Cruise Hive Boards

American Cemetery in Normandy tour from Le Havre France.

I cannot be that close to the American Cemetery at Normandy without visiting from my port call in Le Havre.  Unfortunately the only tour that would pick up at the port has ceased operations.  Private tours that originate from Le Havre start at over 1000 Euros which is a little more than I would like to spend.  Is there a ship forum or bulletin board to reach out to other passengers on the Regal Princess 17 September 2023 cruise to organize a private group tour? 

• Like 2

I don’t have a specific answer for you on arranging a tour.

You are so right about going to the American Cemetery and Normandy beaches. I was able to do that tour from Le Havre on my TA in 2016. I was awestruck and will always remember walking through the rows, one after another, of heroes who died for our freedom. It’s the NUMBER 1 port stop of all my cruises and I’ll never forget it.  

DSCN3518.JPG

DSCN3509.JPG

• Like 2

@MarkH A private group tour sounds like a fun initiative. I wonder if there are any other cruisers on the same September itinerary with you! Sharing a taxi could certainly help with lowering the cost a bit. Will this be your first time cruising onboard Regal Princess? This ship was involved in a plane crash rescue back in 2019! It was a pretty amazing rescue mission.

@kefthecruiser Thanks for sharing this spot to visit! The photos are truly a sight to remember. It looks very remarkable and like an unforgettable experience. How far was this location from the port?

I remember the bus ride being long as the guide ran out of things to say. We went to the beaches first, local museums, and then the cemetery. Unfortunately it was a cold and overcast day. I think total excursion time was around 8 hrs. Google maps says it's 1 hr 45 min from Le Havre to American Cemetery. Rather far for a taxi. My excursion was through the cruise line, but I remember there were independent tours as well. I suppose one could rent a car (?).

• Like 1

@kefthecruiser What a great shot of this cemetery! It does seem a little far, and expensive, to drive almost 2 hours from the port to experience this site on your own. Renting a car would give you much more freedom throughout the day! That's a great idea. 

@MarkH I hope you can find more cruisers willing to jump in on this. I wonder if there is another public transit option that could be more affordable if you can't round up anyone else to tag along. The site seems pretty costal, near Ohama Beach, maybe there is a ferry option. 

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

@MarkH I hope you can visit this memorial site on your upcoming Regal Princess cruise! I found this pretty cool site with some options from the port, but the prices are a bit steep, as you mentioned in your initial post.  https://www.overlordtour.com/product-category/tour-from-ports/

@kefthecruiser It's pretty amazing this cemetery is so closely located to the English Channel. Are you aware if a ferry or tender would be able to cruise to this spot from the cruise terminal? I would much rather enjoy a ferry to this scenic Omaha Beach spot instead of traveling via road in a car. 

@kefthecruiser Thanks for sharing your recollection of the area. I doubt anything has been reconstructed since your visit in 2016. It doesn't sound like you went on a good beach day, but maybe in September, the weather would be nice for a walk on the beach. If you are going all the way over to the cemetery via car from the port, you might as well make a full day of events if you can! 

• 2 weeks later...

@MarkH yeah it's definitely best to get a car and drive there yourself. I did that several years ago as I love history and France is full of history. One thing I noticed about the French is how respectful they are for everyone that was connected to the war. They have graveyards and shrines and pieces of art that represents each country during the war. If you visit Monet's garden in Giverny, placed in the heart of its beautiful town was a shrine dedicated to the British pilots that crash landed there. Le Touquet in north France has V2 rockets on display in the forestry that the Germans took over and is now used as a museum of sort for you to visit. And there were many more like that throughout the country.

• Like 1

It's interesting hearing some of the histories behind this popular landmark. Thanks for sharing all of this historical insight into the area. Since I haven't been to Europe before, all of this culture isn't as tangible as it may be for you! You can't go wrong with visiting local museums at any port of call. Museums are so rich in history and information specific to their native surroundings. 

I love history. It defines us as people and where we are is all down to everything that's happened in the past. Museums are incredible and I'm glad they are still popular and just shows us that people are fascinated by the course of history 

Since you enjoy history, you may like to read about the history and significance of a cruise horn, if you weren't already familiar with it. The cruise ship horn is used for lots of different reasons besides making itself known. It's actually used to display the size of its ship and signify interest to pass while at sea. On the other hand, five short horn blasts can actually mean the ship is in danger, and you can hope to never have to hear that one onboard a cruise! 

I think a horn is essential for a ship. Cruising the ocean has many more rules and regulations than the average person knows. Although a cruise ship isn't designed with blinkers (which would be nice), it does at least need a horn to notify others out in the ocean that a large ship is coming through! The cost of collision is far too great and should be avoided at all costs. Imagine if visibility is low, a ship would need to at least be heard if it can't be seen! That's one of the reasons why a cruise ship horn is so loud. 

I agree, lighthouses were very purposeful! Not only are they beautiful but very practical. I absolutely love the lighthouse show on MSC Cruises' private island, Ocean Cay. It's so exciting and exhilarating to watch the evening light show that dances to choreographed music. I have watched it a few times, but it's so amazing to watch post-dinner on an outdoor deck while disembarking from the port with a drink in hand. One of the highlights of visiting Ocean Cay for sure! 

• 1 month later...

Loved the show. I also like lighthouses and believe they are an important part of our history. I love the concept and I also love the designs of them. There is something magical about a lighthouse when you see them up close. Even after all this time.

@LukeJ Yay, I'm glad you enjoyed it too! I agree that there is something so magical about watching this sort of beauty while surrounded by tranquil water. I really don't think it can disappoint anyone; it's just beautiful to all. The graphics are also exceptional for a show like this too. I enjoyed that the show went on, it wasn't too brief and the music was choreographed so beautifully with the flow of the lights. Lighthouses are just a traditional maritime staple, so seeing them so advanced and modernized with a digitalized light show is a symbol of the new age progression in technology and the marine industry as a whole. MSC Cruises definitely thought hard about guests when choosing the amenities of the area in Ocean Cay.

• 2 months later...