Coke zero

@kks The good news is that Norwegian Cruise Line switched from Pepsi to Coke beverage products last year! Since I haven't cruised onboard Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America, I'm not sure if Coke Zero is actively being offered onboard but I would assume the answer is yes! I have noticed some self-service Coke machines available to guests onboard some of NCL's ships. Those machines pretty much have every Coke product under the sun! There is a great chance you will find your drink of choice onboard.

I have noticed that most people are either huge Coke product fans or huge Pepsi product fans, not really much of a middle ground. Since I probably drink a soda or two annually, I usually opt for a traditional Coke, and this is only because of the cola syrup. As someone who actively gets migraines, something in the cola syrup is really great as an anti-nausea. The cola syrup can also help reduce the nausea symptoms from motion sickness. After a long car ride, I occasionally drink a Coke to help with those symptoms, and it can also be helpful for seasickness on a choppy day at sea. The ingredient, phosphoric acid is actually found in cola syrup, the same active ingredient in popular over-the-counter antinausea medications!

@Kendall James-Vargas coca cola was originally invented as a medicine for soldiers fighting in the war. Obviously it wasn't as it is today but it contained cocaine to help with any pain subjected during fighting. As it contained cocaine extracted from the coca leaf, that's where the part of the name originated from. As cocaine was legal back then, it was served for medicinal reasons. But obviously that side of it has now been removed as well as the coca part of the name. However the sugar content now helps you reduce the feeling of nausea in your stomach.

That's really cool information. I think the cocaine piece in the Cola products must have really got everyone hooked! That may be why some folks are truly obsessed with the product. I actually think the taste of Pepsi is great, still high in sugar with a hint of cherry flavor. My mom tried to make me a healthy one not too long about and she used lime, baking soda, water, balsamic vinegar, and honey. I thought it was so awful, but my kids thought it was so delicious. I guess if you crave a healthy alternative you could always give this concoction a try to see if you enjoy it. It was a solid no from me. 

I know people say coke is bad for you because a lot remain addicted but they don't seem to understand that it's a habit that they're addicted to rather than the drink itself. We can all get an addiction to something providing we keep doing the same habit over and over.

I think it's the caffeine that gets everyone hooked on Coke! I personally rely on a cup of coffee in the morning to get by, and it has that same caffeinated effect. I really don't like the amount of sugar in most sodas, I find it unnecessary. Everyone has their personal tastes and habits but overdoing anything has its downfalls. 

Speaking of drinks, some cruise guests try to bring their own and sneak it onboard. This is obviously against the cruise rules but guests will try it now and then. I read a great article on what happened if you get caught sneaking drinks onboard. The overall idea is, it's not worth the risk! The consequences of sneaking drinks, particularly alcohol onboard a cruise ship are certainly not worth it. 

Each cruise line has its own protocols and repercussions for breaking the rules. When sneaking drinks onboard you are clearly breaking the rules of most cruise lines, although some cruise lines do allow you to bring one bottle of wine per adult which I love to do when allowed. Alcohol packages are a big money maker for cruise lines so they definitely push them onboard. If you were to bring your own drinks onboard, you will be consuming alcohol in secret which could become a safety hazard for the cruise line and would be taking away from money spent onboard. So consequences usually include confiscation of the non-allowed substance, receiving a fine for breaking the rules, or completely missing your cruise experience by being denied boarding. 

• 1 month later...

That's a good thought. A fine would definitely be appropriate, but I'm not sure if it's good enough alone to make a guest not break the rules. In my mind, if there is a risk that I couldn't cruise again, I'm going to do anything in my power not to make that mistake. I love cruising too much to risk having that experience taken away from me! There is a little onboard confine area for the really naughty guests onboard I have heard though. I can't imagine all of the wild things the cruise security teams come across.

I'm sure cruise lines receive much backlash from a rule breaker. Clearly, if you are breaking the rules, you either, one, don't respect rules or, two, find the rules to be irrelevant or unimportant. I don't think I could live a rule-breaker lifestyle, it would cause me too much anxiety and stress. Playing by the rules works nicely for me, and I have no problem respecting rules either. If I want to challenge the rule, I choose to go about it the proper way, ethically. There is too much risk involved and my reputation on the line to mess it all up over saving a few bucks! 

It baffles me that people break the rules. I understand it's a challenge to push it to the limit, but rules are rules. They are there for a reason, to stop chaos. I am a stickler for keeping to the rules, and sometimes I'm ridiculed for it, but a world without rules is a frightening place. And when they break them, these people cannot understand why they no longer can continue. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I completely agree. It's much easier to follow the rules, and if you want to create your own rules/defy the ones given, then choose a different vacation experience. You and I are definitely on the same playing field here. Maybe that's why we both enjoy cruising so much! Cruising is a simplified vacation experience where I don't have to worry or stress about the extra little things. I like that the ship is a safe and secure floating paradise. I have no problem abiding by the rules, and I enjoy the structure they provide for all guests.

@Kendall James-Vargas I'm glad I'm not alone in this mindset. People challenge rules, we all see it day to day. Their attitude of 'you don't tell me what to do' is truly pathetic. It causes friction for no reason whatsoever. Rules are nothing personal, its set purely for everyone benefit and a level playing field. What makes people think they are better than the other people that follow the rules.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I absolutely do! The 'you don't tell me what to do' mentality could be understood in communist countries and certain extreme situations. Still, most governments work for the fairness and safety of the majority. I believe that without structured guidelines, the world would be a mess. I wish it was easier for everyone to accept basic rules and regulations and not push the envelope, but that will always be a thing. Every position has an opposition. These opposites exist all around so not everyone will see eye to eye on everything.