Crew members privileges

I think it’s terrible that Norwegian is taking away those crew members privileges. The crews on their ships are incredible!! They are always smiling, polite, fun, helpful and the list goes on and on! It’s not right that they can’t enjoy the ship that they serve on their limited own time!  Norwegian you need to make this right!!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to believe that Norwegian would remove the crew privileges without providing comparable other privileges.  I have never noticed staff preventing us from access to any venue by being there.  For me, part of the cruise experience is being able to talk with people from other countries without taking time away from their jobs.  I hope there will be enough posts on the subject to convince Norwegian that they are making a mistake.

Monique, I agree.  As a former Naval Officer, I enjoy seeing and conversing with the Junior Officers and crew.  I'll be on an NCR Cruise again for NYE and then see if I notice any difference in the amount of interaction I can have enjoy with the crew both JOs and crew. 

I am very disappointed in NCL for treating it's staff this way. It is my favorite cruise line. I can't believe they think that this would benefit anyone (crew or customers) in a positive way. A happy crew is a hard working crew. Loyalty deserves to be rewarded or NCL will pay the price by losing good employees and loyal customers. I enjoy talking to the crew. They  make the experience. 

On 11/22/2022 at 6:29 AM, Monique said:

I think it’s terrible that Norwegian is taking away those crew members privileges.

So what "crew member privileges" are being restricted?  OP's post does not define this nor provide documentation of that assertion.

On 11/22/2022 at 4:59 PM, DeanneB said:

NCL "restrict[s] the staff to enjoy public areas even when they are off duty."

This is the only post that suggests what the restrictions are, but again no concrete evidence of that.

Lots of first time posters - I'm guessing all bots.  And anyway, paying customers should not have to compete with crew to utilize any of the facilities or services of the ship.  Pools, spas, food services are already too crowded most times.  They are there to work, not recreate.  On the Bermuda cruise I just left, crew were clearly given time to get off the ship for R&R, which is certainly reasonable.

On 11/27/2022 at 7:55 PM, HuliHuli said:

So what "crew member privileges" are being restricted?  OP's post does not define this nor provide documentation of that assertion.

This is the only post that suggests what the restrictions are, but again no concrete evidence of that.

Lots of first time posters - I'm guessing all bots.  And anyway, paying customers should not have to compete with crew to utilize any of the facilities or services of the ship.  Pools, spas, food services are already too crowded most times.  They are there to work, not recreate.  On the Bermuda cruise I just left, crew were clearly given time to get off the ship for R&R, which is certainly reasonable.

Hey @HuliHuli, No bots here! Just a growing boards, and new users coming. I know on Carnival, they allow some crew to enjoy the guest areas, but only at certain times when those areas are not so busy. The crew also have to allow guests to go ahead in front of them, when there is a line. Sea days are often a no go for the crew in guest areas, as the ship is usually busier. Would have been better for NCL to just add some limitations like that instead. I do think the crew deserve to enjoy the guest areas too, especially as they can't all go ashore so much. It's all about timing it right, so it doesn't put more strain on guest services.

@HuliHuliThis article mentions the privileges that can be enjoyed by the crew onboard and when they are off duty. https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-takes-away-popular-crew-member-privilege/88476  .  I think it is quite harsh and elitist.  Imagine working on the ship for 4-6 months and not even enjoying the ambiance, food, and entertainment of the workplace.   Only the higher-ranking officers can have the privilege. Seems toxic.  Is this working class segregation?

• 2 weeks later...

@Emrys It seems like many cruise lines are increasing their service charge!

@Monique It's such a bummer Norwegian Cruise Line is changing some of its crew members privileges. I personally love being able to connect with the staff, its one off the best parts of the cruising experience! Making a deeper connection with the staff helps me remember them for future cruises. I have recognized certain staff members by name on alternate ships and taken photographs with them. It also makes additional tipping breeze!