Cruise Hive Boards

Rescued refugees

Danae

We also picked up some refugees off the coast of Cuba back on December 19 on the Caribbean Princess. I haven't seen it reported anywhere, but I saw about the one on symphony of the seas and on the carnival sunrise. I have pictures and video but I'm not sure how to attach them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Danae I would love for you to share the photos and videos you have. What an incredible experience to be able to witness this.

@PaulB Yes, I don't think everyone has the same onion about this topic. I certainly believe in the importance of assisting refugees, but it does impede on the cruise vacation experience to some degree. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm "sailing" through the cruise boards this morning and was thinking about comedy at sea! I love to watch a good standup comedian. Onboard Carnival Cruise Line, I have experienced some comedy shows. Not all cruise lines offer a comedy experience. Have you ever experienced a comedy show onboard a ship before? 

Carnival Cruise Line was actually the first cruise line to offer a comedy competition at sea. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-to-feature-first-ever-comedy-competition-show-at-sea/32300

@LukeJ Comedy at sea is wonderful! Some cruise ships actually feature a comedy club onboard. Carnival Cruise Line offers the Punchliner comedy club throughout its fleet, and even Disney Cruise Line offers some comedy content geared towards families. Royal Caribbean ships also have comedy shows but every ship has a different offering. Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas have Comedy Live, but the club provides an adult only experience.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-activities/comedy-club

Where some ships have celebrity chefs on board, which sometimes sells the ship knowing you're going to be dining at a restaurant on board that has a celebrity chef at the helm, I wonder if it could be true with celebrity comedians? Are there ships that would have big names on board?

• Like 1

@LukeJ This certainly could be true! Celebrity chefs are definitely a motivator for those who have a pallet for good cuisine. I got very excited to find that Emeril Lagasse has become Carnival Cruise Line's Chief Culinary Officer. I can't wait to see how some of the cruise line's menus evolve to feature his exquisite culinary talents. 

A celebrity comedian could be a huge selling point for me! In the past, Jay Leno has actually performed onboard two different Carnival Cruise Line ships. I do think that most major comedians choose to tour on land, but the combination of comedy and cruising is a match made a heaven for me.

Improv at sea is another popular addition to the comedy cruise culture. I love the uniqueness of improv because it makes each experience different than the next. Princess Cruises seems to have some great comedy focused cruise options lately. The line's comedy themed cruises feature all sorts of laughter at sea from comedy trivia and movies to themed sitcoms and game shows. https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/special-events/

The cost of seeing a comedian live nowadays has truly gone up! I guess all entertainers are trying to recover from the losses in previous years. Having a specialty comedian onboard would likely be more cost effective and convenient. One of the joys of cruising is the proximity of everything onboard. I absolutely love being able to walk to everything on the ship, without having to get in the car and drive. It's such a relaxing feeling to know everything is only 5 minutes away. No GPS needed or car traffic to contend with.

I also enjoy having all of the food options so close at hand. The food service is always amazing and the food is ready at such a quick pace! Cruising is one of the most worry-free vacations anyone could experience. 

Do you agree @Danae?

Edited by 3Sisters

What are some of your favorite comedians? Comedy is usually my preferred form of entertainment, but cruise lines go above and beyond to entertain guests.

Virgin Voyages just announced it will be sailing a one-time Jennifer Lopez themed cruise of of Port Miami! The itinerary will be a "Limitless" experience celebrating women through her organization, Limitless Labs. Jennifer Lopez is actually the godmother for the Virgin Voyages. I love her music and her stage presence is particularly amazing! This is just one of the many specialty experiences that cruise lines offer to treat guests! What is one special guest you would enjoy seeing onboard a cruise ship?

• 1 month later...

@LukeJ I haven't heard of either of these comedians so I'm certainly going to explore more about them. I always enjoy a good laugh! Comedians are not cheap, but it's not easy to be a good comedian and a good performer. It takes some serious skill. MSC Cruises' new ship, MSC World America will have a comedy club onboard, and I'm wondering if it will attract any big names.