Cruise Hive Boards

Man Overboard

3Sisters

@LukeJ I think I would be more open to cruising for the destination when I am retired. When I'm retired I would assume my lifestyle is more open to longer travel and new adventures! I hate to say I'm opposed to that right now (because I'm not), but with the limited free time I have, I'm just looking to get away and escape from the everyday. If I was cruising for destinations, I think I would be more open minded to cruising with other lines. Princess Cruises and Holland America Line would be next to try. Have you cruised with either of these lines before?

Edited by 3Sisters

It's just the nature of life isn't it. We spend most of our days at work rather than enjoying life. It's sad when you think of it, most people looking back, their achievements apart from children usually are how far in their career they got. The older I've got, the more I realise that there is more to life than work, and I should have spend more time trying to enjoy it more with my family and friends. I definitely want to see more of the world and soak up the history of the places. I've been on princess cruises ships before, and I thought it was a fantastic vacation aboard. 

@LukeJ Everyone looks for a different type of cruise experience and thankfully there are lots options to choose from! I would love to be able to cruise on a luxury cruise line one day. In fact, it a big goal of mine! I do fear once I get that quality of cruising it will be hard to return. If I cruise for the itinerary, I would need to cruise with a moderately priced cruise line. I can't imagine cruising epic itineraries with a luxury line. I wouldn't be able to afford that. I have friend who is trying Virgin Voyages for the first time this month. I can't wait to hear what she thinks of it. It's a four-day itinerary with one stop in the Caribbean. That's the type of "luxury" cruise I would be able to afford, short and sweet. 

That would do me perfectly. What an amazing idea. My ideal cruise would take me to different locations and go golfing a few hours on the golf course, hop back on the ship after a round and sail to the next course for another game the next day. I'd be in my element, and totally relax.

• Like 1

One day I do plan to go on a world cruise. After most of my life just working, I do hope to see most of the world before I retire indefinitely or unable to see things. I don't know or have any idea the costs of this, but if you can do it, then let's do it 

@LukeJ Have you seen the golf tour cruises? Those look incredible. I'm not a golfer but I would seriously tag along for the fun because of how incredible the itineraries look. Cruise lines like Costa Cruises and Azamara have specialty cruise packages that offer unforgettable golf experiences. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-line-touts-package-for-golf-enthusiasts/111737

https://www.cruisehive.com/azamara-unveils-new-european-2024-cruise-itineraries/80877

I've just read the article, and you're right, it sounds incredible. You wouldn't necessarily have to be a golfer or a fan to appreciate the itineraries on offer. That would sound perfect for me, however the biggest stumbling block would be persuading my wife to go through with it. I think the deathly stares would say it all. She has never forgiven me for spending 2 days away with work, believing it to be a short vacation.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ That golf tour packages seem epic, but the prices reflect the quality of the experience. The overall quality of an Azamara cruise is much greater than most other cruise lines. I have been eager to cruise with the line, but I haven't been able to swing the cost yet. I would likely start with a more affordable itinerary initially until I could work up to affording an epic experience like this golf one. I think your wife could totally jump onboard if you incorporate some of the things she adores on the cruise! If she likes the spa experience, give her unlimited time at the spa many to compensate. Your statement about your wife not forgiving you about going away for work made me laugh so hard. 

That's an interesting take by showing her the highlights from her side too ha ha. I'd happily spend money on extra activities for her if it meant that I could get on with the golf side. On the serious side, I'm sure she would be happy to come along for the golf too if the weather was good, and she was involved. 

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ Hey, most people have a "what's in it for me" mentality. If it works, it works! My husband and I make trades like that more than you think. He gets a guys trip; I get a girls trip. He goes to a wedding solo; I go to a wedding solo. He gets to golf all morning with his friends; I go out with my girls friends that evening for happy hour. It's all about balance! If your wife is incentivized by certain things, it could be an easy ask if you position it the proper way. 

• 2 weeks later...

@LukeJ I think my husband could convince me of any trip honestly. I'm a get up and go type of person. He's actually the complete opposite. He likes slower weekends, sitting on the sofa, doing nothing. I could never. It has alot to do with the way he was raised. He barley took a vacation as a kid and went hardly anywhere. I traveled the US as a child, being homeschooled and moving over 15 different times! Recently my husband asked if I have ever had a "lazy Sunday", and I said absolutely not. Lazy was not in my family's vocabulary. He said every most every Sunday he would watch tv all day and nap, not leaving the house. That blows my mind. I grew up 6am wake ups, washing the cars, fixing the house, volunteering at church, truly nonstop. He asked me if I would have a lazy Sunday with him, and I said yes, if I'm deathly ill.

Cruising is a great vacation option for us. He can do what he likes, being lazy, and I can do what I want, practically everything on the daily activity sheet. 

It sounds as though your husband and I are on the same page. I hardly had vacations as a child, and I still to this day don't see the fascination with them. My wife and I argue over them. She wants to go on about three million vacations a year, and I just rather stay at home in comfort and do days out. I'm all for going on vacation at least once,but no it's just simply not enough.

• Haha 1

@LukeJ That's too funny! Arguments over vacations are no joke. I don't want to sound high maintenance but I require an annual cruise. I like to explore and treat my family to relaxing experiences. In fact, I prefer vacations so much that I stopped asking for birthday gifts and opt for cruises instead. I'm willing to work for my vacations too! My husband may not care about them but I will fund the whole operation and make everyone show up if that's what it takes. My children are spoiled and they know a good cruise vacation. They look forward to cruising just as much as I do. I think that's all my doing though, I hyper it up way too much, but it is so worthy of the hype! Well, opposites surely attract. Both you and I are examples of that! 

This saddens me. It seems to be very forthcoming and more frequent now. Do people go on these ships you reckon wanting to go overboard? Is it pre planned ahead of time as a last final blowout before jumping or do you think something snaps in them when looking out at the ocean.

• Thanks 1

@FJB It's so horrid. It always makes me so sad to see man overboard news. I get upset at how frequent these situations occur but they are so hard to stop. Details didn't divulge where this was intentional or not, but it's still such a shame. This passenger on MSC Euribia was caught on camera, confirming he did go overboard. 

@LukeJ I think there is an element of mental health attached to these overboard scenarios. Obviously, each individual occurrence is so unique; you don't always know the real reason. Sometimes it's substance abuse or an accident. It would be so nice if these things would go away, but I don't think they ever will. We can't control everyone. Feel will is a must, but I wish these guests didn't feel an impulse or urge to do such a thing. It's so disheartening. 

image.thumb.png.5322ca7c67b343f033bb50b6704ea690.png

I agree mental health is an attribute. But why do people do them on cruise lines? I wonder if it's a fleeting hoorah before they say goodbye for good. Is it in their minds to go in the best possible way rather than doing it at home. It's very very sad when people find no other way out than to end their own life. Even in today's age when you are encouraged to talk and seek help, people still find it harmful and embarrassing to do that, instead deciding to go the other route. 

@LukeJ That's a great question. I think sometimes, people struggling with mental health experience things differently on a cruises. There are so many factors but begin near/away from family and loved ones could contribute to this feeling. I also think when you are on a cruise ship, it can be easier to do than on a day-to-day routine on land. We also have to realize that those struggling with mental health issues likely don't have access to the support they need while on a cruise such as a help line or therapist. Another thing to consider is that substance abuse and withdrawal could be another factor. Those who may be abusing drugs at home may be suffering withdrawals because they can't bring them on the ship, hence altering their mindset to consider self harm. Honestly these are just some of the many factors that do play a part as to why these overboard situations can occur with intent. If those happens on a cruise ship, it's in the news immediately. According to a source online, suicide is the 11th leading cause of death, and on average there are 132 suicides per day. Not all overboard situations are due to suicide, but this puts things into perspective. 

https://afsp.org/suicide-statistics/

Wow that is alarming stats. I didn't think of the withdrawals before, but you could have a very good point. If they don't bring them onboard, then their entire mindset could shift which could cause unhealthy thinking again. And what with alcohol to cloud their judgement. It's all very sad.

• Like 1

@LukeJ The statistics are really alarming and not spoken about enough. More people that you think battle with suicidal thoughts. It's actually pretty common, and people that battle with these thoughts have to hide them from society because it's not seen as acceptable. It's not acceptable to have mental health issues. It should be accepted, but really it's something people feel obligated to hide or conceal. If you have so much free time, and are battling with these thoughts onboard a cruise with endless opportunities, all it takes is a second alone to make a forever-changing decision. Bridges now have to have bigger railings to hold people in, keeping people back from devastation and it isn't because of accidents. When you see a bridge with higher protection on the side, you can assume at one point, that bridge was notorious for suicide. I have seen this added to multiple bridges that previously didn't have it where is reside. All it takes is one intrusive thought for some people, one bad day. That's why I find it important for guests to be screened before going onboard a cruise ship. That screening could save a life, not every life but potentially one. One life is reason enough! do you agree?

Those stats are shocking. I had a friend that took his own life, not on a cruise, but it came as a massive shock. We had no idea he was struggling, and I saw him that morning and had a good time with him, and by the evening, we were told he went missing and we went looking for him. We always encourage people to speak out, and I've always read that sometimes there are telling tale signs, but there was nothing with him. To this day, I don't know what happened that made him decide to do it. It still confuses me to this day.

Thanks for sharing your personal story on this. I'm sorry for your loss and that it was such a shock to you. Unfortunately, you don't know who is struggling with suicidal thoughts, and many times the people that are struggling conceal it so well! This may be something you don't want to hear, but it could very easily be an undiagnosed, unforeseen mental health condition. Chemical imbalances are a real thing, and when you thing you can manage it yourself, it can become a big issue. When you are someone who has a strong and independent persona, reaching out for help can come off at weak or needy. Those that battle with suicidal thoughts need to be vulnerable enough to ask for/accept help. That's not easy to do.