Cruise Hive Boards

No smoking in Mexico?!

P.Stokes

@P.Stokes I'm surprised by this law as well. It is certainly extreme to completely ban smoking all all public areas, but I do see the logic behind it. Smoking cause does more harm than good for individual health and pollutes the environment. Are you personally affected by this prohibiting law?

@FJB I also agree that Mexico has "bigger fish to fry." There are plenty of other areas that could use attention instead. Either way, I commend Mexico for setting one of the globe's strictest anti-smoking laws. If anything this will only benefit the country in the long run. 

Here are some tips when traveling to Mexico.

https://www.cruisehive.com/category/cruise-port-tips/mexico

• 1 month later...

I'm also surprised to read this new law. Don't mean to sound ignorant as I don't know much in regards to Mexican law but I also believed that they have bigger things to deal with. But then again, a small change to things freshens things up and sets the correct protocol 

I also don't know too much about Mexican law because I don't live there. I'm certainly more familiar with all of the laws and news in my local area. My husband used to work for a local initiative called Tobacco Free Florida, and we both became very educated on the harms of tobacco. Mexico is not the only area that is leaning towards a more progressive approach to health. For those that smoke, I could see how this regulation could be frustrating but I do see benefits for the area including improved air quality to lessened littering and debris in the streets. @P.Stokes

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

They've been campaigning against smoking for years as we all know about passive smoking and even though I'm not a smoker and believe it's great you can go into a public place without smelling of smoke and inhaling other people's smoke. I don't tend to mind if people smoke outside for that reason but I can see why banning it would help improve air quality. Where can people go if they want or need something to smoke? Some people may need that fix there and then and find themselves needing to go some place to get that 

@LukeJYes secondhand smoke can oftentimes be worse because it isn't coming from the filtered end. Thirdhand smoke is also another hazardous way to be exposed, and many people don't even realize this! It most certainly could be both a health-focused and environmentally-focused initiative. I wonder if you could smoke in the smoking section onboard even while docked in Mexico. I bet you can still smoke onboard the cruise ship. I'm also not sure if you could use an e-cigarette. That's technically not "smoking" and you can get that fix with a vape.

@LukeJ I don't smoke so I don't know too many specifics, but I do know that vape pens are usually used with tobacco and have nicotine inside just like a cigarette would without releasing "smoke." Cigarettes usually have other harmful chemicals added. Vaping can be addictive and it can also be used for many different substances. I do think that the use of an e-cigarette or vape could release harmful toxins. I do, however, believe that secondhand toxicity is significantly less than that of a traditional cigarette.