Cruise Hive Boards

Disney Cruises to Barcelona

@mikeHive That's a great question! Thankfully this is only a partial cruise ban in Barcelona, and there will still be an opportunity to visit the area via cruise ship. You chose such an exciting B2B itinerary, and it would be such a bummer for you to have to miss this scenic spot. I'm sure Disney Cruise Line is working closely with the port to try and make the proper accommodations. From my findings, Disney usually docks near the World Trade Center. This could potentially become an issue for your upcoming itineraries so keep an eye out for the latest news and any emails that may come in regarding the issue from the cruise line. 

• 5 months later...

@mikeHive Thanks for sharing this. It's so unfortunate that Spain is experiencing such a severe drought. This region will truly suffer if cruise ships aren't able to stop there. This article is particularly interesting because it gives detailed insight to why the drought is such a big deal for cruises. Cruise ships that travel to this area would have to agree not to draw or utilize water supplies from the port. The ships would need to be able to produce their own water supply onboard. I hope that ships will be able to make accommodations and modifications to meet the needs of the area so guests can continue to travel to Spain via cruise despite their current water deficit. 

I'm sure they had this issue before. It's such a lovely part of the world, I do enjoy my days in Spain. The food in particular I love. I'd be one of these Brits that would move to Spain in a heartbeat and live out the remainder of my life in a place in the sun. What a dream that would be. 

Only once I've ever been to Spain and even though I did enjoy it, I don't particularly think it would be the first place I'd think of going if I had to think of somewhere to go on vacation. The weather is nice is the positive thing, food I find is better in other countries. And it's full of British people. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@LukeJ Thanks for your feedback. I have many friends that have traveled to Spain (and extended family that lives there), but I don't have any personal experience exploring the region. Which part of Spain did you visit? I know there are some truly lovely areas with amazing history and culture. Sailing through Gibraltar would be an unforgettable experience. The weather is certainly enjoyable most of the year in comparison to many other surrounding regions but I think I would choose cruising to Portugal over Spain. Speaking of weather, I hope there is more rain coming to this region. I'm hopeful it will recover and fully reopen quickly for cruise guests. 

I spent a fortnight in Alicante, down on the eastern side of Spain. The villages there were beautiful, historic and vibrant. As stated, the food was delicious, and we thoroughly enjoyed sitting outside basking in the sun with a few drinks and food. I even joined the markets that were there 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@LukeJ I had never heard of Alicante until now! It sounds dreamy and an area I would surely enjoy. What brought you to Alicante? As someone who lives very far from Spain, this location wouldn't have even been on my radar without you exposing it to me. It almost sounds like a little hidden gem! I'm a big market fan, from farmers market to artisan markets, I enjoy them all. There is nothing like shopping locally for goods that were made by the locals themselves! Not only is the shopping experience more enjoyable than big box retailers, but it's such a lovely way to get out with friends or remain active in your local vicinity. I will make sure Alicante makes it to the list of must see spots in Europe. 

It really is somewhere you must try. It's such a beautiful spot. I guess it's a long travel from the US, so many Americans wouldn't visit that side of the world much. But it's a much closer flight from the UK, so those countries are always available to us. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@LukeJ It's so cool you have had the opportunity to travel to Spain! I have a friend who is heading to Portugal all next month and I can't wait to hear about her experiences. She's more adventurous than I am, so she will likely stay in hostels, but I still can't want to hear about all of the beauty she explores. I'm more of the hotel/cruise the region type of person, but I did just hike/tent camp in Zion National Park. I wouldn't say it was an amazing sleeping situation, but my kids had a blast and the scenery was unforgettable so that was the important part! I don't think it helps that it dropped to to 30 degrees Fahrenheit in the evening and I'm a little too pregnant.  Alicante sounds amazing and I'm noticing some cruise lines sailing out of/near that region! I'm officially a Diamond member with MSC Cruises and the line offers a few cruises out of Alicante that would totally interest me. 

You aren't the only one who enjoys Alicante! 

https://www.cruisehive.com/spanish-port-sailing-toward-record-cruise-traffic-in-2024/120628

image.thumb.png.b8e5307fd4fcba820d291063b1da880d.png

You should definitely try it. Especially as you have never been, I'm all for trying new places in the world. There is so much to see, and different cultures to absorb. I have friends that keep going to the same place, same hotels every year. I think it's because it's familiar for them, but I don't understand how you can enjoy going back to the same place. Unless it's like a reunion for them and they've become almost family to the owners of the hotel. 

Those Alicante numbers are wild! I didn't realize how popular it is. @LukeJ I don't want to go to the same place every year. It does get quite boring. I do cruise to the same places a lot, the Caribbean. I'm ready and excited to branch out. I love going back to places you enjoy, but branching out and experiencing new things is optimal. If you are going to spend to go somewhere, why not try somewhere new and unfamiliar to you? There is beauty in both, but trying somewhere new is much more appealing to me! 

When I was younger, I remember going to Greece with an ex of mine, and we stayed at this resort when a guy, full of tattoos came and was very friendly to everyone and knew the locals very well. He came over to us and we started chatting, and then realised he brought his elderly mother with him. He explained he brings his mother to that very resort every year. And he will come back to that resort every year with his mates on a different date. And if he has time, he will go to that very resort every year on his own.

• Like 1

@LukeJ Greece is another dream travel destination for me. That sounds like a very personalized experience. It's nice to know the locals, but it's different when you have a connection with someone who knows the area. Since I don't know anyone in Greece, I am fine to explore on my own and then cruise the rest of the way. Cruising is such a practical option for exploring costal cities around the world. It feels safe, easy, and convenient. Not to mention, the cost of cruising can be cheaper than traveling via land, without the hassle of using public transit or navigating unfamiliar territory. Would you go back to Greece? What city did you stay in?

Everything has it's pros and cons. I can understand why people go on cruises, but land vacations are also a big thing too. I do enjoy going to different locations, and Greece is a beautiful country. We have been to many places in Greece, including a stay in Rhodes. I recommend it to anyone.

@LukeJ Sometimes it's nice to mix up land and cruise adventures! A little bit of both can end up making for the perfect vacation. I like land vacations because I don't have a limited time to explore the area. I can spend a night or two at a hotel or travel via car more inland to get the experience a cruise may not be able to give me. I prefer to travel via cruise ideally, but cruises don't always give you enough time to explore certain regions at the port. Balancing some time in a hotel and other time on a cruise is the perfect scenario. You are very well traveled! In fact, you have visited many of my bucket list destinations in Europe. I really want to go to Europe. Everyone in my extended family have visited there on multiple occasions except for me! 

@LukeJ History is nice, but I'm not too impressed by it. That may sound like an uneducated statement but I'm a forward thinker so I'm not as excited about history. Don't get my wrong, I value history and learning about it, but it's not something I go out of my way to look for. I'm more interested to visit Europe for the culture (founded by history I know), food, and scenery! 

@mikeHive  I have heard Scotland and Ireland are amazing! In fact, my uncle and aunt ventured there a couple years ago and fell in love. They have decided once they retire from their careers, which is relatively soon, they will retire in Ireland. It's a bold statement for them because they are usually not that adventurous. It definitely means the area has to be spectacular. 

image.thumb.png.a1fcc453c8266a254f6ff10b36716389.png

@mikeHive Scotland is a massive place with the best people. They are so friendly and fun to be around. One of the places I love going to Scotland is Edinburgh, it's not only filled with history, but the architecture of the buildings is something else. There's plenty to do there, and I can guarantee you will have an amazing time. Same in Ireland, beautiful people. Plenty to do there, great times. My favourite is south Ireland, just stunning. 

• 3 weeks later...

@LukeJ You are making me so interested to cruise to Scotland and Ireland! These are dream cruise destinations of mine but are so far off. The food, culture, and scenery are what mostly attract me to visit there. What time of year would you recommend a cruise to this region? I'm completely lost when it comes to climates on the other side of the world, but the photos always seem so green and spring-like. There is a new Aberdeen harbor in Scotland that would be lovely to explore!

image.thumb.png.472c5c36ddd7dbac2d510027f61da611.png