RCL Clarifies Pizza Charge

• 3 weeks later...

At the moment, the prices are remaining off, however I believe that these companies are getting ready to start charging soon. It's a classic pattern. Dip their toes in the water and gauge the reaction. Pull back slightly but mark my words, this will not be over. They will try it again soon enough, and keep prodding away and just go ahead and do what they want in time.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I happen to agree with you both. It's likely just a matter of time before more and more prices increase. Fees are being tacked on left and right for many previously included services. Many cruise lines are testing the waters to see how guests will respond. Clearly, RCL guests were not happy with the idea of paying extra for pizza. Pizza is pretty much a cruise staple. Don't you think? I can't imagine the idea of charging for pizza will go over well for any cruise line. 

No it won't go well but it will happen. In time, the prices for cruisers will always go up every year with inflation. Drinks are not included in the price anyway, and they will go up also. The one perk of being on the cruise and paying a lot of money was that the food was all inclusive, so it didn't seem that bad in comparison. Soon, the food will be limited, so the nicer foods will have a price tag on it or you will have to pay for a food package. Customer service will however go down.

• Like 1

@LukeJ Do you think they will charge for basic coffee and tea too? I really hope not. I do enjoy these basic drinks being included in the overhead cruise cost. I have noticed a limitation in food, food quality, and food options. Customer service has gone down to some degree, but there are still many crew members who hold excellent levels of service. The last cruise I took offered exceptional service. I try to remain hopeful that at some point these changes and fees will even out. Post-pandemic cruising has hosted many changes and surprises I never anticipated to see in this industry. 

I can't see teas and coffees being charged, because that would be the lowest of the low in nickel pinching. There isn't that great of a financial loss in hot beverages, so I can't see that being charged. They have to show some sort of restraint I guess. But the pricier ingredients to buy in, yes I can see cruise lines offering packages or some sort, but definitely will be charged. And when one cruise does it, that will open the door for the others to follow suit.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I totally agree! Tea and coffee really don't cost very much to make. I think the milk cost you be a big way to save on beverage costs. I can only imagine the lines at the coffee station just to fill up cups of milk. That wouldn't fly over well. That's a very real fact. It seems like once one cruise line makes a money-saving change, the rest of the cruise lines begin to do the same. My kids would be pretty upset if unlimited chocolate milk wasn't a thing anymore. 

There are many vacation places that charge you so much money to be there and to your surprise, charge for every little thing under the sun. The only freebie would be the pool. In the UK, it probably costs twice if not three times the amount to vacation at home than it is to go abroad. It's a complete scam. These companies make enough money off people.

• 7 months later...

I didn't realize the cost of vacationing was so high in the UK! I guess it's a popular destination. Thankfully the pool is free, but when food prices are too high on-site it makes the cost of vacationing out of my budget. If I'm going somewhere where I can't cook my own meals, I know my time there is short lived because food prices are through the roof. That's why cruising is very convenient because food prices are all included in the per person fare. I don't need an extra steak or lobster tail at dinner to get me by. The fact that I have unlimited access to limitless amounts of food is so convenient for my entire family. It also makes planning easy. The kids can order anything off the menu or grab anything from the buffet without having to second guess if it's in the budget.

• 3 weeks later...

@FJB I think you are right about that. There is potential that all food/drinks onboard could actually be charged to all guests. There would be no such thing as "included" or "complimentary." This type of cruising wouldn't be for me. In fact the cruise line that begins this trend will likely get loads of backlash. I love the convenience of cruising. The pay one price, get the basics idea is perfectly simplified and practical for the average vacationer. If cruising becomes more complicated than this, I will begin looking to vacation in other ways. The cruise lifestyle is for me but not if it becomes overly complicated. 

image.thumb.png.02b535b3ab564b87115151a19c215dcc.png