Cruise Hive Boards

Alcohol

@LukeJ I do think the prices of alcohol onboard are a bit steep, but that's like anywhere else! Any high end hotel or restaurant charges way too much for drinks but it doesn't bother anyone. If you can't afford the drinks there don't go there! Cruising can be super affordable if you do it right. For a family, you can really save on airfare, food costs, and hotels. I find cruising to be more affordable for my family, but I choose more middle-class, mediocre cruises that definitely become the ultimate vacation to me! 

@Seaawgs I didn't even know those facts! Both of those holidays aren't even "American" holidays, yet Americans go above and beyond to drink in excess, celebrating these holidays. I can't drink during the day anymore. It will change the trajectory of my entire day, usually leading me to a headache. Drinking permeates our cultures during holidays and special occasions, but people forget there are other ways to have fun and make good memories aside from alcohol. Alcohol consumption tends to be important to have fun in our culture! 

@Seaawgs ha ha yeah I can actually see your point of view. It's true now thinking about it, it doesn't matter who you are, and what background you come from, events like this do bring you together. I never thought about St. Patricks day onboard, and I believe the US celebrate the day more than the UK.

@LukeJ I see the point in gathering over a beverage and how fun those "memories" can be. I just don't like when we pressure one another in really any way. I love the option of having a beverage if you feel like it; I have a problem with people pressuring others to drink. St. Patricks day is a big drinking holiday. The US only enjoys it because of the food, fun, and mostly because of the beer. Ireland is a great place and celebrating this day in the US fits the bill, but many people don't actually care about the holiday, they participate for the booze. 

image.png.935ea7dd498bb0c9bffa8af5b7710a90.png

No I don't like the pushiness of some people either, @Cruising Caribbean. I've dealt with things like that and it puts me off. These people seem to think that they only way you can enjoy yourself is if you get really drunk. I've heard pushy people come up and try and convince us to drink and call us boring. "You should be having fun." And I say "for the record we are having fun, we've been getting on brilliantly with our friends and even been up to dance. Only now you've ruined it for us."

@LukeJ CCL has increased its bottled water price. This isn't the first time, but actually the third time over the past 17 months. At this point, bottled water is about the same price as bottom shelf alcohol. I wish there was more accessibility to water fountains onboard cruise ships. It seems so strategic that cruise lines push alcohol that makes you thirsty but the easily accessible water is bottled. If the bottled water is costing this much, cruise lines should opt for a more eco-friendly solution! All of that plastic is no good. I see what you are saying about the alcohol push. I don't like the societal pressures on a regular basis or on vacation. It's not my preferred way to unwind anyhow. I would rather go for a run or into a hot tub. 

image.thumb.png.6d272fe61a0001ca0948de7bbbe9baee.png

These increases are absolutely disgusting in my view. Within 18 months, there is a 202% increase for a 12 pack of water. These companies should hang their heads in shame. They are playing with people, exploiting them as they know the demand for bottled water is there. Little things like that makes my blood boil. I know it's not much in the grand scheme of things, but to me it's the cruise line not giving any care whatsoever to it's guests.

• Sad 1

@LukeJ I'm convinced CCL would rather guests drink alcohol than water with those prices! I understand that cruise lines are trying to turn a bigger profit, but water is an essential. Guests need water! It's something we can't live without. Yes, there are other options onboard, but when you are thirty and a refill station isn't around, bottled water is your option. I would not drink the water that comes from the bathroom sinks. Anything that comes from the buffet area with a filter is much safer! If you are drinking out of the bathroom sinks, you are taking a risk. You don't know the quality of that water! 

I brush my teeth with it, so tap water on a ship is fine. The gym offers the next best option. Touching anything in the buffet has risks. The sources of bottled water can also be quite dubious. Let's not forget that EVIL plastic bottle, be an ECO warrior. Other entertainment venues (Disney, Broadway theaters etc.) charge $5 and up for a bottle of water. Only the guy on the Flamingo rd crossover in Vegas has held steady at a buck.

During the pandemic,  cruise lines borrowed hundreds of millions to stay afloat. That along with world governments economically empowering a whole new group of people means ALL prices will keep going up. 

• Thanks 1

If alcohol goes up in prices, you can take it or leave it really. You know the cruise lines are making profits, it just shows you how much profit they want to make, not need to make. But water, they know people need water not just want it, they need it and will pay for it. I wouldn't trust the water that comes from the taps personally, yes you can wash in it and brush teeth but not to consume litres a day that we do. So that's why I think the cruise line is being disgraceful, they are taking advantage of the supply and demand scenario.

• Like 1

@Seaawgs You make some really great points. I see why cruise lines have increased certain prices to try to recover from those significant losses. I also brush my teeth with the tap water onboard cruise ships and thankfully have been fine. I figure it's safe enough, but I wouldn't drink out of it. I prefer to bring a refillable water onboards my cruises and refill them at the buffet area. If you bring a stainless steel cup, the water will stay cool for hours, and it's simple to bring one along with you and leave one filled in your cabin for night time if needed. Even when I have the drink package, I feel comfortable with my refillable water routine. I snag bottle water here and there, but it doesn't keep my water cool out by the pool. It's annoying that CCL is clearly targeting water and how essential it is to all guests. It's a strategy, but I agree with @LukeJ that it's very evident cruise lines are trying to target the vast majority of guests to pay more for a staple item. 

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

@Kendall James-VargasI'm happy to drink water from a plastic bottle when available. Those seeking to profit will always use our preferences against us. The question becomes, how much of a hostage are you willing to be. @FJB decided Celebrity surpassed that limit with drink package prices. Perhaps we can dust off our smuggling skills. The argument of water being a necessity for life may work against you. Who wouldn't pay a few extra bucks to stay alive. Carnival stock is less than half of its average value before covid while Royal Caribbean stock has surpassed pre pandemic levels. 

• Like 1

@Seaawgs I agree that bottled water just seems the safest. Thankfully I have never experienced a sickness from water onboard a ship, but I also pride myself in being mindful/careful of the water sources I choose. It's true this seems like a thoughtful strike on a favorable product. Your statement of "who wouldn't pay a few extra bucks to stay alive" made me laugh. Those stock values do speak volumes. I wonder why RCL's stock has recovered seemingly faster than CCL's. What is your thought on that?