Best time to cruise

@dad004 I have found that cruising off season is significantly cheaper. Season could depend on the embarkation/disembark region and/or areas visited. Since I have children in school, I usually have to look at dates that fall within that schedule. It seems significantly more expensive to book during those off-school times, such as summer, vs all other times of the year. Where do you intend to embark/disembark? When school is out, the prices are usually higher.  

Of course it depends on where you are sailing to determine the cheapest timeframe. Historically, the cheapest prices are for cruises departing during the 2 week period after thanksgiving. The best deal we ever received for a cruise was a transatlantic departing from Barcelona the Saturday after Thanksgiving. 

• Like 1

@FJB Wow, Barcelona must have been such a scenic place to cruise out of. Was that your first time embarking from Barcelona? I would love to embark from a European cruise port. Since I don't live in Europe the airfare out there is a bit costly, but I have looked into some MSC itineraries from that region that seem very reasonably priced.

9 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@FJB Wow, Barcelona must have been such a scenic place to cruise out of. Was that your first time embarking from Barcelona? I would love to embark from a European cruise port. Since I don't live in Europe the airfare out there is a bit costly, but I have looked into some MSC itineraries from that region that seem very reasonably priced.

The transatlantic cruise was the first time embarking from Barcelona. Since that time we have embarked one other time from Barcelona for a Mediterranean cruise. Barcelona is a great city! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@FJB It sounds like you are a repeat customer to the area already! My goal is to save up to go on a Mediterranean cruise. What cruise line did you go with? What ports did you visit? I particularly want to cruise to Greece. 

We sailed on Celebrity both times out of Barcelona. The port stops on our Med cruise was Rome, Naples, Turkey, 3 Greek ports - Athens, Santorini, & Mykonos, and Valletta Malta. It was one of the best cruises we’ve ever done - hope you get to enjoy one soon. 

Here are our pics if you care to look - https://flic.kr/s/aHsjCdSru9

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 3Sisters said:

@FJBWow, those are some great photos! Out of all of the ports you visited on your Mediterranean cruise, which one was your favorite and why?

Santorini because of the views. We would go back there to vacation for 4 or 5 days if the opportunity presents itself. 

Rome was also great but only because we spent about 24 hours there to see more. We got off the ship in Civitavecchia and took the train into Rome. Spent the night in a hotel in Rome and then caught the train midday the next day to Naples to get back on the ship. 

3rd choice would be Athens because of the history. 

It was overall a fabulous cruise! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@FJB I'm taking notes! I bet the food in Santorini was amazing. Hopefully you were able to dine off-ship during your time there. One of my favorite parts of cruising is the convenience to all of the amenities. Kudos to you for going to extra mile to explore Rome. It seems like it was well worth it!

Edited by 3Sisters

4 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@FJB I'm taking notes! I bet the food in Santorini was amazing. Hopefully you were able to dine off-ship during your time there. One of my favorite parts of cruising is the convenience to all of the amenities. Kudos to you for going to extra mile to explore Rome. It seems like it was well worth it!

We make a point to enjoy the local cuisine - pizza in Italy, Greek yogurt, real gyros. And of course a local red wine! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@FJB If you are cruising all the way there, you might as well! I didn't even think about Greek yogurt! Its the only kind I eat in my house. I for sure want to try some in its region of origin. Do they serve it in parfait style with fruit and granola like what I am accustomed to in the U.S.?

Almost. Honey and raisins. 

73DC3078-9DD3-48C2-A2AA-000E980D9CE7.jpeg

• Like 2