Priority Boarding

Due to some confusion, CCL has responded to guests' concerns about priority boarding in Galveston, TX.  The procedure is quite simple, although some seemed confused by the protocols. For those that have cruised with CCL priority boarding, are the lines significantly shorter? Do you find the CCL priority boarding to be worthwhile? As someone who isn't a VIFP Diamond or Platinum member, I'm not sure if spending the extra money would be worth it just for priority check-in.

Why yes, I am Carnival VIFP Platinum and could take advantage of FTTF. In my case I've developed my very own ALTTF. I target boarding between 1:30 to 2:00pm (where is everybody?) where I get individualized, personalized service throughout the boarding process, can go directly to my cabin for my bag drop, and finally make it to Guy Fierro's for that classic All American meal - cheeseburger, fries, and a coke. Yummie. I then join the throngs (and yes some with thongs who really shouldn't) on Lido for the sail away party. If the timing is right, several FTTF people lounging poolside are almost a nice crispy red skin color. What a life! (ALTTF - Almost Last To The Fun)

• Like 1

WE cruised from Miami a couple of  years ago.......at the time we were Platinum , later Diamond.   After the announcement of Diamond Boarding were announced, the next call was for Platinum ( about 5 minutes later), in exactly 30 seconds they called General Boarding slots. There were no gaps between Platinum and General Boarding....huge mess....looked like an old cowboy round up. Insane.....

Edited by Mr.Bill
grammar
  • Like 1

@Kendall James-Vargas We cruise out of Galveston mostly on Carnival and have used both Faster to the Fun and other forms of priority embarkation/debarkation. Previously, the main reason I purchased FTTF was the priority debarkation. We have a long drive and I like getting off the ship early. Priority debarkation whether FTTF, Suite or Platinum/Diamond provides a much more orderly and somewhat relaxed experience with which to end your cruise. During embarkation, I've always found the check-in lines for priority boarding to be very short, if there was a line at all.
Carnival's terminals in Galveston are, to be gentle, sort of aging warehouses. Their main terminal is undergoing some renovation in preparation for the arrival of Jubilee in December so I am anxious to see the upgrades and whether there is any difference for priority boarding.
We've only had issues with our priority boarding one or two times and it was the result of the terminal staff not understanding some of the rules when they allowed priority boarding again after COVID. That being said, although everyone sort of passes through the same areas outside to get to the boarding area the priority lane is clearly marked. 
Even for those without priority boarding my experience was been that the timed boarding appointment system works pretty well. I personally don't need to get on the ship right away but I usually get out-voted and we board as soon as we can. 
I show up early mainly to drop off our bags and also find a good spot in the garage. 

• Like 1

@KeithGThanks for all of your feedback! I agree that priority disembarkation is a huge perk, especially in tender ports! It sounds like your experience with Faster to the Fun has been a great one. You are very knowledgeable about the Galveston port. I'm glad the port is undergoing some enhancements based on your observation, it sounds like it needs them!

@Mr.Bill Your experience sounds very different! I'm bummed to hear that the priority you paid for wasn't really the line's priority after all. 

@kefthecruiser I love that you developed your own strategy! A cheeseburger, fries, and coke sounds fantastic right about now. You are making me want to book a CCL cruise to get a taste of those delicious burgers.

My last cruise in April out of Long Beach it seemed that it made no difference if you had FTTF as you had to stand outside in your boarding time slot. Then would see people that had an earlier boarding time show up 1-2 hours past there assigned boarding time and allowed to go inside to wait and board causing my enrltry into the building delayed. They finally let our line in and it was a swip left or right type situation.. FTTF go left general boarding go right. Once inside I sat down for about 10 minutes and diamonds, platinum, and suites got to go first then FTTF.  Ot sure how soon after FTTF the general boarding started but it seemed a bit of a waste to have the FTTF in regards to embarkation. Priority demarcation for tender ports was nice but didn't make any difference when trying to get back on the ship everyone had to stand in line under the scorching sun for an hour as we waited for tenders to.go back and forth (cabo). On demarcation day it was a cluster "F". FTTF met in one of the lounges had coffee and pastry service buy we sat and waited as we saw many people leaving the ship many who didn't have any status and was carrying their own luggage. The one nice perk of the FTTF was guest services which I used a couple times. I was able to use the exclusive line vs general line which was typically very long and I was able to bypass that mess and got right up questions handled and on my way in quick fashion.if I'm being honest I have mixed feels regarding to the FTTF program. I'm certainly looking forward to becoming a platinum level in 1 more cruise.

• Like 1

@euroguy I will say that we have in the past used FTTF mostly for the prority debarkation. We used it, hopefully for the last time, on our last cruise and I will say I was stunned by the number of people they allowed to purchase FTTF. It seems to me that they are overselling it now, more so than in the past. So there definitely is a mess. We'll be platinum on our next cruise so no more of that hopefully.  Our past uses of FTTF, pre-COVID, it seems they sold a more measured number and the experience was much better.

• Like 1

@KeithG There isn't a cap to how many guests can book the FTTF package?  It's pretty redundant if there isn't a maximum amount of slots for guests to utilize this program. It's not going to be so fast and fun if it's oversaturated and guests aren't really getting priority at at point. I guess cruise lines are just trying to recoup their losses any way they can, and if that's allowing everyone to spend more at capacity, then it's fair game. 

@euroguy You are almost there! Platinum status is going to get you some serious perks. Needlessly waiting in lines is not my favorite. I dread having to wait in the customer service line onboard the ship if I end up having a mishap. I honestly don't have the capacity to wait in the line without a drink in my hand.

@KeithG I guess that makes sense, but still, maybe this program should just be more limited. For the price you have to pay, I would expect it to be more exclusive and beneficiary to the cruise guest. It's no fun if you get excited about the FTTF program just to be disappointed about it being oversaturated once you get on board.