Cruise Hive Boards

Tropical Storm Idalia

Idalia looks like it will be messing with ships mainly in the eastern Gulf of Mexico for the next few days. School closings announced for Tuesday and Wednesday, as have mandatory evacuations from Zone A (coastal regions that flood) here around Tampa Bay. Landfall likely west coast of Florida, north (hopefully way north) of Tampa.

• Thanks 1

@kefthecruiser Thanks for chiming in and keeping everyone informed. I'm sure the storm could still shift tracks prior to landfall, as it usually does. I can't believe the schools already announced closures! I really hope it doesn't strengthen into anything more than a Cat 1. That area has had its fair share of winds, rains, and flooding. Some of my friends and family in Fort Myers, Florida just recovered from all of Ian's damage. 

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

Unfortunately, now we have Hurricane Idalia on our hands. Idalia is projected to make landfall near Gainesville, Florida on Wednesday morning. 

@kefthecruiser That's right! Many public schools are used as shelters and fill up on a first come first serve basis. I also read it's expected to make landfall in Florida as a Category 3 hurricane. Many cruise ships are having to alter itineraries to keep everyone safe. Carnival Conquest had to change its projected itinerary due to Idalia.  

@RosaB63 Keep an eye on notifications from the cruise line! Hopefully, by September 2, everyone is in the clear.

Idalia track.png

Check out my family's backyard in Estero, Florida. The tides are already rising. This is almost like deja vu after they were flooded inside their home from Hurricane Ian, sitting on the kitchen island to stay "dry." They just redid their entire home with new furniture, drywall, electricity, and a kitchen. I really hope it doesn't get worse than this. 

backyard.jpeg

backyard 2.jpeg

That is scary. I do hope that doesn't happen again. The storm of the hurricane is frightening enough, but the aftermath of it can be deadly if it's damaged the inside of the house and you have to redo everything again. It can be quite sole destroying.

I know! Gainsville is getting hit pretty hard right now. My mom evacuated her home in South Carolina today. It's such a shame that Hurricane Idalia is continuing to intensify. Currently a Category 3 hurricane, it does have the potential to strengthen to a Category 4. I really hope it doesn't! 

Port Tampa Bay had to close all marine traffic due to weather conditions. Hopefully, "Condition Zulu" doesn't last much longer. If it persists, some upcoming cruise itineraries may have to shift. 

How bad are the homes in Florida after the hurricane. Being from UK, we do have floodings, more from a small storm, nothing compared to what these states suffer from, and once the waterbanks collapses, it can flood out hones and ruin property. But the storms and hurricane's in America look devastating in comparison.

So, my 2 cents worth. Idalia made landfall as a CAT 3 to a coastal rural section of Florida. It moved quickly and dropped quickly from CAT 3 to TS status. All as predicted and a best case scenario, unless you happen to live in an affected area. The landfall area coast is mainly wetlands and uplands are privately owned forests owned by lumber companies. So, a lot of fallen trees. Coastal flooding heights were less than predicted all up and down the coast, a good thing. Here in the Tampa Bay area it was little more than a summer rainstorm, like 3 occurrences. The Coast Guard had the port closed longer than I thought it should, but I'm sure it was valid. Port now open and Thursday cruise ships arrived a day late.

So the main devastation is limited, and much less than had it hit a populated area. I'm thinking coastal surge did more damage than winds here in Florida. Yes, there are homes destroyed and peoples lives uprooted, and not everyone living in a flood zone can afford flood insurance. 

@kefthecruiser At first I didn't expect Idalia to become so strong but it did make it all the way to a Category 4! Thankfully this hurricane wasn't as disastrous as most. After reading up on all of the natural disasters lately, I'm glad Idalia didn't wreak too much havoc. Everyone needed a little bad news break. Idalia is now a post-tropical cyclone trending north in the Atlantic.

Idalia 2.png