Cruise Hive Boards

Viking experience in Fjords

@LukeJ I wouldn't call my experience "visiting Norway". Your experience will actually be a real thing, an unforgettable one! My Disney World trip only gave me a little taste of how wonderful Norway is. Will you be docked at the port all day? I'm hopeful you will have time to explore beyond any excursion you may have booked. Do you speak any Norwegian? That could certainly be a fun language to learn! I don't think it's easy though. It's very different from English. As long as you can get around and know enough to order a good meal, you should be good! 

@3Sisters yes we will be docked at four different port of calls. One of the stops is right outside the village so no need to travel far. Unfortunately I cannot speak their language. I'm not sure what language it is they speak, but as a Scandinavian country, I think it's closer to Danish which I also can't speak. But I will try and learn something in order to get some food.

• Like 1

@LukeJ That's awesome! I wish I could speak Danish and communicate in other languages. I'm better with the Latin languages. I would say learning the basics could be valuable. I get so comfortable in my bubble of the English language. It's good to get out of your element and challenge yourself a bit! I can't want to hear about your experience post cruise!

I tried when I was younger to learn languages, but never got far. I guess it's just the way my brain works. I did learn a few things in Spanish, Italian and German. And speak fluent in Welsh. It's important I feel to learn other languages as it not only helps exercise your mind, but helps bridge gaps to communicate with the rest of the world.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ It's not for everybody and not everyone has the time for it! It's a hard task to learn a new language. Unless you are immersed in it, it's nearly impossible to really grasp a new language. Many people grow up speaking multiple languages in their home. Those people become fluent and bilingual unlike many others that take a secondary language in school but don't actually retain much at all after the course. If you could learn a new language or aa new hobby, what would it be? If I had the time/energy for a new hobby I think I would take up either jiu jitsu or calligraphy, different I know. 

@3Sisters if I'm going away on vacation, I do at least try to learn the language to show manners and consideration of the country that I'm visiting. They like it if you make an effort and you can gel with the locals a bit more. But the countries I tend to visit, a lot do speak the English language, so barriers aren't that really difficult to bridge as somehow you do get to communicate. I've learnt calligraphy a long time ago, and enjoyed. I wasn't all that good, but I was getting there. I should have continued if I'm honest.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ I love how courteous you are! It's so refreshing. When I travel I tend to see so many people that are visitors that act as superiors or elite amongst those natives in that country. It's so contradictory! If you are going to visit a new place, it's important to appreciate other cultures and nationalities while embracing them. Otherwise, what is the point? It's so convenient to visit a location that speaks the same native language you do. It really simplifies traveling to that region. Do you ever use your calligraphy skill?

@3Sisters it's the way of the world unfortunately. I've seen it myself. People go to countries and they demand things their way because that's how they want it. I remind them that we are guests in their country and we should follow their rules. Same as UK, we see people come over to our island, more the merrier, but they demand that we change things to suit them. So it's a conflict wherever we seem to go I'm afraid. 

I don't use my calligraphy skills anymore, I did use it several years ago as a favour for someone in the hospitality trade, but that was about it. Give it a go, you'll only regret not doing it.

• Like 1

@LukeJ How can you spend so much money to visit another country and then have an inferiority complex the whole time? I see the value in being with the locals, appreciating new cultures/languages, and humbling myself to being vulnerable in a foreign place. What is the point of visiting a new place when you aren't going to appreciate everything about it? I don't want to experience an area though a 5-star lens, I want the real local experience! 

Thanks for the calligraphy encouragement! I do think I would enjoy it and use the skill pretty often actually. I like to write place cards for special events at my home. It makes the table setting so lovely! I have seen some simple books that teach the skill. That may be what I start with. 

• Like 1

Because some people aren't capable of being decent at times and manners are no longer required in their eyes. I love absorbing different cultures. I like to see how other people live. Everything from culture, foods and environment.

• Like 1

@LukeJ Manners and morals are totally lacking! I don't understand why those things have gone away. Even the dress your best and dress to impress mentality is basically gone. I like the idea of being casual when you want and not being judged for it, but making things fun and creative is also so enjoyable! I love to put my best face forward and be open minded to learn new things. When you bring new cultures into your home and seek out new cultural experiences, its eye opening! You can constantly grow and expand your horizons if you keep an open mind. 

• Like 1

@3Sisters yes precisely. You have to broaden your horizon. It's so rewarding. I love learning and embracing new things. It makes you as a person. The attitudes today shocks and saddens me. Especially children, they simply don't want to do anything. When I was growing up, I couldn't wait to try everything. I was itching to get it done because it's something I never did before. My wife will never leave the house without make up on and her hair done with nice clean clothes, and I appreciate that. I'm the same. It's not vanity, it's simply pride in something you are doing. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ A great way to broaden a person's horizon is to make them explore the world around them. So many people have never been on a cruise or are fearful of travel. I just don't understand! How can you grow and learn without going a little bit out of your comfort zone? My father in law took hiss first cruise right before 60 and my family treated him to it. The only way I could convince him to go is by telling him we needed his help with the grandkids (which wasn't really the truth). He really enjoy the week-long cruise and I totally think he would do it again, but it's so hard for him to try new things. My father-in-law instilled much of this fear in my husband. My husband barely traveled anywhere before he met me. Now he has tried new foods, met new people, and explored new areas and actually (sort of) enjoy traveling. Thankfully he's fine with my cruising addiction because of the unlimited food/drinks/naps/safety onboard. 

• Like 1

Yes it's a strange one. I can understand the non travelling side of things. Not many like going away, in some sense I am one of them. I'd rather earn money than go on endless vacations. I don't mind going on vacations but my wife is relentless. She wants to go on about 20,000 vacations a year. She's planning the next one before we have even gone on the current one. It drives me insane. I've learnt that life is not all about money. I can see that now, and I'm open to more things lately.

• Haha 1

@LukeJ I think we are married to the same person. My wife just looks forward to constant vacations too. I don't really mind them too much, but sometimes it's nice to earn some money too I guess. You are correct in what you're saying, there is more to life than money and the age old saying you can't take it with you is truer word for situations like this. 

• Like 1

Yes we don't take it with us, but we have also got to live too. I understand that you live by seeing the world and having fun, but that doesn't take away the fact that we have day to day living and these costs are now getting ridiculous. What I don't want to do is to have sleepless nights because we are struggling to pay the bills, because we've blown all our money on yet another vacation that I don't really need, simply because my wife wants something to look forward to. We all want to live that type of life, however it's not as simple as that.

@LukeJ That's so understandable. I think everyone would agree with that statement. If you don't properly budget, it's really hard to fit in extra expenditures. I have tried just spending and living paycheck to paycheck, and it's an awful strategy. I'm more than willing to compromise in my day-to-day expenditures in order to cruise. I don't go out for coffee unless I'm traveling and only go out to eat for special occasions. That's why cruising feels so luxurious too! I live pretty minimally to have a more extravagant vacation that I don't take for granted. It sounds like we choose to cruise for the same reasons and ensure we more proper financial plans in order to fit it into budget. 

It's just a ridiculous thing these costs are just draining. Everything is going up, apart from our salaries. They keep saying that our salaries are rising in conjunction with the rising cost of living, but it's not. I hate the fact they think we are all stupid. The % of the inflation of our salaries are nowhere near of the % of the rising costs of our bills. We have to make a sacrifice each time that yet another cost goes up. What we budgeted for last year is no way the same as it is now. One of them has to be altered to continue to live.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very true. My wages have taken a slump lately, and we are lucky to even have a vacation but it was booked in advance, so we are planning to enjoy this as you never know what's around the corner. We do take this for granted, and with all the stress of cost of living, and inflation, you never know whose next and so easily could lose it all. Hopefully work with me will pick back up, and things won't be so stressful in the future.

• Like 1

I wonder how taxes work for crew members. It's likely out of country income that they are earning. I wonder where they have to pay taxes and fees. I doubt their taxed amount is too high. I have yet to ask a crew member if they actually get to take away the income they make or if they are taxed heavily. In the US (and I know in Europe), workers are taxed pretty heavily. This is why many people like to earn cash or do under the table jobs so there isn't a paper trail. Sometimes I think working an under the table job can be more lucrative! I like to do the right thing and paying my part for society, but with taxes so high, it almost feels like a scam. I'm working to pay for the benefit of others! I often feel like my work is irrelevant to my family because it increases our tax bracket, essentially having us pay higher taxes that comes close to equating my income. Maybe I could avoid such a tax by working on a ship with a cruise contract! 

@Cruising Caribbean that's a good valid point actually, which country would they pay tax on. Would it vary depending on which country the cruise line is from? I don't think it would be very much tax as the wages I've heard are not that very good. 

I do agree with you, wages under the table is the best way, as the government it seems doesn't like people living beyond their means. If they can find a way to tax you for something, they certainly will. And with them putting prices up all over the place, I don't blame people for looking at other alternatives.

I was thinking the same. The wages are typically low, but it's an all expenses paid situation. This is why you won't find many crew members from third world countries. Most of the crew members are from a country where the US dollar goes further. Hopefully the taxes in other countries wouldn't tax higher due to the currency exchange rate in that location. That would be a true shame! Under the table wages can be more lucrative, but for social security purposes earning an honest living can pay off in the end. I don't like when under the table earners cry poor and use all of the government assistance because they qualify due to their undocumented income.