Specialty Dining Pre-paid Gratuities

I have a question regarding specialty dining on CCL.  In order to insure that we always get the restaurants and times we want, we always pre-book those online before the cruise. As such, we are charged for the meal and in addition the 18% gratuity is added in the cost at that point as well.  We notice though, that when we get the bill at the end of our meal, it shows the meal charge and then a credit in the same amount is applied yielding a total bill of zero. But, there is no mention of the 18% gratuity that we have already pre-paid.

It always makes me very nervous to leave the gratuity line empty on the bill, even knowing that we have already paid it, and just sign the bill as requested. Does the incredible waitstaff know that a tip is already been paid? Is that pre-paid tip still distributed to them? I would never want them to think we aren't tipping them and their service was not appreciated — they are always such great servers.

Our first time doing this several years ago, we forgot we had pre-paid this so added a tip on the bill. That of course meant we had actually paid it twice. I went to Guest Services this last cruise and inquired about it. They didn't really know exactly why it was done that way except to say that it had something to do with the fact the meal cost was pre-paid (and not charged onboard itself) and the bill was just reflecting that.

Any thoughts to help me feel more comfortable about this?

1 hour ago, RoadTravelled said:
I have a question regarding specialty dining on CCL.  In order to insure that we always get the restaurants and times we want, we always pre-book those online before the cruise. As such, we are charged for the meal and in addition the 18% gratuity is added in the cost at that point as well.  We notice though, that when we get the bill at the end of our meal, it shows the meal charge and then a credit in the same amount is applied yielding a total bill of zero. But, there is no mention of the 18% gratuity that we have already pre-paid.

It always makes me very nervous to leave the gratuity line empty on the bill, even knowing that we have already paid it, and just sign the bill as requested. Does the incredible waitstaff know that a tip is already been paid? Is that pre-paid tip still distributed to them? I would never want them to think we aren't tipping them and their service was not appreciated — they are always such great servers.

Our first time doing this several years ago, we forgot we had pre-paid this so added a tip on the bill. That of course meant we had actually paid it twice. I went to Guest Services this last cruise and inquired about it. They didn't really know exactly why it was done that way except to say that it had something to do with the fact the meal cost was pre-paid (and not charged onboard itself) and the bill was just reflecting that.

Any thoughts to help me feel more comfortable about this?

I did ask about that on my last trip on the Vista as we booked specialty dining every other night.  He stated they are aware that the tip has been prepaid when it is advanced booked.    Not that they don't appreciate the extra tips.

Edited by Woody14
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Woody14 said:

I did ask about that on my last trip on the Vista as we booked specialty dining every other night.  He stated they are aware that the tip has been prepaid when it is advanced booked.    Not that they don't appreciate the extra tips.

@Woody14 thanks for your confirmation.  I also reached out to John Heald, CCL Brand Ambassador today.  He also said the same thing that they know it's included.  And, if you want to give extra, of course you can.  So, I feel better now knowing that the servers are aware.  Thanks again for posting.

• 2 months later...

@RoadTravelled That sounds super strange! If you are paying for the gratuities ahead of time, it should show up as a line item on your receipt. I sometimes wonder how the cruise lines keep track of all of these minute details. The particular person who tended to you during your dining experience should receive those gratuities directly. It would feel odd to have the gratuities pooled or shared with the other waitstaff. I wouldn't want my tips to go to anyone else. I don't like that system and it should be more transparent. It would be better if you could opt in or out of the pre-paid gratuities. I would prefer to pay the gratuities at the end of the meal. Typically, I tip more than 18% too.

@3Sisters I agree totally that the current system is really confusing.  The cynic in me says they do this intentionally in hopes you will double-tip.  But who knows there might be some legitimate accounting reason for the way the do this.

I have to say, I've never really understood how they do their accounting.  When I look at our bill each cruise I have to just scratch my head.  And, I took accounting in college!

Bottom-line though is the pre-paid gratuities do go back to the waitstaff.  But, to your point, it probably is a shared tip.  Our last cruise we slipped our specific waitstaff a bit of cash (that brought the tip up to 20%) that they could put in their pocket.  They were so appreciative.

@RoadTravelled I wouldn't even call your comment cynical. It sounds very on point to me. I highly doubt there is a legitimate accounting reason for this. The goal is to tip extra. I wouldn't even be surprised if CCL ends up pocketing some or most of the prepaid gratuities for this experience. The fact that you took accounting even further legitimizes your speculation. 

That's what the cruise line tells you, but it doesn't sound like it's really enough. If the waitstaff still is banking on more, that makes me believe the baseline gratuity isn't cutting it. The cash in their pockets is the best! Everything else likely gets deducted from their paychecks pretty heavily. 

• 2 weeks later...

@american This can't be! That's just awful. Why would the cruise line take a kickback from its crew members like that? They work so very hard for their earnings, living away from friends and family to make a living. That's so unjust. Do you know what percentage CCL ends up keeping? The crew should get at least an 18% tip and I feel that is pretty standard. I'm not so worried about the cruise and its price, but I am concerned that the cruise line isn't fully tipping out to its hardworking employees. I have heard that CCL is a great company to work for. This is making me think otherwise.

@Cruising Caribbean and @american  I've never seen any evidence that CCL keeps a portion of the tips — pre-paid or otherwise billed on the ship.  It is shared though, but really to do otherwise would probably be an administrative nightmare.  But, that's why we also slip a little cash to people along the way, just to reward them specifically.  In fact, I've had many people (both inside and outside of CCL) say that they do get their share of the tips.  My suggestion above was not to imply any such thing otherwise, only to say that I find their accounting really odd and confusing.  One other way to look at it is that crew have just as much incentive to want you to give them extra as CCL does.

In fact, one of my rituals on cruises is to intentionally seek out staff working around the ship who are not a part of the tipping program — all those crew you see vacuuming, cleaning, mopping, wiping, etc. the public spaces outside of the cabin areas — and give them a thank you card, a word of appreciation, a bit of cash, and a wrapped piece of chocolate.  They are so surprised and appreciative.

I think it's also worth noting that besides their pay and tips, these crew members get a lot of benefits that offset expenses other people on land would have (meals provided, lodging, travel to/from their home countries, medical care, uniforms, laundry, etc.).  So, a good portion of what they get is kept in their pocket instead of deducted like I had when I worked a job on land.  Yes, it's a tough life, but as this article attests, they must be doing something right in treating their staff.

• Thanks 1

@RoadTravelled I'm glad you haven't noticed any evidence of this either. I have only known CCL to be an excellent company to work for. I would be pretty ashamed if what @american stated was indeed correct information.

I love that you seek out hardworking crew members on your cruise and give them letters of appreciation. That is such a kind and unforgettable gesture. It can turn around anyone's bad day! I try to be very kind with my words and actions, but I love the idea of taking it a step further to those who noticeably make a difference in your cruise experience. Generally, I only tip the housekeeping staff and the MDR waitstaff. 

You nailed it on the head. The life of a crew member is not an easy one, but CCL does do a good job of compensating its employees. There are many perks to the job that include free housing and dining that do add up. I always feel so strongly for those employees who have to be away from their young spouses/children to make a living and provide. I commend those crew members for really being so selfless, putting their family's needs above their own.

• Like 1