Cruise Hive Boards

MSC Makes History

MSC Cruises will be cruising its first zero-emissions voyage. In fact, this will be the first-ever net zero greenhouse gas emissions sailing in the history of the industry. MSC Euribia will leave the shipyard in France on June 3, embarking on his historical voyage. I'm very excited to see the uproar in excitement over this major achievement. I think this is the beginning of a true industry shift. Do you agree?

I am all for lowering / eliminating greenhouse gas emissions, across all industries.

There’s a lot of PR hype to this article. It is MSC first LNG ship, and that does produce lower greenhouse gas emissions that an oil-fired ship. Carnival is the current LNG ship leader, as the article rightly notes. So, not much new there.

So, what is new here to claim ‘net zero greenhouse emissions’ by using bio-LNG? (Recognize the bio-LNG is only used for the inaugural cruise.) Bio-LNG and LNG are virtually the same, containing over 95% methane each, the rest being impurities, mainly nitrogen (source: Gasum website, the bio-LNG fuel supplier to MSC). Physically, when the methane combusts, it produces carbon dioxide and water, both are going out the stack. So, not truly zero emissions.

Net zero is little more than a convention adapted by industry / government that any use of biomass is net zero because the biomass converted atmospheric carbon dioxide into more biomass. Thus the circle of carbon…

Why isn’t MSC using bio-LNG consistently? Availability and cost

Until we use fuels that are carbon free, there will always be carbon dioxide emissions produced. That’s high school chemistry.

WHEW, my brain hurts, I need a cruise.

Edited by kefthecruiser
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@kefthecruiser Wow, you really know your stuff! Reading through this article was educating me on several different aspects of the ship fueling components. Thanks for sharing that info here. I think that as MSC Crusies switches up its sustainability measures and fueling operations, it's paving the way for other cruise lines to do the same. The cruise line is diversifying and branching out to try other alternatives to the popular LNG-powered fuel trend. I appreciate the progressive approach MSC Cruises has to reduce emissions and create a more sustainable cruise line. Do you agree that MSC Cruises is moving in the right direction, or do you think the cruise line could be making other efforts to create a more sustainable fleet?

As a retired power generation engineer, I was involved with development, engineering and construction of power plants using all types of fuels. This is not to brag, but to add credibility. Each cruise ship essentially has a power plant down in the ship’s bowels. As much as I would like to see it, the behind the scenes tour won’t go there (understandably) for safety reasons.

Yes, I agree that MSC is moving in the right direction; as are others as well. CCL was already mentioned, NCL plans on ‘green methanol’. The take-away I want to emphasize is simply:

Net Zero Emissions is not zero emissions.

All the ‘biofuels’ and ‘green fuels’ (except one) are all carbon based and emit carbon dioxide when combusted. See my prior post as why this is called net zero. Green hydrogen is the only fuel that has the potential of not containing carbon in its production cycle, though most hydrogen today is made from methane! When you think of hydrogen, remember the Hindenburg…

(Oh, and don't even think about nuclear.)

Can I go cruise now? (LOL)

• Like 2

@kefthecruiser This is very valuable information! It's very misleading to think that Net Zero Emissions doesn't produce any emissions. I researched the definition of "Net Zero Emissions" to learn more about it. According to an online source, the process of achieving net zero is removing carbon dioxide from the environment, but it's reducing greenhouse emissions to be as close to zero as possible. As you mentioned, this process helps reduce emissions but it's not totally eliminating them. Although the process isn't perfect, I do think it's a big step in the right direction. I understand the hype, even though the phrase "Net Zero Emissions" could be misleading to some. 

You are very knowledgeable!

Costa Cruises is also seeking more sustainable measures as it has begun cutting emissions with green transport. 

Edited by Cruising Caribbean

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't the reason why airships aren't used anymore is the cost to run them is extortionate with the cost of helium. How much costs would it take for LNG to run the ships? Is it better than it is now? I am all for cleaner energy used in ships, more the merrier, but I'm just wondering if it costs more, then companies will no doubt start making cuts to save money because they are a business after all, and seek to make a profit somehow, whether that is cut saving costs or passengers paying through their nose for a vacation.

• Like 1

@LukeJ Helium is an inert gas and not a fuel. One you fill the blimp, there it is, except for leaks. Airships went out of fashion due to the better service / accommodations of the competition.

I checked several sources on the internet and they all point to LNG being typically less cost or competitive to the oil types used by cruise ships. What has stopped LNG use in the past is its unavailability at ports worldwide. LNG storage and handling systems on board do cost more since this is a cryogenic fluid. Any leak will vaporize and since it is lighter than air, will collect at the ceiling or go out a vent, all by itself. Any engineer worth his sea legs will have a venting system built into the ship. 

Yep, the cruise companies are in business to attract customers AND make a profit. Not an easy thing to do today.

• Like 2

@LukeJ That's a good thought. I do think that the cost of these ships will affect the overall price of cruising. The price for cruising is already on the rise but it doesn't seem to be affecting the market. In fact, I do believe that the demand for lower to mid-cost cruising is on the rise post-pandemic. It's an interesting concept but I do believe the shut-down has something to do with both the increased cost of cruising and the increased guest demand. A recent article stated that cruise websites are receiving over a 15% increase in traffic due to the growth the industry is seeing. Established cruise lines are exceeding their typical online traffic numbers while other newer lines, such as Virgin Voyages, are surpassing their traditional visitations with over 100% margins. 

Edited by Cruising Caribbean

@kefthecruiser thank you for clearing that up. Your post was an interesting read. In the UK, there isn't that much call for LNG, and is quite difficult to find, so don't know much about it, either than it's cheaper. As for the blimps, the costs are expensive and would need replacing or topped up every few days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@LukeJ Thanks for your insight! 

MSC Cruises has been making big waves in the sustainability realm. The line just released details on its plan to utilize shore power in the near future, announcing a plan to do this in 15 new ports in the United States and Europe. Although MSC Cruises is already utilizing shore power with some of its ships, this plan of action will allow for 15 additional ports to be tapped into from 2024 into 2026. I love the line's strategy to become more environmentally friendly and all of the time and energy it is spending to coordinate more ways to "fuel better."

I'm all for cleaner energy, of course, it's sustainable and it provides a better future for generations to come. My worry is purely financial. I do not trust companies at all. If they have to make a profit, then there are only a couple of options that they will take. Increase costs which in turn affects us all as guests financially or cut costs onboard which will affect us as guests and we won't get the overall vacation experience.

• Thanks 2

@LukeJ Well that concern is very valid. In fact, I believe one of the main reasons why cruise itineraries are becoming so expensive is due to the increased costs to manufacture and upkeep these more sustainable vessels. Cruise lines are also significantly cutting corners onboard to recover from shutdown-related losses. What's wild to me is that the cruise lines are still thriving beyond measure! Those who have been loyal to the cruise industry longer are more affected by these cutbacks. The industry has significantly changed over the past 20 years. One example is the food offerings in the MDR. Cruise lines are really cutting back in that department, and the food options and quality have significantly declined. Do you agree?

Yes I do agree with you. A very valid point you've just made. The food options definitely is not as grand as it once was. It was certainly something extraordinary once upon a time with food and service, something you would be talking about to people for a long time. Now I find it's no different to any other hospitality venues. If the fuel makes it cheaper from holidaymakers then it's a win win situation, however I hold my breath.

• Like 2

@LukeJ It's just not that hard to offer a variety of options onboard. Offering a larger variety of food items doesn't cost the cruise line more money; it just takes a bit more brain power. I think the reason why cruise lines just copy and paste meals every day is because it's simpler and easier for the cruise crew not to have to breakaway from the same old. What happened to chefs taking pride in their culinary art? I liked when the cruise chefs would have more say in what the ship offered. Do you remember the fruit carving? That was so much fun. I haven't seen that in a while either. 

Yes chefs don't have much say in anything at all anymore. And you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to the variety of food. You can easily make different dishes with the same ingredients of food, just let your ambitions go wild. To stock up thousands of unwanted ingredients is a total waste. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I usually don't have a problem with the number of food options onboard, but it can be pretty mundane when the same food options are offered every single day onboard a 7-night or more cruise. I would enjoy it if the cruise line switched it up a bit more each day or even month. Considering I am a relatively avid cruiser, I don't enjoy going back on the same ship to get a copy and past food experience! Chef's specials or seasonal items are really nice ways to keep the food options fresh and exciting for cruisers!

And I agree with you, but there a lots of different meals that could be done with similar ingredients rather than stocking thousands of ingredients and fear wasting so much. I understand it's money that the companies have, just a bug bear of mine to see so much food waste going in the world.

As a chef of 16 years, I too hate waste, but unfortunately there is no clear pattern on how much to prepare as most places, even though you may only prep enough for reservations, people could always just show up spontaneously and catch you off guard. So the prep would need to be in a large quantity just in case. But on a cruise, the chefs know the numbers needed, so I can't see that much waste as you can work out the preparation needed.

I think I was right on the money about an industry shift. Royal Caribbean stated that it will be utilizing new waste-to-energy technology for two of its new ships. This will be the first time for the industry as solid waste becomes power on these cruise ships. The two ships that will feature this technology will be Icon of the Seas and Silver Nova. It's a very interesting process and I wonder if other lines will follow suit and begin to implement this sort of sustainable system for its ships.

In addition, I completely agree about the food waste onboard. Maybe this is why cruise lines have become so repetitive with food offerings. Perhaps cruise lines only stick to guests' favorites to avoid a potential waste of food if the dish isn't as popular as the rest. 

It's a catch 22 situation when it comes to hospitality. One hand you don't want waste, and try to keep it tight by prepping enough or keeping the same ingredients to prevent waste and the other hand, you will need a reason to get guests to come to you. If everyone is doing the same menus then it's difficult to stand out.

I'm right there with you. Carnival Cruise Line is trying out its new menu onboard some ships. Hopefully, this is the start of many cruise lines doing the same thing! The new menu is already getting some heat for some of its food items. A video went viral about the poor quality of the enchiladas onboard. Have you seen that?

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

A way to keep food items fresh and exciting without creating food waste could be to utilize the unordered food in the MDR in the buffet areas! For instance, if there are leftover grilled veggies that weren't ordered, they can be diced up and utilized in a pasta salad instead. When I worked at a restaurant in high school, all of those leftover food items were turned into the soup of the day! Even the bones from the meat were used to make the broth for the soups. As a chef, did you ever do things like this to reduce waste in your kitchen?

Yes you are spot on. In most places, we would incorporate all the waste into something like pies or soups. But what we found is that we had so much soup and pies that we didn't know what to do with it. It was really about trying to teach people in ordering correctly and not have so much waste. Some would accept it, and others continued wasting.