Norwegian Epic Questions

Hello everyone.

We are experienced cruisers but we just booked our first one on NCL.

We are sailing out of Trieste on the Epic in late August.

We have a couple of questions to help us prep for this cruise. Any help would be appreciated.

1- We usually put a few magnets on our cabin door to personalized it and to make it stand out after a few drinks. I read NCL has banned door decorations. Is this correct?

2- Are you able to use magnetic hooks on the walls for extra storage?

3- The power outlets are really limited on this ship. I know power strips are banned. Does NCL allow USB plugs?

Thank you in advance and happy cruising!

@716Matt What's your usual cruise line of choice? Norwegian Cruise Line has been making some significant changes to its upper management, changing around so much of its cruise experiences, hopefully for the better. 

1. I highly doubt the decor will be an issue. I haven't heard of this banning, but I'm sure if it's appropriate there shouldn't be any issue with it. It's worth a shot to bring a couple of magnets. They are easy to pack and take down if the cruise line asks you to do so. I love the idea of "making it stand out after a few drinks!"

2. My guess would be yes you can use magnetic hooks as long as they don't damage the walls in any way. Most cruise cabins are made of lots of metal!

3. I don't have a solid answer for this question, but I haven't heard of a USB plug that wasn't able to be used onboard a cruise ship. Is this a common thing? 

Norwegian Epic has some seriously awesome nightlife options and plenty of dining options to choose from too. Don't miss out on the Epic Plunge waterslide that ends in a pool!  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@716Matt What's your usual cruise line of choice? Norwegian Cruise Line has been making some significant changes to its upper management, changing around so much of its cruise experiences, hopefully for the better. 

1. I highly doubt the decor will be an issue. I haven't heard of this banning, but I'm sure if it's appropriate there shouldn't be any issue with it. It's worth a shot to bring a couple of magnets. They are easy to pack and take down if the cruise line asks you to do so. I love the idea of "making it stand out after a few drinks!"

2. My guess would be yes you can use magnetic hooks as long as they don't damage the walls in any way. Most cruise cabins are made of lots of metal!

3. I don't have a solid answer for this question, but I haven't heard of a USB plug that wasn't able to be used onboard a cruise ship. Is this a common thing? 

Norwegian Epic has some seriously awesome nightlife options and plenty of dining options to choose from too. Don't miss out on the Epic Plunge waterslide that ends in a pool!  

3Sisters, thank you for your feedback.

We will pack our magnets, hooks and USB plugs.

Recently, we have been sticking with Royal Caribbean. We booked this cruise for a friends trip.

I'll have to check out the Epic Plunge waterslide. I hadn't looked at that yet...

We know the Epic has mixed reviews, but we are really excited to see what Norwegian has to offer.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PaulB said:

@716Matt what do you mean when you state you personalise the doors after a few drinks? Is this a normal thing on cruises that you can decorate doors?

I just meant that few personalized door decorations would help make our room stand out, late at night, after utilizing the drink package.

• Haha 1

@716Matt I'm hopeful you will be able to make your door stand out. I would imagine as long as it isn't inappropriate, no one will say anything. You can't go wrong with Royal Caribbean, their itinerary selection is pretty endless and customer service is usually on-point. Will you be cruising on the new Icon of the Seas? The cruise line just released some of the all-new venues Icon of the Seas will feature.  I would imagine NCL is going to be pretty different than Royal Caribbean but you will surely have a great time in good company. 

Despite the mixed reviews, Norwegian Epic does have some fun bars onboard, one that's a 24/7 beer place called O'Sheehans and another Mattings Whiskey Bar with a huge selection of whiskeys if that's something you would be interested in. The Spice H2O lounge is an adult-only pool area that may be a hit for your group if you are traveling without underage guests. 

@716Matt I found updated information on some of the things that are banned while cruising with Norwegian Cruise Line. One of the things that were recently banned is fans. I think it's certainly a random and reasonably safe item, but maybe size was becoming an issue. Apparently, all types of fans are not permitted for NCL's entire fleet. Hopefully, you could bring a foldable, non-powered, manual fan in lieu of a battery-powered one to keep you cool if needed. 

@716Matt The pink flamingo is meant to symbolize your cabin is onboard for a good time. You can read this article for some insider details. https://www.cruisehive.com/pink-flamingo-meaning/89016

I brought a big flamingo float on one of my cruises prior to knowing this. Needless to say, I hope I wasn't portraying something like this by floating around the Caribbean on a flamingo. It made for a good photo prop anyhow, and it was a luxury to lounge on. Next time, I think I will save this float for a more private setting.