Cruise Hive Boards

Dominican Republic

Despite the Dominican Republic having Level-2 increased caution warning, tourism (especially from cruisers) is on the rise. This caution has not warded off any cruisers and quite the opposite is happening. The warning is due to an increase in crime for the area, but the popularity of the gorgeous scenery isn't going unnoticed. Has anyone been to the Dominican Republic recently for a visit? Are any cruisers intimidated but this warning? 

Was there in May - had a great time.  We did the Damajagua River Adventure (out of Amber Cove) - the locals we talked to were great.

No, I am not intimidated by this warning, it's just like any major city, you have to be aware of your surroundings.  Besides, if you go to Amber Cove and never leave the cruise port, you have nothing to fear.

@SpaceCowboy9 I'm glad you aren't intimidated to continue visiting the DR. Most of these happenings are likely not affecting travelers that are exploring some of the amazing things the area has to offer. I agree, staying aware of your surroundings in every area is the best way to protect yourself against any crime. The cruise port is always pretty safe. Amber Cove is a gem, and for those that don't know, Amber Cove is Carnival Cruise Line's private island. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Dominican several times and love the country. I haven't been on a cruise but stayed in a hotel. We were treated like royalty and found it very safe. Even when we had a tour around the island, it seemed to be very safe and not once did we feel ill at ease. It's a shame to hear of the increased warning, but hopefully this won't put people off.

Did you by chance stay in an all-inclusive hotel? I have been interested to do something like that as an extended family vacation. I'm glad you felt safe while off on your own, touring the Dominican Republic. I'm sure most of the locals are kindhearted people. The area's culture seems very inviting and family oriented. I haven't ventured out on my own without a tour guide, but I remember feeling safe as well. I will be back in Puerto Plata soon, and I do intend to do some self-guided exploring. I will let you know how I feel once I'm there. 

Yes I did. Twice. All inclusive with its own private beach. Everything you needed was there and really there was no need to even leave the area, however I always like to see what's around seeing as it took me a long time to get there. It was very interesting area and the tour guide made it worthwhile and was funny and knowledgeable at the same time.

Vacationing on a private beach in the Dominican Republic must have been amazing! Yes, I would imagine after flying and spending so much time and energy to arrive, you must have wanted to explore the area. Was the beach water crystal clear? The area is expanding so much on the cruise front that two ports are being added to the DR. The Port Cabo Rojo and Semana Byport are being constructed as we speak. Both of these ports are set to open by the end of this year. 

@3Sisters the whole experience was amazing. The waters as you say was crystal clear, an unbelievable sight, and even more breathtaking was seeing a shark swim among the waves, gliding past us. It was out of this world seeing the greatest thing in the world so close. And we were assured by the workers that the sharks were like their grandparents - no teeth. Which seemed to relax us even more.

• Like 1

That actually sounds a bit frightening! Were you able to recognize what kind of shark it was? Hopefully, it was just a little guy. I remember as a kid snorkeling and seeing Baricudda in the reefs. I always wanted to go back ashore after that. Snorkeling is so fun and great until the fish and sea life start looking at you the wrong way! I'm not so sure that sharks come without teeth. Maybe they don't attack often, but I have only seen sharks with teeth. Whales on the other hand, those creatures are cute as a button and more like a grandparent than a shark!

@3Sisters I don't recall the kind of shark and even though it looked tremendous to see such beauty swim past us, as sharks go, it may have been a small pup in comparison. And I'm guessing the no teeth line was a throwaway comment  to ease us as the islanders do have a good but dry sense of humour.

• Like 1

I'm assuming it wasn't a great white shark then! Those things are massive. I agree that the no teeth comment doesn't sound accurate. Thankfully you enjoyed it for its beauty and nobody got attacked so that's good! Earlier this year, CCL ended up canceling several shore excursions because of the number of shark attacks in Noumea. I definitely wouldn't want to risk being shark bait. I guess some areas are more prone to attacks than others. I wonder if it has something to do with the amount of food access for the shark locals. If the sharks get hungry, they will be searching for a vacationer floating on a beach mat. At least that's what I imagine could happen.

I absolutely love sharks, and have been fascinated by them since I was a child.  Maybe it was something like a nurse shark, who are very docile and swim around that area. I would love to see them up close, but then on the other hand I don't. 

@SpaceCowboy9 Thanks for your feedback here. It reassuring to cruise guests who haven't been to the DR before to not be intimated by this travel advisory but, of course, be cautious in all new environments. Yes, while cruising to Amber Cove you certainly don't have to keep your guard high. All private islands are a great place to truly unwind without feeling the need to keep watch of your surroundings. 

Sharks are definitely beautiful in the wild, but when they get too close they are certainly intimidating! Last September 2022, a RCL cruise guest died from a shark attack in the Bahamas. This horrifying incident happened during an independently booked snorkeling excursion to Green Cay. It's always nice to stay near the shoreline at the beach. When you go out into the wild, except to see some wild animals.

• Like 1

The tour of the island is certainly something that I recommend. Not only is it a beautiful island, but the guide was informative and entertaining. We looked around the island and was shown how the life of the sugar canes and how cigars are done. 

Wow, that article on the shark attack is so saddening! I stand by my recommendation of booking all excursions through the cruise line to ensure safety and peace of mind. Of course, flukes happen everywhere, but I believe that the cruise line options are the safest and most secure when traveling to unknown territory. I love learning about the local culture! It sounds like you got the real deal experience from sugar canes to cigars! Were about able to bring the cigars back home with you?