dining room charges for entries beyond 2 and elimination of 24-ice cream

Received new email from Carnival about another round of price increases to specialty dining areas and the elimination of entries beyond 2 in main dining rooms as well as nixing the 24-hour ice cream.  Called Carnival and they referenced section H that they can eliminate this and more if needed and even charge a surcharge for the cruise at the gate - and I just paid in full on 4-state rooms for Jan-21, 2023.  This "sailing contract" has zero protective provisions for the customer and you cannot count on anything when booking a cruise...including the fact they even changed San Juan port as a cost saving measure already on Mardi Gras.  Seems every few days Carnival sends out emails removing yet another item we expected to be available.  

As far as the ice cream and yogurt goes, CCL would save money by having someone there to serve the ice cream.  I have been on multiple cruises where I have witnessed children being wasteful playing with the machines just watching it pour out and down the drain. Let alone the last cruise we were on CCL Magic was completely out of ice cream at 8:30pm on 2 different nights.  Was suppose to be available 24/7.

• Like 1

It's been awhile since I cruised with Carnival but i do remember there did seem to be a bit of wastage. Other cruise lines do it better with someone giving out the ice cream. As for the entrees, from what I've heard some guests were trying all the dishes without eating that much of them....that's ( in my opinion ) ridiculous. I'm all for trying another dish if it looks good and you can ask for just a half portion and Carnival are not stopping you doing that. It's  not like your going to starve but some people think that because they've paid for the cruise they are entitled to take as much food as they want and leave half of it on a plate. No wonder Carnival have said this. That said, I'm sad if its true you can't get a late night pizza anymore 

• Like 2

In my experience, on the first 2 days of the cruise, and on the embarkation day, people will be super hungry that they take everything and leave a lot of unfinished food.  I agree with the ice cream, I do not think we need it 24/7, or 4 entrees.  But late-night pizza is a must for cruises.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'd probably be okay with 2 entrees.  I'd be full for the main dish if I get all four.  Policing the ice cream would be a good idea too.  I hope they have frozen yogurt too in addition to ice-cream.  Such a waste of food.  Do they still staffing issues?  I wonder what is keeping them from hiring back and hiring more.  It looks like cruising is back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@KristineF I agree, four entrees would be pretty filling!

@wmrad007Although the 24 hour ice cream offering certainly has been a staple for Carnival Cruise Line, I would say it likely won't affect me cruising with them in the future. I understand the constant changes to your pre-planned vacation could be upsetting; however the fact that we are finally able to cruise again give me so much to look forward to. Hopefully all of these constant shifts help the cruise line get back to a state of normalcy, where guests can be confident in their consistency and choose to cruise again. 

• Thanks 1