TRAVEL INSURANCE

Why are you considering travel insurance- age, medical issues, family issues? Are you looking for cancel-for-whatever-reason insurance or just insurance to cover medical?

We’ve only purchased travel insurance for 2 trips out of more than 30 vacations/cruises we’ve taken over the years - once for our Australia/NZ cruise vacation only because of all of the moving parts for this 3 week trip and the other for a 7 day Caribbean cruise we took early this year. The reason we did it for this one was because when we booked the cruise last fall, there was talk of the bat soup flu returning and I refused to get the clot shot or wear a face diaper for a cruise.  No claim on either policy and no other issues thru the years with traveling that would require insurance.  By my calculations, we have saved enough by not purchasing travel insurance to take 2 additional cruises.  

YMMV

• Thanks 1

@FJB Your face diaper comments always make me laugh. All of your questions are very valid. @Sassy What are your reasons for wanting to purchase travel insurance? The time of year and the hurricane season are definilty two important reasons for wanting to purchase travel insurance. Things do happen and having backup insurance is a smart move if you can afford it. It can get pretty expensive but with the uncertainty of life today; it's better to be safe than sorry.

image.png.70f1c50e8beecd6864d7ed197a7a4922.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 10:14 PM, Sassy said:

Suggestions for travel insurance and how much should I get. We will be in the Caribbean for 7 days

All travellers should get travel insurance.  You never know what could happen.  You don't want to get stuck with a huge bill if you need medical assistance while abroad.  Plus, if you need to cancel your trip, you want to be covered for that as well or your baggage goes missing en route.   It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

• Thanks 1

@Maria Thanks for sharing this tip! Hopefully, @Sassy takes your wise council into consideration. The biggest expense you could likely encounter is a medical bill onboard a cruise ship. Humans are not invincible and life happens. The traveler's insurance covers guests from many unexpected that may occur. From getting an illness to an unforeseen accident, the minimal cost of travel insurance can protect you against thousands of dollars in costs. What most guests don't know is that your traditional medical insurance does not cover you in events such as these while on vacation out of the country. Do you typically purchase travelers insurance every time you cruise or only for certain itineraries? 

@MariaYou make a good argument. I typically do not purchase traveler's insurance, but I really should start doing it. I feel like I'm taking a big risk every time I don't. As you mentioned, the medical coverage is just one portion of the insurance coverage. You get more than you think when you purchase traveler's insurance. Does your provincial medical coverage cover you while on the ship? From what I know about the medic on the ship, usually, it's fully out-of-pocket-only care. Baggage loss is a huge coverage and I believe there is a flight incentive too (like travel transportation expense coverage) that could be used in case of an emergency. 

@Maria That seems so different from the U.S. health insurance that I have. The provincial medical coverage you have seems so much better!  I would imagine there is a number to call for any situation and it likely would be taken care of. It's a really wise choice to purchase it, and I believe I will purchase it for future cruises. I'm glad you shared your perspective on this.

• 3 months later...

I purchase travel insurance for all cruises.  I am going to rethink doing this.  Norwegian cancelled our cruise twice, both scheduled for this fall.  I was not able to get a refund or credit, even with the travel agent’s assistance.  Norwegian cancelled the cruise.  There are no provisions for this in the coverage offered.  

• Like 1

@Charles S I can't believe NCL cancelled your cruise twice! That's a bad track record. I also can't believe it didn't benefit you in the slightest. Where do you typically purchase your travel insurance? If you purchased it through the line, I would expect better outcomes. It almost seems like a scam to me. I also think the travel agent should have worked harder on your behalf. It doesn't sound right at all.