Speciality restaurants packages

Most cruise lines offer so called "Specials" specialty dining packages either pre-paid, before you board, or when you actually board and the staff come around waiving the menus in your face.   Recently on Quantum we managed to get a 30% discount at Jamie Oliver's and a 20% discount at Chops grille.  The meals were stunning with great service.  In short ask for a discount rather than simply pay the price asked.  It doesn't hurt.   

• Like 1

@Rayk This is a great tip! It sounds like you have experienced better specialty dining prices when booking the experience onboard the ship. I usually opt to eat in the MDR instead of choosing the specialty dining options. After cruising quite a few times, I am willing to spend more to dine better so this is a useful tip. Were these special discounted prices for a fixed menu or were you able to choose from certain options on the menu at that discounted rate? 

The discount was applied across the normal full priced menu with no exceptions.   Very good value and a good incentive to try out the specialty dining.   Certainly worth giving it a try. It worked well for us.  In fact we asked another couple to join us and asked if they would apply the discount to them as well.   They did.

• Like 1

@Rayk Thanks for this info. It's always so convenient to pre-purchase specialty dining choices ahead of embarkation. Next time we cruise, I'm going to follow your advice and wait to see what the offers are like onboard. I have no problem booking later if I'm going to get a better rate. What specialty restaurant was your favorite onboard? 

7 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@Rayk Thanks for this info. It's always so convenient to pre-purchase specialty dining choices ahead of embarkation. Next time we cruise, I'm going to follow your advice and wait to see what the offers are like onboard. I have no problem booking later if I'm going to get a better rate. What specialty restaurant was your favorite onboard? 

In this instance it was virtually a dead heat.  3 lamb cutlets plus all the extras at J.Os and a great steak at Chops.  Will try this on Princess coming up in January and see how we get on.  They usually have a very good steak and lobster tail.

• Like 1

@Rayk After reading your review, I don't know if I could skip J.O.s! How could you even compare the MDR to this dining experience? They are just completely different dining categories. I always go home from cruising so inspired to cook more gourmet, and it only lasts one week. After that, it takes way too much time and energy to cook a wide variety of meals and my one-pot dinners come back like never before. Speaking of at-home cooking, have you cooked lamb chops at home? I would love to try grilling some chops over the holidays with friends.