Cruise Hive Boards

Birthday Staterooms Decorations

3Sisters

In years past, I remember being able to purchase a celebratory decoration package. This package allowed guests to walk into a fully decorated room. It made it so easy to surprise a loved one and get your cruise going in the best way possible. I haven't been able to spot this package for my upcoming itinerary so I plan to decorate the stateroom myself. I intend to bring balloons and streamers in my suitcase to make it happen. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for decorating a stateroom? I have read that you can no longer decorate the outside of your stateroom door. Is that true? 

I'm pretty sure the door decorations are only banned for some cruise lines. I would check out your cruise line directly to see if that rule applies to your upcoming cruise. Decorating your stateroom door is one of the simplest and cutest ways to celebrate a good time! I have used garland to decorate my stateroom door in the past. It also helps identify your stateroom when all of the doors are the same. 

• 3 weeks later...

@SpaceCowboy9 Thanks for confirming that! In years past I have decorated my door with MSC Cruises, but I was under the impression that it was no longer allowed. When I did it, I didn't have any issues. I love the idea of stars. I think I have seen some of those cardboard cutouts online before. How do you typically get them to stick? If I remember correctly, I used just basic scotch tape but the minimal decor I did kept falling down. Maybe I could try sticky tack. It used to be so popular but I haven't seen it in store for quite some time! 

I've read that some cruise lines ban the decorations on doors etc. it's such a great idea that you can get a decorating package, as a lot of people go onboard to celebrate an occasion, so to start the vacation off with a surprise is the best way to do that.

I believe the cruise lines that have banned stateroom door decorations are NCL, CCL, and the newer adults-only Virgin Voyages. From what I am seeing, RCL still allows door decor. The reasoning behind not allowing the stateroom door decorations is quite lame if you ask me. Apparently, it's to reduce fire hazards. Obviously, reducing the risk of fire hazards is very important, but how is it really reducing the risk of potential fires? Does anyone have an answer for this? It just seems like a basic excuse to avoid any extra cleanup or odd decor. I have heard some guests will use decorations to signify certain things. 

3 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

I believe the cruise lines that have banned stateroom door decorations are NCL, CCL, and the newer adults-only Virgin Voyages. From what I am seeing, RCL still allows door decor. The reasoning behind not allowing the stateroom door decorations is quite lame if you ask me. Apparently, it's to reduce fire hazards. Obviously, reducing the risk of fire hazards is very important, but how is it really reducing the risk of potential fires? Does anyone have an answer for this? It just seems like a basic excuse to avoid any extra cleanup or odd decor. I have heard some guests will use decorations to signify certain things. 

Carnival still allowed door decorations this past summer .   I had heard that NCL had banned them and Virgin never allowed them to begin with.     Curious to see where this will go in the future.

• Thanks 1

I don't see the issue for them. I can understand why companies don't like them if they are to cause damage and maintenance will constantly have to repair that, but if there is a decorating package onboard, that will be better as the companies know what to expect.

@Woody14 Thanks for the confirmation on this! I didn't realize Virgin Voyages never allowed them. Maybe the adults-only crowd could take it out of context pretty quickly. The line's suites are so epic. My friend cruised in one of the line's suites and had a stateroom party. It was just wild! I was in awe watching her Instagram stories. That's likely what the line is trying to avoid. 

I do want to follow the rules, so as long as it's allowed, I will give it a go. I don't want to give off any wrong signals. I have heard rumors about pineapples and flamingos. 

There used to be such a great selection of onboard decorating options to choose from, but many of the cruise lines have slimmed down on these. Even the champagne in the room packages (and quality) are just not enticing. I have no interest in spending $100 for bottom-shelf prosecco and a basket of mediocre fruits in my stateroom.  

@SpaceCowboy9 Thanks for sharing this beautiful photo of your family. What type of stateroom is this with the palm trees? Did you add that extra or was that part of the door? I have only been on cruise ships that have boring metal doors so this ship/stateroom just looks over the top to me. Is that even a hand sanitizer station outside of your door? I'm just in shock at this slatted door. I must be cruising in the wrong stateroom or on the wrong ships. I want my cruise door to look fun and tropical like that! 

@SpaceCowboy9That's the perfect amount of decoration. I doubt the tape even leaves a residue anyway. I'm also quite curious what stateroom type this is. It looks much more spacious than the typical balcony cabins I book. It's likely best if you take off the tape carefully too. that's the way to do it. I wonder if you could bring a throwaway tablecloth and cover the entire door with it. That would be such an easy decor idea!

@Cruising Caribbean it's an aft balcony cabin on the Carnival Sunshine.  For my 95 year old mother-in-law, it's also a handicap accessible cabin.  It is a little wider & has a large bathroom.

The tablecloth idea sounds interesting.  If you had some strong magnets, you could secure it at the top.  As long as the door closes, I wouldn't see it as a problem.

• Thanks 1

@SpaceCowboy9 I'm so impressed with the ship's decor. I will need to cruise on Carnival Sunshine to experience this beauty myself. A 95-year-old mother-in-law, that's pretty incredible! The idea of the door closing is important. Maybe I could cut it to make it fit exactly on the door. Do you think I could bring scissors on board? I have yet to bring those on board, but I see how it could be seen as a weapon. It's honestly about the same danger as a shaving razor! Are all stateroom doors that lovely on Carnival Sunshine? I'm still so shocked by the fun. Maybe it's time I switched up the cruise lines I typically cruise with.