Cruise Hive Boards

Viking experience in Fjords

We are about to be on our way on P&O cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in the next couple of months and have booked the vikings experience as one of our activities while in port. Has anyone got any experience for this?

• Like 1

@LukeJ Congratulations on your upcoming P&O Cruises' itinerary! I have heard such amazing things about Norwegian Fjords, and I think this will be such a memorable cruise experience. I can't give any insight to the vikings excursion, but I do think it will be a worthwhile experience. I'm assuming it's a guided tour, which is the best. Will you be booking any other excursions while on this itinerary? What will the weather be like during your cruise? Will it still be rainy season?

@3Sisters thank you very much. Yes we are looking forward to going. We do have a few excursions, but this one is the one we haven't seen to many comments about so just looking to see if anyone can give us more of an insight. The weather is supposed to be very good, which brightens me up. Even if we do have a few rainy days, I'm still happy because we have constant grey skies and rain in the UK anyway. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ Which other excursions are you considering? The Viking excursion is certainly unique but it's so perfect for the region you are cruising to. What will the temperatures be like? Will you be able to get some pool time in? I'm always curious if all cruise lines heat their pools. It seems the recent Caribbean cruises I have been on don't heat the pools, but the climate is typically exceptionally warm. Does the ship you are cruising on have a pool with a retractable roof? That's the best! If your ship does have that, you can enjoy swimming even if the weather is rainy. It sounds like you are used to the rainy weather. I'm hoping for clear skies and lots of sun for this cruise! It sounds like you need it!

@3Sisters thank you, and yes we do deserve a dry vacation. It's desperately needed. And ironically at the time of writing this, it's dry outside with the sun and has been for 3 days, so we are not complaining. The viking experience is something we are looking forward to, and the other excursion I think was booked was a hiking one. My wife does all the bookings, and I remember her stating that we would be doing hiking outdoors, so proceeded to go out and buy me hiking boots. Even if we don't do any excursions, I'm more than happy looking around the towns and being part of it.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I'm sure you are loving that! The nice and sunny weather is long overdue for you all. A hiking excursion will be lots of fun. If you are bringing along hiking boots I would expect it to be a serious affair. I'm not sure you will be hiking but I recommend bug spray just in case. Sometimes the bugs (like mosquitos) get out of control in humid climates. You don't need an excursion for every port! I often stay on the ship and enjoy the tranquility of the ship. I typically choose to do this when I have already explored that particular port in the past. If I just want drinks, water, and food, I typically just opt to be on the ship instead of having to be off at a certain time and follow a schedule. Something about not having a schedule is such a treat!

• Like 1

My wife loves  a hike. However I used to enjoy walking and running, but my body lets me down now and I struggle to do that for a long period of time, plus we have a 10 year old with us. So I'm sure just a gentle stroll is required on that score. I love walking around somewhere new and explore. I've never been to the country before, so I'm sure we will all enjoy the sights that will follow. I totally understand about staying on the ship if you have been in that port before, I suppose I would too if I was in the same shoes. I've been advised to eat and drink on the ship and go back out to the port to save money, but the whole point is to try the local foods and drink to experience the country's delicacy.

@LukeJ Hiking in the Fjords sounds grand! Between that and the viking experience, you should feel pretty full. Will you be cruising on a seven-night itinerary? I love the idea of eating and drinking on the ship, particularly if you have the drink package! You might as well get your monies worth out of it. Drink packages aren't cheap! Hopefully the hike is a mild hike. I enjoy hiking but my children can be hit or miss with it. If the tour guide is good, you will have plenty of stops to rest and recharge. You can try a specialty drink or food for that region, but a good money saving strategy is of course staying on the ship for all meals. That's not always practical when you book an excursion. My body needs at least three meals a day in a timely fashion. The excursion times always vary and don't always include food so I typically have to eat at least one meal off-ship on excursion days. 

Yes I agree, even just a couple of itineraries is enough for us. There is so much to see and do on the ship as well, that i would be happy. We haven't gone for a drink package as both my wife and I don't tend to drink as much as we should to cover the cost of the drink package. We will be sailing for 7 night itinerary, and just plan to go with where the mood takes us. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ What ship will you be cruising on? Unless you are going to consume a good amount, a drink package really isn't necessary. My husband consumes a lot, from bottles waters to beers I think he does get his money's worth out of it. I don't get enough out of the drink package, but if one in the stateroom gets it, the other needed to purchase it too. I tend to find the best drink package rates to be bundled in your booking type. if you book with a package or experience that includes the drink package, you can expect the overall cost to be lower than if you were to book the drink package on its own. My favorite itineraries are 7-nights. I think that's the ultimate timeframe for a cruise. You get a day or two to lean into vacation mode, and then 5 days of sheer relaxation that you never thought you needed before you are back to reality. 

I will be on the P&O Iona. First time we have been on this ship. We have done our research, and it looks a beautiful ship, so looking forward to going on it. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I love going on ships for the first time! I get so excited to explore the ship and check out all of the amenities onboard. Sometimes it takes me a few days to familiarize myself with a new ship so it's ideal to cruise on a week long itinerary to really get comfortable with it. P&O Cruises' Iona actually had to reschedule its dry dock. Did you see that news? Hopefully your sailing wasn't one of the ones impacted by these changes. She's an absolutely lovely ship!

image.thumb.png.c535cc1e0a0857fa08c7e08d352373ee.png

• Thanks 1

@3Sisters thank you, yes I did see the news regarding the dry dock, and have my wife a heart attack in the process. It's after our sailing thankfully, but it was certainly stop and hold your breath moment for a second. The ship looks stunning inside, and I can't wait to get on there. The fjords look breathtaking, and I can't wait to see that majestic mountains in reality.

• Haha 1

@LukeJ She must have felt super panicked! I'm glad to hear this dry dock won't impede on your cruise plans. I was worried it may have impacted the sailing you were booked on. You will be in that amazing scenery before you know it! Thankfully your cruise is still happening. It's such a bummer to have your cruise plans change last minute. It's honestly so frustrating. I have had mine impacted by the pandemic and it was so upsetting. At least the cruise line reimbursed me for my losses, but I was so looking forward to it! 

Yes it was cruel of me, but an opportunity that was too good to miss. We can laugh about it now, but honestly, we would have been devastated if it turned out to be true. As you state, it's a horrible situation to be in. You spend all that time planning and looking forward to the vacation. Sometimes it's not about the money, but the thought of going to a certain location and to have it taken from you is frustrating. It's happening more and more I've noticed lately, and imo the cruise lines are majority to blame for ridiculous decisions.

• Like 1

@LukeJ That sounds like an awesome excursion! You don't get the opportunity to do a Viking experience everyday. Norway is pretty far from me so I haven't done it yet, but I can't wait to read up on your review of the experience. Most ships end up dry docked for a good cause. Many times by the time they are dry docked, it was long overdue. When itineraries change, it's super frustrating. It feels like your whole cruise experience is cheated. Some cruise lines are better than others in terms of compensating guests for changes or unexpected mishaps. Many cruise lines will give 125% refund if the cruise is canceled for whatever reason. It's not the best outcome, but it's nice to have a bit extra to pour into your next cruise. 

• Thanks 1

Yes it does sound a great excursion and I'm looking forward to it if I'm honest. I'm excited by the whole vacation and being part of the entertainment onboard. I do hope that the itineraries don't change closer to the date as you say it's very frustrating. I realise that some give you compensation but I personally am not interested in the money. I'd rather the itinerary I booked. 

@LukeJ please show us any photos that you take there. I've always found it a beautiful place and would love to see any photographs of your journey. I am jealous you are going there, it seems magical and exciting. Are you excited to go? Where are your ports of call?

• Like 1

@PaulB yes I will definitely put a few photos on for you to see. I am looking forward immensely to the place and believe I will bring some outstanding photographs back with me. I can't recall the ports of call and definitely can't pronounce them ha ha 

@LukeJ I'm so glad you won't have to miss that cruise opportunity. I think you and your family are much looking forward to it at this point. It's approaching quickly! Is there anything you are booked onboard that you are looking forward to? Typically my family and I always purchase an arcade pass for the kids and beverage packages. I don't typically use my beverage package to the fullest but my husband surely does. Do you plan to do any specialty dining onboard? Have you looked into specialty dining options onboard that P&O ship?

• Like 1

Yes not long to go now. It will be nice just to get away from the daily grind of work for a while and just try to relax. I'm looking forward especially to visiting a country I've never been to before and trying out a different way of life to what I'm used to. We haven't booked anything onboard, I'm pretty easy going and take most things in our stride. The drinks package we will not use enough so probably would waste. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ Which countries will you be visiting that are new to you? The food may be different in these countries too! Don't forget about that! The food is one of my favorite parts about traveling. Sometimes just leaving your time flexible is the best way to handle vacation. Drink packages only make sense if you plan to use the enough. Do you plan to bring refillable water bottles onboard your ship? The cost of bottled water does add up quickly. Do you know if the ship you will be on has water filling stations onboard? 

@3Sisters well Norway will be new to me as I've never visited a Scandinavian country before. There are 4 ports of calls including Olden which looks breathtaking. I'm looking forward to trying the different foods. I enjoy trying out the countries dish and absorbing their culture. I can't see me and my wife drinking that much while we there, we aren't very big drinkers as it is, so the drink package won't be worth getting. I've read that there are water filling stations so that's good enough for us as my son only drinks water.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I have visited Norway in Disney World (the park Epcot to be exact)! It's like the most minute depiction of the country and it's absolutely brilliant! I hope you get to enjoy some of the culinary treats of the area. They have some very unique specialties, but also the terrain is just breathtaking. You chose a lovely time of year to cruise there. If you like beer I think a beer in Norway could be a treat! Yes, as long as the ship you are on has a good filling station you can make do. My recommendation is to bring a couple of different fillable options. You can do one cup that you fill to bring to your room for nighttime and then another that's meant for day time while exploring the ship/cruise ports. 

@3Sisters thank you for the tip and the advice. I'm glad you enjoyed Norway and give it such an endorsement. I do enjoy a beer and I plan to have one in any of the ports we stop at. I'm excited to try it's culinary products as that's what I love doing, trying out the countries foods. It baffles me when people go abroad and order the same things they eat at home. Surely it's better to give something else a try. 

• Thanks 1