Cruise Hive Boards

Key West

I'm sure I read that the state are having a meeting to decide whether to allow this to happen. I can see both sides of the argument. One side people are talking about the environmental impact these ships are causing the area, and then the other half are speaking up in regards to lost finances their companies are experiencing because of the lesser passengers and sailings coming to the area.

• Like 1

@Bill Rhodes I definitely value what you are saying. It could be construed as elitist, but there is a  valid argument behind allowing smaller cruise ships only. The larger cruise ships bring lots of guests that generate tons of income for Key West! It's beyond turning a profit and being "elitist." The area does need to be very careful with environmental factors. The trajectory of the area and its sinking isn't looking promising. Habitat erosion has been an issue for decades in Key West. Something has to be done to protect it. Key West could ban cruise ships entirely, but then the area would lose out on too much tourist revenue. 

I can understand why the locals may not like these large ships coming into their towns etc, but they must be careful for what they wish for. If these ships don't bring in the passengers, suddenly their economy is going to drop and and the knock on effect of business struggling is a strong possibility. Then the locals will then have something to complain about.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ You are spot on. Locals likely have opposing thoughts on cruise ships and the perks/challenges they can bring. Those who earn a living from tourism will be eager to have as many guests as possible visit their native land, but those who prefer a more "untouched" and peaceful lifestyle may be in opposition to the idea. Emissions are a big factor that comes along with cruise ships, and many areas are not fond of the pollution they have to be exposed to to host cruise guests. There are two sides to each story but in this particular circumstance, I do think it's more important to preserve the natural habitat, keeping large ships out of that fragile territory. 

@LukeJ I agree. Both sides are valid, but the financial situation definitely depends on tourism. Cruise guests bring tons of cash, ready to spend and boost the local economy. In terms of what the government wants, it's likely only allowing the smaller ships to meet both the environmental and financial needs of the area. If the smaller cruise ships were banned it would be too large of a financial loss, but at the same time if there wasn't a ship cutback the line would suffer too severely environmentally. At some point, I foresee cruise ships having to be even more restricted in that area, possibly banned entirely in the next 10-20 years. I'm no environmentalist, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize the alarming signs. 

@LukeJ That's right! The government usually gets a lot of heat for any decision they make. That is one reason I'm glad I'm not a politician. I can't imagine the stress it must bring, not to mention the publicity of it all. Can you imagine not being able to go anywhere in public without being recognized? That's just wild. I like to go places dressed casually and not have anyone recognize me. That's just too much pressure.

The problem with government systems is they are usually corrupt in some way, and since government officials don't get paid enough, they are easily coerced to be persuaded financially. Usually, government officials start off with good intentions but fall out of touch and burn out pretty quickly. In this instance, I think the decision to cut back on larger cruise ships is of good intent. It's reasonable considering all the factors mentioned above. 

@FJB I agree. My 2 cents @PaulB, is this. Yes, Key West, ‘the Conch Republic’ is a Caribbean Island, however it is part of the USA and connected to the rest of Florida by a 4 lane, divided highway. It’s a 3-hour drive from Miami (Been there, done that). The average home price exceeds $1 million and average income exceeds $100,000. More tourists arrive by plane or car (and stay longer) than cruise ship passengers. How many Caribbean Islands come close to all that?

In 2020, CLIA (Cruise Lines International Association) released a report on visitor impacts to Key West. Interesting information included: over one million of the 3 million visitors arrived by cruise ship. Cruise visitors spent $73 million of the $1.2 billion total for all visitors. So, a third of the total visitors spent 6%. Hmmm

A typical cruiser likely gets off the ship, walks around Duval Street, stops at Sloppy Joe’s Bar for a few drinks, takes the ‘trolley’ or ‘tour train’ around the island, buys some lunch and gets back on the ship where the food is free and the drink package available.

Is Key West dependent on 6% of their tourist revenue? Nope

Will I speculate what the governor will decide? Nope, that’s politics involving one of his big donors…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@FJB Having lived in Flordia for quite some time, I can agree that Key West has a culture and niche clientele of its very own. I do think the area doesn't require cruise guests to stay afloat, but it is a big revenue generator for the area. 

@kefthecruiser That's a really great analysis. As you mentioned, Key West has some heavy sponsors and donors. Some very big names have properties there. Cruise revenue isn't its biggest source of income. All that to say, I don't think the "smaller ships only" policy is an exclusive and elitist play. In fact, I genuinely think the area needs to cut back in the cruise ship department, particularly due to the environmental impacts mentioned above. 

@Bill Rhodes It's all about protecting those coral reefs! This isn't in any way elitist. If you have been following the area or are familiar with the area you will realize that cruise ships have a heavily negative impact on the natives and local sea life. The cruise channels in Key West are shallow and tons of sediment and debris get churned up in the waters. 

As @kefthecruiser mentioned, it's not such a huge economic impact. Furthermore, it's most impactful that the beautiful coral reefs are being damaged due to these large ships. Coral reefs and the local seafood is a huge attraction for tourists. It's a major highlight of Key West! 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I'm not sure if the number of shops would be "cut", but I think you have the right idea. For most, the attraction to the area is its quaint old Florida feel alongside the amazing coral reefs and scenery. The reefs and scenery attract tourists who enjoy fishing, snorkeling, and diving. Every tourist is different, but those repeat guests are usually not the cruisers. The culture of Key West is incredible, it's unlike anywhere in the U.S. in my opinion. Keeping the native nature is key. If that means eliminating large cruise ships from stopping there, so be it.

@LukeJ That must have been why I was a bit misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying that. I agree that I hope Key Werst continues to prosper financially and remain successful amidst certain regulation changes. It's hard for me to believe that the locals are in support of keeping the larger ships coming to the area. From what I know, most of the locals prefer their natural land preserved and protected. Key West is always going to be a prime destination for tourists, but it's best to preserve what attracts guests there, the natural landscape! I wonder if @Bill Rhodes is a local or not. I'm interested to hear more about that perspective. 

I'm glad some islands fight to survive keep their location environmentally free from large ships. Yes, it brings in finances and keeps the economy rolling, but their island is being destroyed, and then what will happen. It will have to be abandoned in the future because the reason passengers are going for is the beauty of the place.

I think it's great too! Larger cruise ships have many perks, but sometimes these ships just aren't built to the smaller quaint ports of call. It's most important to preserve the natural habitat of the island. It's virtually impossible to restore things like erosion after the damage has already been done. You are right; once the island is destroyed it's already gone too far. It's important to take preventative measures. Not everyone is going to agree with this but I don't think environmental factors are at the forefront of those minds. You have to care about the planet and preserve the land!