Cruise Hive Boards

Cancelled cruise on Ocean Explorer

Last night we received word that our July 16, 2023, cruise — North American Waterways: St. Laurence and Great Lakes on the MS Ocean Explorer has been cancelled. Now we find out that a Class Action suit has been filed against Vantage Travel in Boston. And both the MS Ocean Explorer and the MS Ocean Odyssey were repossessed and are docked in Caens, France. And three months of cruises have been cancelled. And the insurance company will not refund money because Vantage cancelled.

Anyone else affected by this or had their Vantage cruise cancelled?

• Sad 1

@Georgia Girl cruising That's such a bummer! I had no idea that a recent class action lawsuit has been filed against Vantage Travel, but this agency doesn't seem to have a very good track record. After doing some digging, I observed that Vantage Travel has notoriously let travel guests down and led them astray, not holding up their end of the bargain. Based on some of the reviews, I would not recommend Vantage Travel due to its lack of consistency and credibility. I'm so sorry to hear that the insurance company will not refund your money. You are certainly deserving of this refund, and I personally, wouldn't stop until you receive it back. I'm assuming Vantage Travel will not answer any more customer calls or emails either. What a mess! 

In terms of both MS Ocean Explorer and the MS Ocean Odyssey becoming repossessed, I'm very curious to see which cruise line or private entity ends up purchasing these ships. I believe they both have plenty of life left in them! What do you think will end up happening with these well-loved ships?

Both ships are new, so they definitely have lots of life left. We’re hoping that the new ship owners will honor the remaining paid-for cruises in 2023 and 2024. Otherwise, we’ll most likely lose the money we paid for our March 2024 cruise, too. I don’t see how we’ll ever get any of our money back. Nor will any other passengers. Am I wrong to think this?

• Sad 2

@Georgia Girl cruising Sorry to say, it does look bleak. Your best bet is the class action lawsuit and hope for the best. Good attorneys will find where the money went and clawback what they can.  It will take time, doubtful any resolution this year. I don't think it's hopeless. The largest fraud / Ponzi scheme on record is Bernie Madoff. Approximately 75 cents per dollar lost was recovered over a period of 14 yrs. Not the same, I know, just saying...

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Georgia Girl cruising The new ship owners honoring the remaining paid-for cruises in 2023 and 2024 is pretty unlikely. I agree with @kefthecruiser that you may need to take legal action in order to recover your losses from this very unfortunate circumstance. I think as time passes, many of the booked cruise guests will give up on the idea of taking legal action, but those that do fight to regain what is rightfully theirs will have to put in lots of time and energy to make it happen. I would hate to sound doubtful but recovering your money here isn't going to be easy. I do think it's worthwhile to give it a go though. If you are able to recover your losses in a couple of years, that means you can book another cruise with a more reputable line in the future! After all that headache you will certainly need a cruise vacation anyhow.