Cruise Hive Boards

New Bahamas Cruise Port

Nassau is revamping their cruise port. Not sure that will make that port any more attractive for us - Nassau is not a place we need to stop - always too many ships and people there.  I guess we will have to go to Calypso Cove at least once. 

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...

I just lost my taste for a port of call anywhere in the Bahamas! Cruise lines have committed to spend more than $1 billion to upgrade facilities. Add to that the visitors per day are scheduled to rise by 50%. And yet the Bahamian government wants to increase taxes to visitors. Talk about killing the goose that lays the daily "Golden Egg." Cruisers are sick and tired of getting nickled and dimed to death by port officials bleeding travelers. I WON'T CONTRIBUTE ANOTHER CENT TO THIS GRAB.

Edited by Tootie
  • Thanks 1

@Tootie Do you think that these millions of dollars in upgrades would entice you to try again? Based on your comment, I believe you are pretty "done" with all things the Bahamas. 

So yes, the Bahamian government does plan to increase taxes, and this will apply to all visitors, but this is not uncommon. In fact, many other well-traveled destinations around the world have high, established taxation. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/bahamas-plans-new-increased-taxes-for-cruise-guests/103191

Do I agree? I don't particularly agree, but I see the logic. The taxation is going to help the Bahamian government recover its grand expenditures that will make the area that much more desirable to guests. The more money that comes into the area via visitors, the better the government can hopefully help out its native residents. This increase in passenger departure tax is going to increase the cost of cruising to this area, but I don't think that this will stop anyone from visiting. Everywhere is still trying to recover from losses during the pandemic. At least this taxation will come with newer facilities and better benefits to guests, potentially making it all worth it for cruisers in the long run.

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

Why add extra tax. It's all greed and takes advantage of the hard working customers onboard. Cruising isn't a cheap vacation at the best of times, and added costs can help make your heart drop slightly. It seems that they may obviously make extra money on the increased charge tax but overall will lose custom.

In a way I see your point, that extra taxation comes from a "greedy" perspective, but on the other hand I see the added value for the local people. This of course is objective and depends on how much of this taxation will actually go into bettering the standards and systems for its native residents versus pouring all of this income into better options for tourists. It can be intimidating to purchase anything in the Bahamas now due to the extra tax guests will need to pay. Prices are always inflated for travelers anyways so this heightened-cost perspective is not uncommon. I'm not sure about the taxation on MSC Cruises' private island, but I would imagine it may be able to dodge these additional taxation laws since it basically governs itself. 

@3Sisters I see your point, and that's a big tick if and I mean if the monies goes back into the local economy rather than the top speck. Overall i do believe it will have an impact in the long run because guests and holidaymakers could be put off by this extra taxation. 

I'm not quite sure if the local government will give back to its locals by providing certain enhanced spaces (other than the port area/tourist traps) and community services. From having had a brief tour of the area, I have noticed many of the local students go to private schools in the region, but for the most part, the Bahamas is still a developing country. The political climate is steady and locals do have access to secure healthcare and technology, although this area is still considered third world. The residents and natives of the area would still benefit from enhanced opportunities and services, and this taxation would hopefully assist with the development of the country. If anything, these extra taxes would enhance the spaces for tourists which will bring in lots of dollars to the area. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see it! I've been to the Bahamas at least 4 or 5 times. If not for the fact all of them began in Key West, I would be done. Even with KW, I grow increasingly ready to give up anythiing going to the Bahamas. Frankly, there's not much I really enjoy  there. Increasing taxes strikes me about the same as increasing tips on the ship. I've relished the many, many ports the wife and I traveled to and we use those brief stays to help decide what places we want to return to for a week or two. Almost all rate more highly than the Bahamas.

• Like 1

@Tootie I agree that the Bahamas can feel more like a tourist trap than an area of wonder. Key West, on the other hand, has so much to do and see with tons of culture intermixed throughout. The increasing ship gratuities feel totally different to me. I feel like the increased ship gratuities are important, this is assuming they are going to actually go to the cruise crew. If the additional gratuities aren't going to be directly given to the onboard staff, I would feel very differently about this increase. I do prefer many other Caribbean cruise ports over the Bahamas, but there are plenty of other options to choose from! 

Edited by Cruising Caribbean

• 2 weeks later...

@Cruising Caribbean that's a shame when you say it's more of a tourist trap. I've never been there myself if I'm honest, but the thought of going to the Bahamas sounds majestical to anyone who hears it. Bit disappointing if you big it up enough in your mind and doesn't appear like that image true to life. And especially with the extra tax thrown in for the mix.

It's definitely disappointing when the tranquility and beauty of a gem of an area turns into an overly crowded, tourist trap. This does happen oftentimes when an area starts to get such a visitor demand that it develops to look less like a specialty native island and more like any other modernized Caribbean port of call. You can still find lots of natural beauty in the Bahamas, but. it's surely outside of the port, just like many other ports today.

@SpaceCowboy9 The amphitheater sounds very walkable from where the ships are docked! I'm glad you are excited about this Bahama upgrade. I know many cruisers wish it would just be left alone, especially if the taxes are going to continue to skyrocket like they already have. Thanks for the article! 

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm just now reading the details on the increase in taxes to the Bahamas (now going into effect Jan 1 '24 unless pushed back again) - a 67% increase!  Imagine what we would all be saying if cruise fares increased 67%.  The new tax, $30+, is twice the amount it takes to get into the average National Park, and I hesitate paying THOSE fees for the few parks I have visited.   Like any fee, tax, fare that I pay - prove to me what I'm getting for said cost is worth it and I will gladly pay it.  But in this case, I seriously have to reconsider.  I've never been a fan of Bahamas cruise stops, other than Coco Cay, and that was before it was redeveloped by RCCL - haven't been since it was rebranded "A Perfect day at Coco Cay".  We used to chose Celebrity itineraries solely if it stopped at Coco Cay when it was a very laid back day-at-the-beach atmosphere.  It doesn't interest us as much now with all the latest and greatest "amenities".   

So back to the tax, we are now paying $30+($60 for 2 of us) for amenities we won't use if we choose to stay on the ship.  That's like going to the Grand Canyon National Park and paying $35 per vehicle and never getting out of your car.  I would never do that.  Now as I'm typing this and thinking about it a bit more, I guess if I do stop in Nassau in the future, I will at least get of the ship and maybe throw a piece of rubbage(brought from home or the ship) or a holy pair of underwear in a trash bin just to feel like I got something for my $30.  

As you look at the taxes you pay for an average 7 day cruise, it can be 25-50% of the actual cruise fare.  That is insane!  Most taxes are evil, going to corrupt politicians and their pork projects that don't benefit the average citizen, whether here in the US or other countries.   I guess I need to do a better job of fighting back with my wallet and vacation decisions.  

End of rant.

• Like 2

@FJB I see your point here. The Bahamas tax increase is significant, but I don't think it's going to stop tourism. Most people cruising for the first or second time just assume the fees without question. It's just assumed the cruise will be a costly experience and all the fees and taxes are presumably a norm for the industry. I have never been a huge fan of Nassau, although I will actually be cruising there next week. Thankfully I will be there before this increase. I don't intend to do any sort of exclusion, and I just realized that Atlantis is ridiculously expensive for a day pass! I will not be stopping at Atlantis this time around. I will be excited to see much of the transformation the port has undergone, but you won't catch me wasting my money at the portside shops in the Bahamas. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@FJB I see your point here. The Bahamas tax increase is significant, but I don't think it's going to stop tourism. Most people cruising for the first or second time just assume the fees without question. It's just assumed the cruise will be a costly experience and all the fees and taxes are presumably a norm for the industry. I have never been a huge fan of Nassau, although I will actually be cruising there next week. Thankfully I will be there before this increase. I don't intend to do any sort of exclusion, and I just realized that Atlantis is ridiculously expensive for a day pass! I will not be stopping at Atlantis this time around. I will be excited to see much of the transformation the port has undergone, but you won't catch me wasting my money at the portside shops in the Bahamas. 

What ship are you sailing on next week? Hopefully hurricanes stay out of your way!