Cruise Hive Boards

New internet pricing

The news is that the costs are escalating even though the new  Starlink connection is less expensive to the cruise line. Another way to push the packages. I have always been exclusively a Princess cruiser but that is changing. Two different lines last year (not Princess) and one Princess and one other line this year. I would prefer the Plus over Premier as I don't use much of what Premier offers. The tipping point? You cannot get sparkling wine on Plus. They only offer Prosecco and Moscato and they are both much  too sweet for my taste. So they got me....

• Sad 1

I'm surprised to read of this. If the cruise companies are getting a cheaper alternative, why is it costing the guests more? That sounds like total greed to me, and I don't particularly like that. Is there a valid reason for this?

• Thanks 1

@LDWS I see your frustration about the Starlink prices. The service is better, but it of course is coming at us at a price. I try to avoid the wifi connection during my cruise when possible. It's an extra expense that just takes me away from the relaxation of my cruise experience. I'm not a big Moscato fan either. It's my least favorite wine actually. Prosecco is a standard offering that's fine out by the pool, but again, not my favorite. The install price for the service costs a bit of overhead too. It's just something to consider with the overall prices the lines are throwing at guests. Will you still continue to cruise with Princess Cruises despite these increases? 

I've read that Starling is the next big thing with fast connectivity, and all ships will have this installed. So I understand the reason why you would have to pay more for better service, however if it's costing the cruise line less, then surely this should be passed on to its passengers.

I see where you are coming from but you have to think about the Starlink install prices. Sure, the month-to-month costs are more than covered by cruise guests, but the crruise lines had to have it installed and tested for months beforehand! It only makes sense the price will go up with better service. If you don't want to pay the prices (I don't), then don't purchase the package! Thankfully it's not a mandatory fee. It's really hard for me to understand why guests want to cruise and work at the same time. If you have to work on "vacation" I'm not sure you can really call it a vacation. Unless cruising is a part of your daily lifestyle, I would recommend cruising when you can unplug from technology. 

I don't go for wi-fi when onboard anyhow. I want to go for the relaxing vacation where I just think and concentrate on myself and my family with no distractions from the outside world. I understand that people need the connectivity, and as everything in the world, you pay for that privilege. It's supply and demand to these companies. If nobody paid for the wi-fi onboard, then the companies would have no choice but to lower the costs. However if passengers are still paying then there is absolutely no chance that those costs will ever go down. 

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ If you need the service, the price is well worth it. If you don't need (really need) wifi during your cruise, you should opt out. I don't find the price sensible unless you are generating income from the service and need it. If you need wifi, having faster service is worth it because productivity time is money. You are working faster and hence making more during the your working timeframe. I find it hard to assume that such a faster service would come at a cheaper or even same price point. 

What I really want to know is, if the Starlink wifi being emitted all across the ship is excessive to guests. When I'm home, I turn off my wifi and bluetooth ect. before bed to reduce the amount of signal my family is exposed to during our rest hours. The fast Starlink service has to come with increased radioactivity. 

@LukeJ I highly recommend turning off bluetooth and wifi when you can. The constant emissions are no good and hard to escape. I would say they are almost impossible to escape. Our everyday radiation exposure (particularly from our phones) is way more than what is good for us. Unfortunately there is no escaping it, and bluetooth headphones are also so very bad for us. It's the unfortunate truth about our digitalized society today. If you look into the longterm effects of this type of constant exposure, it will blow your mind! Constant communication at our fingertips comes at a price to our health.