@kefthecruiser The stores onboard are fun and attract a crowd because it's a great leisurely activity, but if you are looking for a bargain, probably best to stick to an outlet mall. Jack Daniels is a great friend to many! Duty-free is a great way to incentivize shoppers, but for guests like yourself, you don't fall for the trap! If I could drink it onboard for that price, then it may be a different story. When you buy alcohol bottles at the cruise ship stores, they hold them until the end of your cruise so you can't enjoy it onboard and spend more at the bar. 

@Cruising Caribbean Exactly. The jewelry stores know how to fire up a crowd with the free trinkets and flash sales. Has the tanzanite mine run out yet? My first cruise in 1999 pitched tanzanite as 'soon to skyrocket in value' because the mine was almost mined out. If so, I need to find that $10 trinket from back then, it must be worth thousands now.

A PSA I will offer here is this - If you do purchase duty free on trips, be aware of what the limits are for bringing the goods home. Spend in excess and you will pay the duty amount at the Port of Entry.

• Like 1

@kefthecruiser I think shopping at the $10 or less section can be sort of fun. It's just something to do really. Walking around after a nice dinner, browsing the shops, and people-watching. The idea of purchasing tons of cruise line-branded gear doesn't catch my attention either. I think Tanzanite is still pretty affordable! The cruise line definitely got you with that selling scheme. That's a great disclaimer. Overspending on the duty-free goods doesn't really get you anywhere. Shop responsibly, friends! 

• Like 1

@kefthecruiser oh that made me smile. We in the UK have shops like that. Something forever on sale, get the price now because it won't be around long. It's a common joke with us now as half the shops are still going after twenty years and the sale is still on. The everything must go sale makes me smile as the shop is closed once all goods are gone. Then surprisingly they made so much money from the sale they can afford to keep going for another year.

There are lots of stores like this in the US too. It's just a blatant, non-sale scam. It could work for some shoppers, but this overpriced, constantly on-sale seller tactic is a joke to me. I prefer honest decently priced goods with a nice little clearance tag on them! I'm fine with buying last year's style or model to get it at a better rate. 

Exactly right. I have no objections to last year's model. I've never been one that like to keep up with the Jones', and I'm happy to get good quality stuff that lasts rather than the name alone. Sometimes the names that people are buying is really not worth it.

Yes, buying expensive clothing is not necessary. Good quality is a must, but name brands don't really matter. I prefer to sacrifice name-brand items for a cruise experience. To be honest the cost of an expensive, luxury purse or bracelet is the same as a week-long vacation. I have started to ask my husband for cruise vacation gifts instead of high-end fashion. I will stick with my generic t-shirt and bring it on my cruise for irreplaceable memories!

• 2 weeks later...

Priorities sorted there. I agree, materials are expensive and one I personally don't understand, but I appreciate that there are people who love designer stuff and work hard to get it and look good, that's up to each individual. But myself, I would rather save that money and buy something worthwhile in my mind. If that's a vacation to keep memories with my family then thats what I will do. 

Europe, the duty free isn't that much cheaper anymore than it once was. We could always go into duty free and save a fortune, however the last time I went to one, I was quite surprised at the prices so I bought one or two things instead of a large quantity.