Entertainment Reservations.

It is unfortunate that the opportunity to enjoy the offerings on a cruise can be tied to economics. Each individual reserves often on what they can afford and usually choose vacations on their port locations and the best bang for their buck. That's why the INCLUDED options can help make a choice. Hopefully Norwegian won't go the route of Disney where loyal guests are edged out of popular choices due to their ability to pay for higher end accommodations and/or frequent traveling. How elitist will even the simple joys in life become? 

• Thanks 2

@exit63nj It can be unfortunate, but it's quite a true statement for most industries. Just because you have a limited budget, doesn't mean that you can't have a wonderful cruise experience. I agree that identifying the included amenities is a great way to review and assess the overall cost and experience of any cruise itinerary.  Could you expand on how Disney Cruise Line has edged out some of its popular choices? Disney Cruise Line is already very expensive as it is!

What is your preferred cruise line? I'm always on the hunt for a good sailing price. It's the only way I can squeeze annual cruises into my budget.

@exit63nj I found some information about what you are referring to. https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-begins-pre-cruise-entertainment-reservations/94040

I also noticed that Platinum guests get the first pick to reserve the entertainment shows. That's truly such a shame. I don't think we are the only ones that feel this way.

Not all cruise guests, especially first timers, are going to know about this change and may miss out on the entertainment completely. I would imagine the entertainment shows will basically book up fully prior to embarkation. I'm so accustomed to reserving the entertainment shows once on board; I don't think many guests are going to appreciate this change.

• 4 weeks later...

@CaptAng It is a good perk, but you definitely have to be proactive in booking the cruise and the entertainment options. Based on your experience, do you think there is enough space for everyone to pre-book entertainment? Or do you think some guests won't have the opportunity to experience entertainment onboard? Also, are there assigned seats for the onboard entertainment? I'm so used to just booking once onboard, I'm very intrigued by how this process is going to be received amongst all of NCL's cruise guests with different loyalty statuses.

• 1 month later...

@CaptAng Thanks for the update! I was really curious if this reservation structure would be a hit or a bust. It seems like it may require more patience if you pursue the standby line, but with a positive attitude and possibly a drink in hand it could be alright. Were you able to enjoy the shows every evening onboard? 

Can’t say I’ve ever been on a cruise where reservations are required for onboard entertainment. That’s insanity. How will I know 125 days out if I want to see a comedian after a long day ashore or sitting at the bar drinking all day or after a 5 course meal and a bottle of wine? Some things are spontaneous for me. 

@FJB I don't like the idea of entertainment reservations onboard a cruise ship either. I love the non-stressed idea of not having to really book anything in advance if I don't want to and have the liberty to choose if I go to an evening show or not based on how I feel at that moment. It's really a nice thing about cruising, not having to stress about rushing to a dinner reservation or feeling pressured to do anything other than what I feel like at the moment. It's a very relaxing vacation that way. Thankfully I think Norwegian Cruise Line is the only line enforcing that as of now. It's probably due to all of the cutbacks

• Like 1

Unfortunately it seems to be the norm and it's such a shame that not everyone can have a fair chance to reserve first unless they are paying more. Not everyone has the capital to add more to their monies spent. But then again, it shouldn't stop them having a wonderful time without added pressure to spend.

I feel similarly to you. I understand that everyone deserves the opportunity to get loyalty perks and earn them based on their commitment to the cruise line, but I'm so used to entertainment options being available to all cruise passengers. It's really like a normal amenity, and it isn't anything out of the ordinary to be used as a loyalty perk. I don't understand the logic behind it, and I think taking away this opportunity from new cruise guests could be pretty dismaying. Why cruise with NCL if you aren't going to have access to the basic entertainment options that every other cruise line will offer you? 

• Like 1