Fun Times Newsletter is Back!

Carnival Cruise Line is brining back its Fun Times newsletter! For those who haven't encountered it before, it comes in paper form and is delivered to guest's staterooms each evening. With all of the technology infiltrating the cruise experience, I'm looking forward to having the ability to physically hold and read something. It's a great read before going to bed and keeps guests "in the know" about daily activities onboard. Is anyone else excited for the Fun Times newsletter?

• Like 1

Good news! At home I’m bombarded with calls, texts, and emails. On a cruise I don’t want to be tied to a phone. On shore I may be at a beach, and not want to carry a $1000 IPhone around, so could easily take the page with schedules along. I can actually look at the entire day much quicker on paper than a phone anyway so it’s a time saver.

• Thanks 1

I am very pleased to see that John Heald is bringing back the fun times newspaper.  I just returned  from a cruise to the Panama canal and was very disappointed  I needed to use my phone for everything on board , including menus for dinner . That is the next thing that needs to be brought back . Menus at dinner time . Not everyone enjoys looking at a cell phone on vacation . 

• Thanks 2

@jimdouglas I absolutely feel you there! I actually love to just turn my phone on airplane mode while cruising, and strictly bring it in my bag for photo memories only. I agree it's a time saver too! It's about time CCL brought it back. 

@John T. Yes, thank you Carnival Cruise Line for listening to cruise guests! Do you think the Fun Times newsletter will change as it makes a comeback? 

@FJB Yes, sometimes it's nice to leave the phone behind. I find it almost liberating when I leave all technology behind for a few hours. 

@Sherry Bischof I absolutely dislike having to use my phone for a menu! I always request a physical menu; it's just not the same experience for me. I feel like I'm ordering takeout while I look at an online menu. Sometimes, if you as the dining staff, they will provide you with a physical paper menu. It's certainly better than nothing! Did you ask the main dining room staff if they could provide you with a tangible dining menu?

• 3 weeks later...

@KeithG Maybe there is a shortage. I'm noticing random shortages everywhere, like eggs. Easter is right around the corner and I found a funny meme that said, due to the cost of eggs we will be painting potatoes instead of dying eggs this year. I didn't think it was such a bad idea! I love the idea of giving guests the choice. Opting in or out of the newsletter during the web check-in could reduce waste and the overhead cost of production. Was this your first time cruising on Carnival Vista? 

@KeithG I have always been so curious about back-to-back cruising! How does that work exactly? Do you get to stay in your stateroom the entire time or do they make you switch staterooms? I think a huge perk would be if you could just stay on board when practically everyone has to get off. You would have the ship to yourself for a few hours! That's pretty VIP.

@Cruising CaribbeanIf you stay in the same cabin, you don't have to pack and move. If you switch cabins you pack and the stateroom crew will move your luggage to your new room. We stayed in the same cabin so no packing. 

2 days before the turn around we got a sealed envelope with a letter and 2 parper business card sized voyage cards I think the were called with the voyage number. It was like a 12 digit number. It told us to bring the cards, passports and our current sign and sail to the restaurant on deck 3 forward at 9:45 on turnaround day. We went there, they served refreshments (coffee, juice, etc))  plus danishes. There were maybe 50 people in there, I thought there would be more. They took our pictures again and gave us a new sign and sail card. 

We waited for everyone to get off the ship and by about 10:30 a customs offfice came to the restaurant, gave a quick look at our passport and we were released back into the ship. 

You they said we could get off the ship if we wanted, just print those little cards and our sign and sail cards. We chose not to as that was the whole point for us. 

We walked around a completely empty ship for a bit but actually people start getting on about 30 minutes after that so you are only alone for a short time. We did get better seats on the Lido. 

Overall, we loved it, very relaxing knowing you are staying on board.

@KeithG Carnival Cruise Line's third Excel-class ship, Carnival Jubilee, recently met another great milestone in its building progress. It just received the installation of its final large block. The ship is progressing so rapidly. It's amazing to see! The inaugural voyage switched from Southhampton to Galveston, TX in December 2023. I'm curious to see what the prices would be like for that sailing. It would be a joy to take part in that itinerary!

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

@Kendall James-Vargas I have been keeping up with Jubilee's progress and I am excited to see her appear in Galveston, although also sad that the Vista is leaving. I did look at some of the early sailings of Jubilee but a family obligation keeps me from it, luckily, because they are very expensive. I am thinking of it this way, the old saying, don't buy a new car the first year the model comes out can be modifified to don't sail on a cruise ship the inaugural sailing. Probably not true but that is my justification. 😁

We have a cruise booked on Jubilee next March to try out the mega ships. I really like the size and layout of Vista and Dream and not necessarily the, essentially, floating resort style of the bigger ships. We've been on Royal Caribbean also and  it seems less a ship and more a Vegas-style hotel. Nothing wrong with that, I just prefer the feeling of being on a ship.

• Thanks 1

@KeithG I think Carnival Vista was such a popular ship in Galveston. The ship had some great runs from Texas! Come November, I noticed that Carnival Vista will be homeporting in Port Canaveral, and I'm sure the Floridians are definitely excited about this.

I didn't realize the prices were so hefty! I guess it's because everyone is so excited about Carnival Jubilee. I'm right there with you in terms of feeling the cruise ship. I really enjoy the aspect of cruising through the water and enjoying all of the outdoor aspects onboard. The outdoor spaces are truly unmatched, and I don't enjoy it when the cruise ships are overly crowded. That's usually why, when I cruise on larger ships, I dine in the buffet at off times and walk a bit to find a dining table, preferably with a view or outdoors! If you dine early, like I usually do, I have found that you have more space to yourself and more table options.

I bet Carnival Jubilee is going to attract quite the crowd and the activities onboard must be endless. I'm sure you will have a great time onboard Jubilee next March. Are you booked during Spring Break?

@Kendall James-Vargas Yes, it is a Spring Break cruise in 2024. We did Spring Break in 2022. It was crazy crowded as I expect the 2024 cruise will be but we knew and know that ahead of time so it was expected. Along those lines it can sometimes be fun to have that kind of energy on the ship if it everyone has a good attitude plus its the only time some people can get away. 

@KeithG At least you have an idea of what to expect and the crowds associated with those dates. I agree that the "have a great time" atmosphere can be fun if you are looking to be social and enjoy all of the lively cruise guests onboard. Have you ever taken part in or seen the Quest nighttime entertainment? It's one of my favorite evening entertainment options Royal Caribbean offers, and it's the absolute best with the rowdy spring break crew! If you enjoy this sort of entertainment, I hope it's available to you on your Icon of the Seas itinerary in 2024. I would imagine the theatre venue will be packed to see the live game show in action. One of the main reasons I don't usually cruise during spring break time as an adult is because the prices go up! Off-season ends up begin significantly cheaper, but as you mentioned, it's when most people have the opportunity to get away. 

One thing I would like to add regarding fun times news letter or hard copy literature, in general...  

Just getting back from cruising on the Carnival Dream Cruise on March 25th, I liked having a printed copy of everything that was going on?  The Hub app did not work correctly for us most of the time?  I didn't like having to search through everything when it did work.  I like to have a copy to make notes on and highlight events we're interested in.  Plus, I don't want to use my phone to keep up with things going on?

I brought along a dive watch I have in case I needed it, and I'm glad I did!  It is a Luminox Seal watch with glow in the dark face and it has manual hands, instead of digital or smart watches.  It stayed on ship time the entire trip, therefore, eliminating any confusion when traveling to different time zones and having to wait for a phone to update?  

Very handy to have for that and it would serve well in the possibility that the power or lights went off.

@Todd I'm so glad you were able to get your hands on a Fun Times newsletter! That's such a bummer that the app didn't work the entire time while you were onboard your recent Carnival Dream cruise. This is yet another reason why having the Fun Times newsletter back is so exciting! Honestly, it's just convenient to have options whether you choose to use the app when you have your phone on you in hopes that it works or bring along a Fun Times hard copy to browse at your leisure. I remember when cruise lines use to supply pens in each stateroom to mark up the newsletters! Now I always find myself asking for a pen or bringing my own because the room usually doesn't have one.