NCL vs. HAL

I have yet to cruise with HAL and NCL. For those that have cruised on one of both of these lines, which would you choose and why? The costs and ships seem to be pretty comparable, and both cruise lines offer itineraries that I'm interested in. It's difficult to choose. I have noticed some pretty good rates for NCL right now, and those unlimited open bar/airfare packages seem like a steal!

Since I haven't cruised either I can't share personal experiences, but based on recent news I would opt for Holland America Line. NCL seems very inconsistent and changes itineraries often. I recommend doing more research before you finalize your booking. Don't be fooled by the good rates. What region would you like to cruise to? 

Your age, # of children and economic status will help determine.  Younger adults with children and solid economic means; Newer NCL Ships. Moderate means, choose an older NCL ship (Sun, Pearl etc.) The difference between newer and older NCL is the amount of "Pay" space. If you’re on a budget,  much of the newer ship's open decks and public areas will NOT be for you, leaving thousands to compete for what's left. 

Over 40 with no children with you, HAL

• Thanks 1

@Seaawgs Thanks for this awesome advice. I like how direct your response is. Since I plan to take my children on this cruise, I would have to opt for NCL, but I have heard mixed feelings about the line. It may have much to do with your shared "pay" space objective. I may need to look into NCL's stateroom tiers. I have only been viewing interior base-level packages and staterooms. Those nicer packages may be the only way to get the cruise experience I'm looking for. For now, it seems I may have to nix the idea of cruising with HAL. Do you think children would be welcome on HAL or would they be one of the very few splashing in the pools?

HAL skews a much older crowd in my past experience- 50+ with very few kids.  NCL is not my cup of tea because of the crowds, especially kids, but it was a Christmas cruise that we went on with NCL so probably 5 times more kids.   There will be much more on an NCL ship to keep kids occupied.   My family is very laid back so we would choose HAL before NCL.  YMMV

• Thanks 1

@Seaawgs It sounds like HAL's program for kids is not a great one. There is no way I would take my family on a cruise if everyone wouldn't be entertained. If the kids aren't engaged and entertained then I'm left to do it! That's not the most ideal situation for a vacation. I appreciate the tip about the fewer sea days the better. It makes perfect sense. I happen to enjoy spending time with my children, but I wouldn't want to put myself in a situation where they are getting bizarre looks because they are being kids.

@FJB Thanks for the feedback! I like the way you compared the two lines. It would be a bit chaotic if the ship was just filled with children and no chill. I guess I'm looking for a good balance. Since my children are still young, maybe an NCL off-season cruise would be best, and then once they get a bit older I would transition to a more mature line. My kids are still big splashers when they swim in the pools, but we are getting there. 

• 4 weeks later...

If you decide to go with HAL, you can take advantage of lower rates by booking the line's Wave Season rates. Starlink is now available onboard the entire fleet as an awesome perk too. You would likely be able to appreciate all the line has to offer if you traveled without the kids, but a family cruise is always nice too. HAL is also offering a stand-by service for guests to get even lower rates! This is actually the only line I have noticed that offers a stand-by service. I would be very intrigued to try it, but you would have to live near the port to make this process work. I wouldn't be willing to fly to the disembarkation port and run the risk I wouldn't be able to make it onboard.