Cruise Hive Boards

Hawaii in December 2023

Unfortunately, none of us here have a crystal ball that works. If your heart is set on stopping at Maui, it likely will not happen. Princess will most likely stop at a different port, thus keeping the number of port days the same. If it's something you don't like, well..., you can cancel; refunds per your cruise contract cancellation clause or travel insurance policy. (BTW - all cruise lines reserve the right to change the itinerary at any time, even during the cruise, as spelled out in the cruise contract.)

Good luck

@Rosemary This is such a sad and disturbing time for Hawaii. I feel so deeply for the mass amount of people who lost their livelihood. I am confident your cruise will by then continue on with its cruise, even potentially stopping in Hawaii as planned. I wouldn't cancel this cruise. Give it a month or two and see how everything pans out. Even if your itinerary doesn't stop in Hawaii, I'm sure Princess Cruises will either properly compensate guests or change to other lovely ports of call. 

@FJB Yes, I doubt Hawaii will need to be completely avoided. By December hopefully, everything has stabilized some. 

@kefthecruiser Thanks for adding that in there. any cruise guests don't know that the itineraries and cruise structure are really all at the discretion of the cruise line. The cruise lines reserve the right to cancel and/or change the cruise itinerary at any time, including in the middle of the sailing. 

Are there still trips going to Hawaii? I've read reports stating that it's a big location and one side is affected so therefore ships could visit the other destination. But surely how anyone could visit a destination and enjoy themselves knowing that there is carnage going on the island.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ I think some Hawaiian cruises have continued on but many have altered itineraries to avoid the areas of tragedy. I believe NCL has made the decision to cancel bookings for Hawaii for this month. I'm not sure if the cruise line will reconsider this perspective for next month. I don't think this is currently an area of interest because, as you mentioned, it's an area that is suffering a great loss. Personally, I wouldn't want to visit now.

• Like 1

@LukeJ The fires were reported to have been 100% contained as of August 12th. I don't think anyone would dare to venture to an area where fires are active. That would be a horrid circumstance. I think if the area is up for visitors and feels recovered, then guests can visit it, but if the area is not ready and filled with dispairs, cruise lines should not venture there. Apparently, there are parts of Maui open to visitors right now including Hana, Kahului, and Wailea along with the islands of Lanai and Oahu. Have you cruised to Hawaii in the past?

Hawaii has 5 islands with ports that accomodate cruise ships: Kauai, Oahu, Lanai, Maui (2 ports), and Hawaii aka the Big Island (2 ports). Only the port at Lahaina, Maui is closed, as is the surrounding area, due to the firestorm. Each island is unique and beautiful. I have personally been to Oahu, Maui and the Big Island; staying on the islands rather than via cruise ship.

For more info, try this:

https://www.gohawaii.com/trip-planning/transportation/cruises

• Like 1

@kefthecruiser Thanks for all this info! I haven't been to Hawaii yet either so I had to do some research when it came to port options. It seems like most cruise lines opt to take guests to Maui which is why I'm noticing guests voicing their concerns about upcoming itineraries. It seems like the area is not going to be fully recovered for quite some time, but there is certainly a sense of urgency to restore everything to gain an increase in tourism. What was your favorite area in Hawaii, and which area would you recommend for a first-time visit there? 

It's been over twenty years since I've been to Hawaii. The flora and fauna are outstanding. It is truly a tropical paradise, in the middle of nowhere. The economy is heavily reliant on tourism, though some locals are less welcoming than others. Oahu, where Honolulu is, is the most populous and thus most developed island. It of course has Waikiki Beach, but for me, Pearl Harbor is not to be missed. Now that the Battleship Missouri is now on display there, I need to go back. In contrast, the Big Island was rather rural at the time. It's outstanding feature is Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. If the park is open and you get to the top, looking into the caldera is impressive. We stayed in Maui just outside of Lahaina. I think the resort was spared but is currently being used for temporary housing for displaced locals. I won't dwell on Lahaina since it's all gone. I remember there was much more to Maui, including a jungle road that took us to remote black sand beaches. 

Where to start for a first timer? Tough question, I'm told Kauai is the most romantic. One really needs to research and find what is important to you. They all have beaches, surfing, resorts, golfing, deep sea fishing, land tours, helicopter tours, etc. 

A cruise ship stop hardly covers it.

@kefthecruiser Thanks for sharing all of your experience! Honolulu is usually one of the more popular Hawaiian areas of tourism. Kauai is also another popular area for cruisers! I expect to see a change in tourism in Lahaina. I doubt it will be able to return back to its original state. So much of the historical beauty and landmarks have been affected by the fires. The natural beauty of the area will always exist, but I believe returning guests will experience a completely new experience when visiting again.

I completely agree. I don't think a one-day cruise stop would be enough time to truly experience all the surrounding landmarks.