Cruise Hive Boards

Sickness On Ventura

Bubble

@Bubble Do you have any insider details on this? I did not know these issues of sickness have been happening since November. If that truly is the case, I'm very intrigued to know why it has all gone on for so long. Why would it have taken this long to hit the headlines? There is always more to the story than what meets the eye. I'm saddened for the guests and crew members who have had to endure this potential vacation of sickness. No one wants to be sick on vacation! The worst is when you have an upset stomach on an endless buffet cruise. That truly ruins anyone's vacation. 

• 5 weeks later...

That is a bit of a worry if sickness continues onboard. I totally understand how sickness can reach a party but after some time, it will eventually go. If that bug lingers for longer, then cleanliness needs to be addressed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see there have been a slowdown on the sickness bugs onboard cruises lately. There is nothing worse than on vacation and sickness surrounds you. If you're ill it certainly ruins anything positive you can take from the time away.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ I'm very glad to see this too, considering I will be cruising in less than 10 days! Sickness on vacation is just the worst, especially when it's a stomach virus. I happen to think cruise lines are very clean for the most part. I have yet to experience a filthy ship. Have you encountered sickness on a cruise? Sickness always finds me and my family on airplanes. That's usually the way we get sick, and it's almost unavoidable. Even if I wipe the surfaces we still get sick. I believe the recirculating air is the culprit. It's others germs being blown directly into your face. The filters on an airplane can't be good, and the proximity in which you sit next to one another doesn't help either. 

I have been on cruises where there were sickness bugs doing the rounds. Fortunately we never caught it onboard, but felt a little sick after we returned, but didn't amount to anything bad thank goodness. Unfortunately, people do not do enough to keep germs away, the countless times, I see people never washing their hands. Basic hygiene is to be looked at, and we should go back to cleansing properly.

• Like 1

You are right! Hygiene is key. If you don't wash you hands enough, at least before every meal, you are much more likely to catch a virus onboard. I understand illness can come from the food we consume, but that too can be avoided to some degree. I try to avoid many raw things onboard, especially the salad bar. Not only can it be hard to properly wash the lettuce, but it can easily get cross contaminated. Anything cooked is typically easier to avoid food born illness. You also have to realize the self-serve tongs aren't always the cleanest. I would sanitize your hands after serving your food at the buffet. I always feel the most comfortable in the MDR! The food is fresh/made to order, hasn't been sitting out, and has not crossed paths with other passerbys. 

I'm with you on that score, they always tell you to avoid the salads, having ice in their drinks. It's true, and our bodies aren't used to that. So I always tend to aim for the hot foods, if cooked will go over the necessary temperature for salmonella to be avoided at least. However you can catch flu and colds just by touching things around you. So cleanse as you go, and that should cut the sickness bugs.

@Bubble Sickness in November, or fall/winter season is common regardless of where you are! Sickness travels quickly, especially when you guard is down. The best way to avoid sickness is by being aware and taking care of yourself. Keeping healthy is an important part of having a great cruise! In terms of food borne illness, that can be inevitable too. Cruise lines are typically held to very high standards (which I greatly appreciate). If you know anything about food safety, you will make educated choices at the buffet as @LukeJ mentioned. Some foods are more risky in general like bottom feeders. Tap water and ice onboard, and off the ship, can be a bit sketchy. Just sticking to wine and bottled water is a good choice for me! If you see things coming right off the grill at the buffet, that's when you grab your food. It's nice and fresh! I also like to get simple pizza or things that can stay out at room temperature for a while without developing any questionable bacteria. 

Sickness is everyone on land at this time of the year, so no doubt confined onboard is even harder to escape from. As long as we stick to what people tell us, I know you know your body, but sometimes common sense does prevail. I always tend to listen to people's advice who have been there before me. It could prove to be valuable advice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@LukeJ Speaking of sickness, I'm curious how many guests actually get sea sick onboard cruises. As an avid cruiser, I have yet to feel awfully sea sick onboard a cruise itinerary. I have felt sea sickness on a smaller boat but never on a cruise ship! Maybe I have been lucky with smooth sailing or my body is more tolerable than most. I usually bring Dramamine along just in case. For those that get motions sickness, what over the counter medicine works best? 

image.thumb.png.6dff00f54602aaa0b784211966ea6c42.png

I generally tend to get sea sick 🤢 at the beginning, especially if I'm sailing on an empty stomach. I am getting better the more I sail, but there is a small feeling then mostly. As soon as I have food and if I have to an alcoholic beverage, then it settles down and I can continue with the rest of the day. 

@LukeJ That could be an easy fix! You shouldn't be cruising on an empty stomach, especially when there is unlimited food onboard. It's fair to say you need to get your money's worth out of the buffet to settle your stomach. Over the counter medicines can be very effective but I have never needed them. If I was taking a transatlantic cruise I could possibly find a need, but thankfully I have never encountered flooding or any horrid weather onboard a cruise. I can't say which medicine works the best since I haven't taken it, but even if you don't bring medicine onboard, the ship usually sells it in its convenience store.