Unvaccinated children

We have a cruise planned for feb 2022. We booked  this in April 2021 . We have 3 families, 6 adults and 5 kids all under age 10. 3 of the children can’t be vaccinated even if a vaccine is approved for over age 5. 2 kids are age 1 and the other 4. 
we’ve been told if we cancel the cruise we lose our deposit and insurance that we paid . The balance isn’t being charged out until November 22, 2021, so we have to cancel before then. 
not getting our deposit back is crazy! The children and parents can’t help they can’t get the vaccine even if they wanted. It’s not available to them. 
carnival needs to refund ALL $!! 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carnival has not released full protocols for the cruises during the first 2 months of the new year, yet. The reason being they sincerely hope that the vaccine will be available to children 5-12 that more of the 5% exemption spaces open for those younger and those 5 & over not medically able to take the vaccine. 

The best advice I can give any family planning to travel with younger children is to go into your VIFP or Cruise Manger profile at Carnival's website and make sure your contact preferences are turned on and that you double check you "potential" spam folder in email for any communications that could have updates. ESPECIALLY when the exemption forms are being accepted for your cruise date.

Though not the best news (because at best you will only have 14 days notice of not being able to sail), if the 2022 protocols continue as they are now (see below) if your cruise needs to be cancelled due to lack of receiving exemptions for unvaccinated children that even non-refundable deposit booking promo codes can get a full refund or do the rebook with those funds and get bonus perks in accordance with whatever the current customer service offer is. 

As per Carnival's website at https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

VACCINE EXEMPTIONS – PROCESS FOR UNVACCINATED GUESTS (SAILINGS THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2021)

Are unvaccinated guests allowed to travel on sailings which are operating under vaccinated standards?*

Requirements for cruise ships to enter ports outside the U.S. continue to evolve and Carnival Cruise Line must operate in full compliance with these regulations. Most recently, the Government of The Bahamas has announced that effective September 3, cruise lines calling on any Bahamian port must be able to confirm that all guests 12 and older are fully vaccinated, with exemptions only for those with a medical condition that prohibit vaccination. Other destinations in the Caribbean normally included in our itineraries have implemented similar limitations. Given the number of itineraries that include multiple destinations throughout the Caribbean and, in particular, in The Bahamas, and the need for us from time to time to adjust itineraries due to medical, technical or weather emergencies, we will now operate all sailings under this requirement.

Consequently, vaccine exemptions for cruises to the Caribbean will be limited to a very small number of children under 12, and teens and adults with a medical condition who can provide written confirmation from their medical provider that they cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. Our sailings from Florida, Texas, Louisiana, and Maryland will operate under these criteria until December 31, 2021 with the assumption that current and evolving restrictions imposed by destinations will remain in place.

Unfortunately, all other vaccine exemptions previously granted for upcoming sailings cannot be fulfilled due to these new limitations. If you have already received an exemption approval for anyone in your party that does not meet the requirements of these two categories (under 12 or proven medical condition that prohibits vaccination), that exemption is no longer valid. If you would like to rebook for a later date or request a refund, please contact us at 1-800-CARNIVAL, your Carnival Personal Vacation Planner, or your travel agent.

Vaccine exemptions for ships departing from Long Beach, California will be accepted for children under 12 and as required by U.S. federal law (in accommodation of medical reasons and sincerely held religious beliefs).

Exemptions for children and adults are not guaranteed and are capacity-controlled based on the total number of vaccinated guests projected to be on board. Unvaccinated guests must closely follow the application process and if granted an exemption, must abide by our requirements and protocols.

A request for a capacity-managed exemption must be submitted within 48 hours of making a new reservation. Requests will be processed after the booking is paid in full, in sailing date order, and once we have finalized the estimated vaccinated guest count.

If you are an unvaccinated guest, your reservation is not considered confirmed unless you receive an approved exemption, which will be issued within 14 days of sailing. Any unvaccinated guests whose exemptions are approved will be required to review and agree to all the restrictions and protocols listed above prior to boarding the ship.

If we are unable to approve the request, guests will have the option to cancel the unvaccinated guest(s) from a reservation, move to a future sailing date or cancel with a full refund to the original form of payment. Unfortunately, we cannot assist with expenses related to a denied exemption request, and guests assume all risks related to non-refundable travel costs (i.e., air fare, hotel).

* On Carnival Pride® October 31, 2021 from Baltimore; Carnival Glory® November 28, 2021 from New Orleans; and Carnival Miracle® November 28, 2021 from Long Beach, vaccine exemptions will only be accommodated as required by law.

* Sailings January through February 28, 2022: The vaccine exemption process for sailings in 2022 is currently not open. We are optimistic that vaccines will be approved and available for children between 5 and 11 years of age before the end of the year enabling us to welcome more of our families with young children back on board! We will provide guests with an update as the situation evolves or keep checking back on this page where we will post our most updated information.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 11:17 AM, Dawn said:

We have a cruise planned for feb 2022. We booked  this in April 2021 . We have 3 families, 6 adults and 5 kids all under age 10. 3 of the children can’t be vaccinated even if a vaccine is approved for over age 5. 2 kids are age 1 and the other 4. 
we’ve been told if we cancel the cruise we lose our deposit and insurance that we paid . The balance isn’t being charged out until November 22, 2021, so we have to cancel before then. 
not getting our deposit back is crazy! The children and parents can’t help they can’t get the vaccine even if they wanted. It’s not available to them. 
carnival needs to refund ALL $!! 

Something else to consider... even if the kids do get the exemptions, the kid's clubs are not currently open.  SO, without the kid's clubs to entertain the young ones, there will be no parent down time.  To me, that's not a vacation. I need some me time to relax.  Also, even if they open it back up, they may not allow unvaccinated kids to partake.  Not sure because they haven't really discussed it.  I do know that I will NOT be bringing my children on a cruise until the kid's club is fully operational because it is a life-saver for my husband and I who like to gamble in the evenings, not to mention, my 7 year old loves it and would be bored without it.  Best of luck, they should refund all money if not allowed to sail.

• 1 month later...