The Challenges to Building Icon of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Line is redefining mega-ship cruising, but making it happen comes with some challenges. Icon of the Seas is going to feature the largest waterpark at sea! Engineering this massive ship is not easy. Royal Caribbean recently shared the inside scoop on the progress and challenges of making Icon off the Seas ready for cruisers. Take a look at its recent progress.

It will be really appreciated knowing how all these massive water features along the constantly moving weight of thousands of people onboard the Icon, will be handled while ensuring the ship's buoyancy and stability.

Beyond the amusement, the  engineering and technical aspects in terms of safety are very interesting too.

• Like 2

You have to applaud the engineering aspect of it all, and as impressive as it seems to be, with the size and as @Ludwin Zavala previously mentioned maintaining the stability, however I do find it all to convenient. The whole idea of cruising is naturally to enjoy and entertain whilst being on board, but I personally enjoy the getting off various places and seeing different countries and sampling local entertainment.

@Ludwin Zavala I completely agree! The engineering behind creating these massive ships is incredible. I hope Icon of the Seas is thoroughly tested because it's truly the first of its caliber! Engineering is such a special art; it takes so much effort and brain power to ensure that the ship can safely cruise with 7,600 cruise guests onboard plus the crew! Icon of the Seas is going to be making some big waves pretty soon! It will have six water slides and seven pools, which surely is a great amount of water weight to carry.

@3Sisters I'm fascinated by engineering. It's such a noble art, and I look on in awe at the brains that goes behind it all, something I could never comprehend. I love looking at engineering feats from history too, with the thinking and the planning behind some of our past architecture and such things.

On behalf of engineers everywhere, this retired engineer would like to thank you all who appreciate the engineering efforts put forth. By design, we nearly always get it right, but when things fail, it can be a disaster.

I am certain that the Icon OTS stability has been thoroughly analyzed. Though, methinks on the maiden voyage, someone should organize the passengers on the top deck during sail away and have all 7600 run back and forth, rocking the ship to see if it turns over, like Captain Jack Sparrow was able to do in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean – At World’s End’. (Little secret – it won’t.)

• Like 1

@kefthecruiser I wouldn't even know where to begin in terms of working in that field so hats off to everyone who has the ability to do so! I think the pressures on engineers are pretty fierce because, as you said, you make one mistake and it could change the whole trajectory of a project. Cruise ship engineers working on such a big but intricate model are responsible for the functionality and safety of the ship and that's a lot of weight to bear! That little statement at the end made me laugh. I, too, am so sure that Icon of the Seas will only sail the waters when it is 100% safe and ready. I would imagine quadruple-checking everything is a must. 

Icon of the Seas will have some epic new venues onboard, including never-before-seen bars! One of those is a Dueling Pianos venue which will surely attract a big crowd. Another popular offering will be the coffee venue Rye and Bean, with traditional lattes to espresso martinis. I'm most excited about the Bubbles walk-up champagne bar. Bubbles will feature different types of adult beverages for convenient purchase in Central Park. 

Edited by 3Sisters

While I can appreciate everyone’s awe at the newly built slides on the Icon of the Seas I’m wondering why Allure of the Seas has NO water slides onboard & weather or not this is a deterrent to cruisers with kids who want as much activity as possible for their children. Is there enough kid-centered activity on the Allure to compensate for the lack of water slides? 

• Like 1

@TEXAS GAL That's a great question. I don't have children old enough for most of the waterslides so this isn't a deal breaker for me. I think for some families/cruise guests this is an exciting part of cruising, but immaculate waterslides aren't appreciated by all. The kid's clubs onboard all Royal Caribbean ships are way more important to me and my family than any waterslide experience. Icon of the Seas is going to have some amazing spaces onboard that have already attracted a crowd. From the neighborhoods to the intricate details for each stateroom category, Icon of the Seas is outdoing itself. Would you be interested to cruise onboard this ship? 

@kefthecruiser you definitely get my appreciation. Where would the world be without forward thinking people like yourself. I would love to know the planning and the thinking behind things. I've even read that everything designed has a reason behind it not just for aesthetics and to be I find that outstanding.