Cruise Hive Boards

Congratulatory comments

georgie

@LukeJ Isn't rap music poetry with a beat? If you listen to the lyrics, you will realize how poetic they really are. I agree that the problem with most rap music is the fowl language. I'm also a background music listener. Listening to the radio antiquates yourself! No one listens to the radio anymore. Unless you for some reason don't have the opportunity to use a music app, radios are basically a thing of the past. It sounds like your wife may enjoy poetry. Yes, fowl language is annoying, but if you can look past that, it could open up anyone's musical horizons. I enjoy a good beat too, but jazz/piano classics have unbeatable melodies for background music. 

I will take your word for that, as I don't really listen to lyrics. I will make a point of playing a rap song and listen to the actual words. I listen to the radio when driving or if I'm preparing food in the kitchen. We have a radio in there and I'm happy listening to it as I like the songs that are played on one of the radio stations. If I'm out and about, obviously then I can play the apps.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I challenge you to listen to the lyrics! I guess I sound like your wife now. My husband doesn't listen to the lyrics either. Once he does, he enjoys the song in a completely different way. I have a great example of this. A couple of years ago he was singing the song BINGO to our children. He didn't know the song so he was making random sounds for the letters instead of actually spelling the word BINGO (the entire point of the song). He said the song made no sense and then I told him it spelled BINGO. He looks so confused/enlightened/idiotic. Another time was when he was singing the song I Shot the Sheriff probably 5 plus years back, and he sang "I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the refugee." I burst out laughing. I was already married at this point so there was no turning back.

• Haha 1

@3Sisters yeah, your husband does sound like myself to be honest. Even though I must admit, I knew the lyrics to I shot the sheriff. But now I may change that to your husband's words as it's so much better. Or we could all change it did not shoot the referee. 

I accept your challenge, and the next song I hear, I will try my best to listen to the lyrics. 

• Haha 1

@LukeJ That's very honest of you! I'm not sure I lost you with the lyrics as you may not known those songs, but I Shot the Sheriff is supposed to be "I shot the sheriff but I did not shoot the deputy." The refugee replacement totally gave the song an unexpected twist. The referee would be very appropriate for you as you have stated you enjoy coaching! That would also totally change the meaning of the song. Let me know if you end up connecting with a song you never thought you would before. That's why people enjoy karaoke so much while cruising. Typically karaoke stars tend to choose songs they connect with and then sing their heart out. That's why poetry onboard could be successful. It's another form of artful entertainment that people can become deeply connected with. 

@3Sisters Bob Marley was and is still one of my favourite singers. When I met my wife and she used to come over and see me on a Sunday, I'd always be playing his songs, and even now after being together 15 years, she still remembers those days whenever she hears a Bob Marley song. I sing along to all his songs when they are on, but I guess I'm robotically singing them as the lyrics haven't sunk in for me to understand what the meaning of the song is about.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I'm so glad you enjoy Bob Marley too! I have always been fond of his music and honestly it's probably the best reggae I have ever heard. It's great background music for family cleaning days or backyard BBQs. I love how his music brings back memories for you. This may be an example of you connecting with songs and their lyrics! Bob Marley was extremely creative and passionate in his lyrical compositions. Many of his songs are about pertinent topics of the era they were produced. Most all of his songs were filled with passion and importance considering the conflict during the times he was living. 

It is something that I agree with in regards to the lyrics. Each song, I sing along with and the words do resonate with me, even if only part of it sinks in. I'm aware more of his stance and his fight and the history behind it all. It has to the most popular reggae music of all time, and he was way ahead of his time.

• Like 1

@LukeJ It sounds like you do listen to the words in songs if it's something of interest to you! I think many people don't think to listen to the lyrics when they are doing things like exercising or house chores. It can just become background noise. We live in a noisy society. Every restaurant or store has background music now and most everyone drives listening to something or someone. Sitting in silence is quite rare, at least for me. Cruising has a good amount of peaceful spaces where you can get away from the everyday noisy environments. The sun decks and spas are a great example of that. I really enjoy that quiet time. It's something I don't get. If I even have an ounce of free time, I end up doing mindless scrolling on my phone. I like that on cruises I can leave my phone behind! I feel so attached to it all other times!

Yes it's nice to be have peace and quiet at times.  As you say, it's very rare with the world that we live in. Everyone is so noisy ha ha. One of my life goals is just to move to a countryside somewhere, a nice house away from anyone. Enjoy the views, and simply relax. But then again, I'm always looking for something to do, so as long as I can keep myself entertained, then it will be perfect.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I enjoy a mix of live music out by the pool and a peaceful spot to read a book. Some cruise lines offer a larger variety of spaces than others. There are times when I want to be around the party and other times I want to be in aa quiet outdoor space. If I need a quiet indoor space I can choose to go into my stateroom. The libraries onboard cruise ships used to be the optimal indoor quiet space, but now those are nearly nonexistent. I also prefer a good mix of shaded and unshaded areas. What are some of your favorite spaces onboard a cruise ship? Do you prefer the louder outdoor spaces or the quieter options onboard?

image.thumb.png.d9a90349061910e4b1054a9c3ef941dc.png

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas
  • Like 1

I like both aspects in equal measures. Sometimes it's nice to have music distracting you and helps you focus. I know that sounds weird, but if I'm busy, I play music in the background as a soothing distraction so it's not completely silent. On other occasions you want the silence so you can just relax. It all depends on the situation and your thoughts at that particular time you're in.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I like the sounds of background music, but I also prefer the sounds of the breeze/ocean waves. A cruise ship has those sounds on some of the more tranquil spots and that's really the best place to be. The only problem I have with these areas onboard is that they typically don't have shade. I prefer a shaded, quiet, outdoor area. Sometimes other guests catch on to the tranquil spots I claim as my own, but there really is nothing like being in a spot like that smack dab in the middle of the ocean. There is also nothing like watching a sunset in the middle of the ocean either. Have you ever seen the sunset on a sea day? It's the most brilliant sight. It's unbeatable. 

@3Sisters to be honest, I haven't seen a sunset onboard, but that is definitely something that will be on the list for the next ship. My son is older now so we can do more on this trip than we had before, as we can adventure out more, stay up later and be more flexible this time around.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I highly recommend the sunset view from a cruise ship! Particularly watching it on a sea day when there is no land in sight is just the best. It gives a whole new perspective to a sunset. The trick is to make sure you time it right with your dinner seating. Unfortunately I usually dine at the early dinner seating and that often crosses over the dinner hour. If you can at least make it a point to see it one night, you won't regret it. That may just mean you have to eat in the buffet to squeeze it in but it's well worth it. Make sure you take the opportunity to take some great photos! There really is no better backdrop than that!

image.thumb.png.b11adb056e239f1fb24f892d2e66f1a6.png

@3Sisters thank you so much for the tip. I will definitely make it a point to see it. As a photographer, I always find an opportunity to get fantastic images and a sunset is one that I cannot ignore. We live close to the sea ourselves, well a good 20 minutes drive and the sunset we can get on a clear day is mesmerising. The colours and the shapes of the rolling clouds that follow. Beautiful.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I didn't know you were a photographer! That's so cool! I hope you get some good shots of your next cruise and share them with the group. You can't fake a real sunset backdrop. Each sunset is so unique and majestic. Also, the time frame you have to sunset photos is quite limited, making the experience that much more impressionable. I'm quite jealous you live so close to the sea! Living that close, how often would you say you go? I remember living that close, but I didn't take advantage of the proximity like I should have. If I lived that close again, I would make more efforts to enjoy that scenery. If you have it, you have to take advantage of it! 

@3Sisters yes have been interested in photography for over 30 years now and did have a business many years back. Sunsets are majestic. As you say no sunset is ever the same, and my grandparents lived in a small village next to the sea and we regularly used to watch and photograph the best sunsets. Some people though I had photoshopped it as it was breathtaking. Nope I don't believe in Photoshop, I let the camera do all the work. The reason I took that photo was simply because of what was in front of me. We used to go to the beach a lot when I was younger, but now with life getting in the way, and not to mention the absolute disgraceful weather that we get in the UK, it's not a done deal about visiting the seaside.

• Like 1

@LukeJ Well you can certainly appreciate a good sunset then! Have you ever done a sunset shoot? I would imagine those were very popular and since the ocean wasn't that far from you it would make sense! You will really enjoy the opportunity onboard a ship. It's impressive you don't use photoshop! I think everyone does nowadays. I don't trust any photo to be genuine and true anymore. How is the water climate now? If the water is tolerable, you have to take advantage of that for sure! I grew up in part close to the Pacific ocean and it was cold, tolerable in the summer but still pretty cold. Despite the strong waves and cold water temps, I remember enjoying the ocean and swimming in it with a wetsuit as a kid. 

• Like 1

I certainly can appreciate a good sunset. Where my grandparents used to live was down by a marshland. So when the water came in to a high tide, there was pools of water dotted around the marshland. When either sun was setting or even lovely sun breaking through the clouds, I'd use the opportunity to take the reading from the sky which silhouetted the land around it but the pools of water stood out because of the light readings. The water I remember was always cold, and always has been. Even the ocean at summer was never truly warm.

• Like 2

@LukeJ A marshland sounds nice, but were you able to get in that water? Typically marshlands attract many bugs and reptile species. I used to live out by the Everglades and that's what I picture when I think of marshland scenery. Wow, you really gave such a majestic picture of the area looked like for you. The Everglades in Florida are known for massive pythons, mosquitos, constant humidity, and lots of muddy water. Your marshland experience was much different than mine!

• Like 1

Yes we did swim in there as back in the 80s and early 90s there was no health and safety or even the knowledge of what the water could do to you as clear as the information is now. We certainly didn't have pythons or crocodiles swimming along there with us. I think from research it was more like your version of chesapeake bay, but would only be high several times a year.

• Like 1

@LukeJ The water in a marshland isn't generally the cleanest, but clearly you enjoyed and are alright! The marshland you grew up around sounds very different than the Everglades, thankfully. The Everglades aren't known to be swimmable, hence the dangerous wildlife. I haven't been to Chesapeake Bay before! I would absolutely love to cruise over there. There are some cruise options that go out that way. The marshland you grew up around likely had little to no waves! That's pretty nice for tranquil swimming. What was the water floor like? Did it have sand?

It 100% was not safe or the cleanest, and I would never let my child swim in there. But growing up in that era, it just wasn't thought about. My grandparents would never let us swim in there if they ever knew what the dangers were. I had a fun childhood, because we could just do whatever what we saw as fun without thinking of the risks or the dangers. However time has moved on from those days. There was no waves, it was just flat and it was very tranquil. Parts of the water floor varied as most was the marshland so nice grassed areas, but the deeper parts was the river bed that flooded so there was rocks there.

• Like 1

@LukeJ It's so nice you grew up near water! There is something so wonderful about being able to play in the water as a child. In fact, I took my children to play in the water today! I think that fancy free childhood experience is missed in our society today.  I worry maybe the overprotective, technological era our children are growing up in today is a bit too much. I have reverted much of my parenting style back to when I was a child, when it was simpler. The little things were important and human connection was far superior to that of a video game. I'm sure the marshland you used to explore was far different than that of the chlorinated pool I was in today. One thing I am certainly thankful for is the elimination of snakes in that water. I'm such a scaredy cat when it comes to snakes or reptiles! Even salamanders and geckos gross me out.

• Haha 1