Cruise Hive Boards

All Cruise Lines

@Cruise Lines That's very true, the taller railings and barriers would help prevent such occurrences, but truly if a person is contemplating or even considering such action, I don't think the railings would be enough. I agree that removing the majority of the danger would be helpful, but if a guest has this instinct then it can't be the responsibility of the cruise line. I would think a mental health screening of sorts would be potentially helpful in identifying those who may be "triggered" or "inclined" to take such risks. It's absolutely horrifying when I hear about such occurrences, and I do agree that eliminating/preventing these dangers is extremely valuable.

Why must we always ruin things for 99% of the people because 1% of the people are ignorant?!  The railings on ships don’t need to be any taller or have any safety bars on them.  Period!  This would ruin the views and the cruise experience.  If you don’t know how to keep yourself or your kids off the rails, then I suggest you stay at home in your padded room. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, kefthecruiser said:

@FJB Here! Here! I'm with you. I have no interest in cruising in a super-sized bird cage. What next? Tied to a tether line in port so you don't fall off the pier going ashore? People need to get back to being responsible.

Tethers don’t work. Ask this couple…

https://www.foxnews.com/world/toddler-drowns-after-parents-cooking-dinner-leave-her-harness-boat

@FJB Oh my word this news story was horrifying! I just can't imagine this sort of thing happening, but it's a huge responsibility being on the water with little ones who can't swim. I don't think a tether and a television show would have been a good choice, and clearly, it wasn't. I don't like the idea of tall railings like a jail cell. Cruising isn't for everyone and those who aren't stable enough to cruise should just try a land activity. A mental health screening isn't a bad idea either, although some could find that an invasion of personal privacy. 

@kefthecruiser What a way to look at it, as a birdcage! I don't think I would venture to book a balcony stateroom if I had to peak through a porthole. For that, I can get an ocean-view stateroom! 

@SpaceCowboy9 That's a thought. I would be so confused watching guests walk around in something like this. This would really make at-risk guests stand out. Maybe an electrical fence sort of contraption could be done in the future as technology advances, like a forcefield situation. All jokes aside, I just get so sad to read news stories about harm done to others or guests harming themselves. If there was an extra step in protecting guests I would support it. I don't find cruise ships to be unsafe at all, but for some, it could be considered risky. I always take extra precautions while drinking or with my children. As always, it's better to be safe than sorry, anywhere you are.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone on here. @Kendall James-Vargas I agree if anyone wants to jump, then nothing will stop that person. The railings and barriers are high enough imo to prevent accidental falls, so it's pointless making them higher because they will find another way. @kefthecruiseryup again I'm with you. I wouldn't like a birdcage either, not only would I not be able to see the ocean view which on a vacation I would like to do, but I'd feel claustrophobic if I had to be condensed in.