Pre-purchase of alcohol

I am a frequent traveler on Carnival. I very much enjoy Carnival as my cruise line. And reading the reasoning for limiting or stopping this pre-purchase of a bottle for my cabin here are my feelings. Myself and my wife are very moderate consumers of alcohol. I have seen most disturbances over over intoxicated people coming from a younger set we are seniors over 60. I think stopping the sale presale of alcohol for guests does not solve the problem. I think better control of the walk around bartenders that sell to make money and tips should be looked at as a possible reasoning of over intoxication. And my opinion is that bartenders and those who serve the apparent over intoxicated people should not be served. I personally see this is a means of increasing bar revenues for Carnival

• Like 1

At first I was inclined to agree that this was a way to increase bar revenue, however, according to my TA, Carnival not only limits those that purchase Cheers to 15 drinks a day, but All passengers to 15 drinks a day. 
That being the case, I really think that they are trying to control over consumption . It has been a huge problem ( not all incidents make the news) .

1 hour ago, Cruisecrazy said:

At first I was inclined to agree that this was a way to increase bar revenue, however, according to my TA, Carnival not only limits those that purchase Cheers to 15 drinks a day, but All passengers to 15 drinks a day. 
That being the case, I really think that they are trying to control over consumption . It has been a huge problem ( not all incidents make the news) .

If one person consume 15 alcoholic drinks within a 24 hour period I'm pretty sure that they will be highly intoxicated. One pre ordered bottle ran between $85 - $ 115 and keep in mind that you could only order one bottle compared to a Cheers package that cost anywhere from your high $300 and above, depending on the length of your cruise. Also, the Cheers package runs over the period of your whole cruise while depending on how you drink, one bottle will only last for a few days depending on how much you drink. If you do the math the cruise line will be making more money from the sell of alcohol through selling Cheers packages and regular bar sells than by selling individual pre cruise bottles to the guest. So actually the winner is  Carnival Cruuse Line.

I had a cruise experience, though it isn't Carnival, where the passengers were fined for unpleasant behavior while intoxicated.  They drink inside their staterooms so the crew was not able to monitor just how much they had.  I think this might be the reason why Carnival has to remove the Pre-order of hard liquor.  Some people aren't really responsible and their behavior may affect other passengers.

I would be interested to see how this compares with other cruise lines.  Doing just a quick search of the liquor policies on some of the mainline cruise companies, I can't find any that allow pre-purchasing of liquor.  All of them forbid you from bringing on liquor (including liquor which has been the practice for years).  Only wine & champagne, limited to one bottle at 750ml is allowed, which is consistent again with Carnival.  Anything else bought (in port or in the onboard shops) is held until disembarkation and not allowed to be consumed.  So, it seems to me that Carnival's position is both the responsible thing to do to avoid incidents that affect the safety of the crew and other passengers, and is very comparable to industry standard.  In addition, it seems to "close the loophole" that pre-purchasing allowedd.  But, I could be wrong as I've only cruised Carnival.  I know that taking away something you used to have is frustrating.  But, sometimes, as @DeanneB has said, the actions of a few sometimes cause change to happen that is necessary.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 8:13 AM, Cynthia Powell said:

If one person consume 15 alcoholic drinks within a 24 hour period I'm pretty sure that they will be highly intoxicated. One pre ordered bottle ran between $85 - $ 115 and keep in mind that you could only order one bottle compared to a Cheers package that cost anywhere from your high $300 and above, depending on the length of your cruise. Also, the Cheers package runs over the period of your whole cruise while depending on how you drink, one bottle will only last for a few days depending on how much you drink. If you do the math the cruise line will be making more money from the sell of alcohol through selling Cheers packages and regular bar sells than by selling individual pre cruise bottles to the guest. So actually the winner is  Carnival Cruuse Line.

I am pissed too because this is my first cruise with Carnival and it is my milestone birthday so I wanted to order a bottle for them room and I heard about the change you cannot control nobody alcohol intake.When you go to the ports you don’t know what people drink so the people that do the right thing has to suffer just chastise the one’s doing wrong. I hope that is changed because it doesn’t make sense.Hopefully everything will go well but I am still sad that they making other cruisers pay for their behavior 

• Like 1

I think it is crazy you can still get beer and wine but not liquor. I didn't think if you had the liquor package you could get it for your room or vice-versa. I think if you can't get liquor you shouldn't get any of them just my thought why should liquor  people be punished and not the rest of the people who drink beer or wine just my thought.

23 hours ago, Suzanne SanAgustin said:

I think it is crazy you can still get beer and wine but not liquor. I didn't think if you had the liquor package you could get it for your room or vice-versa. I think if you can't get liquor you shouldn't get any of them just my thought why should liquor  people be punished and not the rest of the people who drink beer or wine just my thought.

I think it has something to do with the alcohol content of liquors per serving, in comparison to beers and wine.  Liquors will typically have higher, Vodka for example will have 40-45% maybe even higher and a light beer will be maybe 5%.  Wine will be at 11%.  It follows that someone who had 2-4 beers would still be sober.  Someone who is only taking hard liquors may not be sober after a few shots.

On 11/1/2022 at 2:27 PM, DeanneB said:

I think it has something to do with the alcohol content of liquors per serving, in comparison to beers and wine.  Liquors will typically have higher, Vodka for example will have 40-45% maybe even higher and a light beer will be maybe 5%.  Wine will be at 11%.  It follows that someone who had 2-4 beers would still be sober.  Someone who is only taking hard liquors may not be sober after a few shots.

Science guy here. Your thoughts are sound but your math is off. That liqour % is by volume. So those 3 to 4 beers by the volume of can will work out to about the exact same amount of alcohol as 3 to 4 shots, same as 3 to 4 regular glasses of wine. 

Your still right though as far as getting intoxicated. 1 liter of liquor has a lot more alcohol than a 6 pack of beers they would let you buy precruise

• 3 weeks later...

Carinvals cheers package is simply to make money under the pretense they are controllng the amount of drinks you can have. Carnval's reasoning for not allowng you to bring booze on board is they don't want guests to over drink. But they will let you over drink ,15 per day if you give them $120 per day if you have a spouse along, both have to purchase the Cheer pack. anyone who consumes 15 drinks in a 12 hr day, will be intoxicated, fall down drunk if they consume it one after another.  So it all comes down to money. Our last cruise to Mediterranean on Carinval Pride, we bought a bottle of Jack for $95, and now they stopped that, because they can make more on with Cheers, or just buying at the bar @ $12 per simple drink. We have been on 7 Carnival cruises and have sucessfully smuggled in a minimum of 5 fiths/ liquor every time. Why?  They charge to much to drink on the ship, simple.

markmmorel@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

@Mark Morel That is pretty impressive you were able to smuggle alcohol onboard. I have never had the confidence to do that, but it sounds like the cheers package isn't very efficient for you. That's a bummer they don't offer bottles for purchase anymore, the last time I cruised they still had that offering. Alcohol is certainly a huge money maker for the cruise industry. 

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas