Couple more Alaska Pics

• 3 weeks later...

@euroguy I completely missed these shots! I'm so glad I went back to check. The sky, the mountains, and the clouds are just so crisp-looking! Can you imagine being a native of this area? Summer-time it's like this, to die for, and then winter-time consists of long dark cold days. The landscape pictures are well worth painting. If I was a painter, I would travel to this area to paint! 

@euroguy Those are such unique pieces derived from that exact environment. Those items are something you can't just find anywhere! Do you usually bring an extract suitcase for your souvenirs? I think I should start bringing an extra duffle along for my finds. I always end up having to carry them off because they don't fit in my initial luggage. There are some good articles on cruise packing tips that have opened my eyes to better ways to prepare for my cruises. I always end up bringing more sunscreen than I need. The last itinerary I was on I was so thankful I did that because a whole spray can basically sprayed all over my shoes and it was a mess.

@Kendall James-Vargas when I travel I try my very hardest to find something of quality that represents the area I have travel, but on the smaller sizes as i have a special curio that is about 3.5 ft wide and 6.5 ft tall with several glass shelves solely for the items i have collected over the years and places visited, so can't be to large as I travel so much lolol. One quality piece I have is a cube about 3 inches square that is solid Glass from one of the space shuttles windows. Under certain lighting conditions you can see different spectrums of colors. 

No I don't carry an additional bag.  I usually have 1 suit case that is maximum size and weights around 35-40 pounds which is under 50lb weight limit and my suit bag which carries dress shirts, slacks, suit, Tux 2 pairs of shoes with a bitbof extra space and weights around 30lbs. The 2 bags connect to each other so can roll them with 1 hand as needed. Then a small light weight  backpack for documents and any misc. I want to keep with me. Which double as my travel companion while on excursions. 

I do pack all the essentials i.e. sunscreen etc... but also I have converted a small foldable cooler bag that could hold at most a 6 pk of soda into my emergency pharmacy, which has pain killers, antibiotic cream, emergenC drink mix packets (super vitamin boost) nasal/head congestion pills, heart burn pills, small bottle of pepto, Tylenol, musinX, nausea pills etc. All the stuff you would want or need if not feeling 100%. I would prefer to have most everything I need on hand vs. Trying to find it while traveling.

I've not seen the videos and probably could save a little space/weight but I think I do pretty good and not sure I would cut much else out.

@euroguy This is such a clever way to display all of your travel treasures! You have an epic collection of ships too. Have you considered any of the Lego ship models? I was very tempted to purchase a Lego model of the last ship I was on. I like the idea that I could hand-build it. Those seem to be the trending models nowadays, but they aren't cheap! You have to pay more for that type of model and you have to take the time to build it yourself. It almost seems like a scam!

@3Sisters I have seen those Lego ships but I'm going to keep with what I'm doing. The ships I've been collecting are actually Christmas tree ornaments and I remove the eyelet that holds the string.  I am missing a few as I didn't start collecting right away and also the luminos didn't have them. When i go in february i will pick up a total of 4 to cover the missing ones and the current cruise. Then I will have a fleet of ships 🤣

I actually ran out of room in my cabinet and had to put a few items away and do a rotating exhibition of items, which I do twice a year 🥹

• Like 1

@euroguy You have a pretty neat collection going. I see the value of continuing on this track, filling up that hutch. That's such a clever idea! Are these porcelain or glass ornaments? I wouldn't have even thought to do that. That's ingenious. I like that they aren't too large so they can all fit together. It is very aesthetically pleasing. 

Have you hung them on your Christmas tree before? I bet your collection be worth a pretty penny one day if you ever decided to sell them off. 

That's a fun idea of hosting a rotating exhibition of items! It's a great way to dust them every now and again too. I would imagine that a very delicate process.

@euroguy Resin sounds like a much more durable material! I don't do well with glass tree ornaments. I have broken way too many good ones by taking them off of the tree too abruptly or storing them improperly. Your tree sounds spectacular! Are you a fake tree or a real tree type of person? I have used fake trees in the past but I'm really into picking out fresh trees every December now. Have you taken a Christmas cruise before? If I took a Christmas cruise or spent the holiday away, I probably wouldn't go for a real tree that year.

@3Sisters i have not done an xmas cruise, as i spend it with my mother and never know how much time we have.  If i did a xmas cruise i would pro ably get a small 2 foot tree that is pre lit and has decorations glued on it to take with me so could have it in my cabin.  Ive seen them at different big box stores.  

I use to do live trees all the time but now that im an empty nester and single I've opted for an artificial one, but high end and difficult to see not real and have pine scented candles...lol

Not sure what a xmas cruise would be like...doesn't sound like you taken one either. Think you would do one?

• Like 1

@euroguy This 2-foot tree idea has me laughing! I think the idea is so cute and sentimental but that would take a whole suitcase in Christmas decor! Christmas must be your favorite holiday, and I bet your stateroom would be the best decorated on the entire ship. 

I totally value your urge to be near your mom for that holiday. It holds so much sentiment, and when time is fleeting (as it always is), it's even more impactful that you take the time to spend it with those you love most. 

I love pine-scented soaps and candles! Those little sticks in the Christmas decor section smell amazing and I even throw them in my car during the month of December! I highly recommend it if you enjoy the pine scent.

I totally think I would do a Christmas cruise!

I just had my first white Christmas, and I loved it. I'm about to get another one because it was so perfect for my family last year. In the coming years, I would consider a Christmas cruise but probably somewhere near Norway! There are some amazing Christmas market cruises that would make for the perfect holiday. 

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/christmas-market-cruises/index.html

Edited by 3Sisters

@3Sisters glad I was able to make laugh... laughing is good for the soul. I do enjoy Christmas but not as much as before when I had a house full. Yep the house was fully decorated and had 2 different Christmas trees one in main family room and one in Formal dining room. Of course I would put outside lights too.  🙄  now I keep it simple, maybe one day I will have a reason to go all out again. 

Here's a link to some cute little trees for you to think about 😆 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/20-30-40cm-Mini-Artificial-Christmas-Tree-Decoration-Table-Desk-Tops-Small-Pine-Perfect-Tabletop-Xmas-Your-Home-Office/439253961

The trip you set a li k too sound wonderful and most enjoyable.  I grew up in Germany until I was 9. the Rhine River with castles on the hillsides holds many memories for me. I think you would enjoy it a lot.

So you and your families 1st white christmas...that great you all finally got to experience it, nothing beats a white Christmas in the country, the smell of nut Meg and apple cider, hearing the crackle of a fireplace with all the Christmas decorations. 

Im sure I would enjoy a Christmas cruise however I think it would be best if with someone v. Solo.

Have you planned any of those Christmas cruises yet??

• Like 1

@euroguy This is so impressive! I'm going to have to step up my holiday game. I want one of those mini Christmas trees now. I actually cut some mini trees down last year and put them on both of my balconies but the wind kept blowing them over. This year I need to find a better base for those outdoor trees. I also want to add some more lights to them. Thinking about the holidays just gets me so excited! I can't believe Halloween and Thanksgiving are right around the corner. Do you enjoy decorating for fall in your home too? Are you a hand-out candy type of neighbor? I always hand out pretzels to do something different. 

Yes! I enjoyed hot cocoa and apple cider all season long. However, being inside and cozy for the season with the cooler temps had me baking and eating way too many sweets. I didn't realize the snowy weather would do that to me! 

I agree. The best part about the holidays really ends up being family and great friends.

I haven't planned one yet but I bet in the next year or two I will. Some of my family want to book a cabin in the mountains for Christmas next year. The following year would be best for a Christmas cruise! That would be 2025.

@3Sisters knew if I showed you the way you would come to the other side.  The mini trees are so cute and portable.

Yes renting a cabin in the mountains with snow for christmas would be the way to go, if you dont have one already. I have a summer cabin and it can be difficult to make it in winter sometimes but occasionally its doable and worth the effort/adventure.

i dont really decorate for other holidays but im generous when it comes to kids and candy for Halloween, full size candy bars...go big or go home 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@euroguy That's so nice you have a summer cabin to use at your leisure! Do you rent it out part-time when you aren't there? How often do you end up using the cabin? 

You are a full-sized candy bar house? Well, can I say I'm surprised? Those are everyone's favorites. I'm the opposite on Halloween. I'm the pretzel house! I always hand out Halloween-shaped pretzels because we don't do much candy in our home. The parents usually appreciate it, the children, not so much. 

This year we did minimal fall decor, but we went to a wonderful pumpkin patch and decorated with real corn and white pumpkins all over the home. It came out beautifully, and I intend to cook with the pumpkins this month. Do you like pumpkin butter? 

@3Sisters I use the summer cabin several times per year. I enjoy being away from the crowds and smelling the pine trees.  No I don't rent it out, nor do I have any interest in doing so. It's my escape space.

Yeah I'm thinking the parents like you for Halloween but kids mmm well maybe borderline. Candy apples they would like lolol

I've never had pumpkin butter but enjoy a great homemade pumpkin pie...you can send me one 😋 I grew up with homemade apple butter and that is super tasty... have you ever made apple butter?  Oh and homemade rhubarb pie is so good, and not the one with strawberrys added.

• Like 1

@euroguy I think that's so valuable. If you have the funds, everyone needs an escape space! I haven't acquired an escape space yet, but maybe if I stop cruising so much I will be able to afford one. I do spend a good amount of my time escaping on cruises. I'm not sure if I could eliminate those experiences from my lifestyle. It's one of my favorite ways to relax. 

I love candy apples! I made some this year with apples I picked with my family. They were the best! I definitely prefer a green caramel apple. The sweet-and-sour combo is the best. 

It's very yummy and I highly recommend trying pumpkin butter! If you enjoy apple butter, there is no doubt you will enjoy pumpkin butter. I have made apple butter. It didn't last in my fridge long and all those that got gifted it from me said it was the best they have ever had! My secret this year was a bit of apple cider vinegar added in.

I haven't tried or made rhubarb pie! I will be sure to give it a go this month. I love baking and sharing my baked goods so this would be a great one for me to try. Actually, I'm invited to a pie party next week, and I will make it! Thanks for the idea.

I want a piece !!! 😆 remember not the recipe that adds strawberrys...yuk!! Make sure to find the right one with just rhubarb it's the bestest... making my mouth water just thinking about it...sigh been years since I've had any. I'm sure it will be a hit.

I will have to try some pumpkin butter for sure. I agree green apples are a must for Carmel apples...the best! 

You're killing me thinking about all the yummy goodness... 😋 

• Like 1

@euroguy To be honest, I haven't tried anything rhubarb flavor. That must sound so bizarre considering it's a very popular flavor. Why do people add strawberries? That probably changes the texture completely. Thanks for the encouragement. I truly will give it a go for the party. Hopefully, I remember to share a photo in our chat.  

The holiday season is upon us. It's a time for all of the sweet goodies. What is one holiday food item you can't live without? I'm a big cranberry person! I make it from scratch every year. I love to make cranberry sauce, muffins, scones, and even cheesecake! It pairs great with a gingersnap crust.

@euroguy I'm making it this weekend for my pie party! I can't find rhubarb tough. Where do you usually purchase it? I just went to Target and they didn't sell it. I will go to Sprouts tomorrow and see if they sell it. Costco doesn't sell it either. Those are my go-to local grocers. Also, if you have a recipe please share it! Otherwise, I will use one I found online. I didn't realize that rhubarb wasn't sold everywhere!

• 2 weeks later...