Cruise Hive Boards

What is allowed onboard?

Although me and my wife have been on a cruise before and enjoyed, this is the first time my son has been old enough to enjoy the vacation with us, however wants to take some gaming consoles with him. We've explained that we don't think we can take it with us onboard and that the ship has a gaming room for him to play in. But he asked if he could have a console in our stateroom for when we are having downtime in there? Is this something that cruise lines allow?

every cruise line as a few little differences on what it is allowed to bring on board.   That said gaming consoles are generally allowed.  Your bigger problem generally is that unless they are self contained many ships have the connections to the TV covered up so you can't connect it to your TV.

• Thanks 1

@Woody14 That's a good observation. I actually haven't checked out the ports in the back of the television. Typically, the channels onboard are no good in my opinion so I rarely watch the TV. For gaming, usually, the teen/pre-teen clubs have tons of gaming consoles the kids play and share together. I would recommend bringing any gaming device that is handheld, and playing with the communal consoles instead while socializing with others! The kids in teen clubs have competitions and such. It's a fun time!

Or you could say that the companies won't allow you to rake the gaming consoles onboard, and there isn't a lot you can do about it. White lies are acceptable when it comes to a nice peaceful vacation. I'm sure your son would enjoy his time away from the screens 

I agree with @LukeJ! I break from the everyday may be a great thing. That is the point of vacation! Personally, I wouldn't entertain the idea of bringing a gaming console on board. The benefits of socializing while playing and doing other family-oriented activities will surely end up being more memorable than gaming in the stateroom. It will end up being a treat to get back to reality and something to look forward to post-cruise! The arcade will likely be a hit for your family as well. Which cruise line will you be cruising with? 

Totally agreed. My kids love going away and despite them loving gaming, they appreciate the time away from the screens and seeing bits of the world. They feel rejuvenated like the rest of us, and more importantly, they have great memories before getting back to their norm.

@LukeJ Sometimes kids don't know any better until they try out something new. There is something to be said about making real, tangible memories and being present with your family. The engagement you have without accessing phones or media is significantly different than the tech-focused world we live in. Your children appreciate you more when you are giving them undivided, relaxed attention. When I'm in my day-to-day I'm distracted and easily aggravated, doing many things at once. The engagements I have with my kids on vacation are slower; it's kinder and more patient. It's different. I'm like a yes-lady instead of a constantly no-lady. It's important your kids get to see that side of you too! I consider that time with my family the most important engagement of the entire year. 

@Cruising Caribbean that's a really good point that you've put across. Yes we do run around spinning plates and get easily distracted and you end up being a no-parent as you say. So perfectly put that, it's important to re-engage and it makes up better parents too, because of the relaxation side of it, with the children seeing another side to you.

Thanks @LukeJ! I don't always want to be the nagging parent, but I'm always teaching/correcting behaviors to a fault. My husband wants to talk to me when he comes home and I have no more energy to talk! Engaging with my husband on another level is really important too. He gets to see me dress up in the evenings instead of barely hanging on with a messy bun. I feel relaxed enough to engage in casual conversations that I usually dismiss because we are both on autopilot. The relaxed setting of a cruise vacation is important for everyone! So many of my friends ask me how I'm able to take my kids along with me on vacation. Believe it or not, I enjoy it and even though it's more work, it's a more memorable experience. For this very reason, cruising needs to be at least a week-long experience for me. I want to be able to fully unwind and unplug with my family. It usually takes my husband a good 24-48 hours to disconnect from work in his mind. Cruising is just so healing and restorative in more ways than you can imagine!

@LukeJ You crack me up. It may not be your fault. It may just be based on being married to the same person for too long! Sometimes you run out of things to say. My husband has these topic of conversation cards but we never read them. Last night we were going to sleep and I tried talking to my husband. He stated (and I quote), "Why are you talking to me right now? You are supposed to sleep. I'm not used to you talking this late so I think you should go to sleep." At least I can say I tried! We are your typical phone scrollers before bed. That's a habit we should try and break, but it's just so much fun to send each other funny videos!

@3Sisters I have to admit, I may have to side with your husband on this one. My wife is another that does that. Hasn't said a word all evening to me, and soon as I settle down, ready for sleep, I get asked "what should we talk about?" "Absolutely nothing." Had her chance for six hours, not starting at midnight.

• Haha 1

@LukeJ How could you? I'm joking. It's funny that you would side with him. I get so distracted during the day, and then my mind finally relaxes before bed. My husband doesn't see it like that! There is a like a talking window for him. After 10 pm, the taking window closes unless it's a special occasion. I guess I could work on talking during the "talking window." Sometimes I don't think about it until it's too late! Cruises offer talking window exceptions. For instance, if my husband has a few beers and it's 11 pm at night, talking window rules can be broken. I think the closed window is changed to the waking hours the following day when he's hungover at that point. Talking to a hungover companion is a "window closed" scenario. 

This seems to be universal in relationships. Always find that discussions are at awkward times, and require a window for these opportunities ha ha. My wife brings up conversations that she swears we discussed, and I know that we hadn't. 

@3Sisters seriously she is a nightmare. Always wants deep meaningful conversations when the lights are out and all I want to do is go to sleep. She's been sleeping on the sofa all evening, despite me telling her not to, but I know nothing clearly. If I say no, I get the "you're no fun" speech. No you're right, I'm not at this time. Four hours ago, I was a hoot, but you wouldn't know. 

• Haha 1

@LukeJ The ebbs and flows are what make the world go round. Some months are just better than others in a relationship! I guess the nightmare comes on at night before bed. When this starts happening it's just better to switch things up. Sometimes all life needs is a little spice. It can be hard to have an amicable relationship with the same person for so long. Things change and sometimes your relationship dynamic has to change too. This is another great reason to cruise! It took my husband a while to figure out how helpful a real vacation is to keeping life fun. He didn't grow up with vacations so he used to think it was just a waste of money. Getting out of your everyday routine is so necessary! It's worth every penny, and I'm one to keep our vacations very budget-friendly too. Creating lasting memories with your family is priceless. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure we are married to the same person. It's certainly déjà vu when reading about your situation. However she loves vacations, especially cruising. So I'm happy to be swept along with the ride as long as it keeps her happy for a spell.

• 1 month later...

Were you able to confirm if your gaming console would be allowed in your stateroom? I would imagine cruising without the console would be much better overall. It takes up luggage space and would cause for a distraction during your vacation! Hopefully the kids club has some of the games your son will enjoy so he gets to enjoy playing while at sea. That would be the most convenient option!