Cruise Hive Boards

What do you think of the new LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) cruise ships?

The Sphere Class vessel will be the first in the Princess fleet to run on LNG.  They say this is the most environmentally friendly advanced fuel technology.  I absolutely love cruising and I often recommend cruising to friends. It does make me feel good that I am supporting a business that is becoming and evolving into a more environmentally responsible one.  What do you think?  I am getting excited!!

https://www.cruisehive.com/future-fuel-what-is-an-lng-powered-cruise-ship/77960

Edited by DeanneB

I thought Celebrity Millennium was the first LNG Cruise ship back in 2000 but upon further research it was GTS - gas turbine. 

Doesn’t really matter to me how the ship is powered - as long as it gets me from point A to B and back to A without being known as an infamous “poop cruise”.  

• Haha 1

Carnival Corp already has LNG ships operating, nothing unique here for Princess. There is no difference in passenger experience. LNG is a cleaner burning fuel, less polluting than oil, but they are both fossil fuels; which may be important to some. LNG is stored under pressure and there is a potential for accidental explosions. Hopefully the designers have mitigated this possibility and the crew is well trained in LNG safety. Having said all that, I've cruised on Mardi Gras, unconcerned about the fuel! I'll have more concern if / when they switch to hydrogen.

• Like 1

While Hydrogen is clean energy, I think they are saying hydrogen may not be a practical choice as fuel.  Hydrogen is not abundantly available, and storage and transport are also a problem.  We know that this is a good alternative but maybe the technology to use it on a larger scale is not here yet.

• DeanneB changed the title to What do you think of the new LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) cruise ships?
  • 1 month later...
On 8/19/2022 at 8:01 PM, DeanneB said:

It does make me feel good that I am supporting a business that is becoming and evolving into a more environmentally responsible one.

I really hope so..............lets not forget Princess Cruises were fined $40 million in 2017 for it's deliberate dumping of contaminated waste from one of it's vessels which they tried to cover up.

• Sad 1

Yeah, I read about it.  That is really disappointing.  Do you think all cruise lines and guilty of this? I think they are, it is just Princess who got caught, and rightfully so.  The courts should hit their pockets where it hurts.  Moving forward, I think this move to LNG is a positive change.  

• Like 1

The improvements are kind of slow.  It would seem like they took 2 steps forward and then one step back.  I read recently about a hydrogen car that has come to the Australian market.  Now, imagine when they use the same technology on ships.  That will be amazing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

LNG is cleaner burning and definitely reduces the pollution from the ships.

But it is not the perfect vehicle to power cruise ships.  As was stated it must be stored under pressure.  In most ports there are minimal if any facilities to fuel up the ships.  In Port Canaveral the Mardi Gras is refueled by barge with the LNG floated down from Gorgia.  In addition, the energy content of LNG is less than that of Diesel, so the range of the ship is shorter. 

• Thanks 2

@stevenr597 That's an interesting view. I agree that LNG-powered ships reduce pollution, which is why they are being designed this way, but I didn't realize that it's not as "perfect" as it may seem. I guess this power source is similar to that of an electric car, lasting for shorter distances and more difficult to find spots for fueling. Do you have another type of ship power you would think is a better alternative than LNG? 

19 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@stevenr597 That's an interesting view. I agree that LNG-powered ships reduce pollution, which is why they are being designed this way, but I didn't realize that it's not as "perfect" as it may seem. I guess this power source is similar to that of an electric car, lasting for shorter distances and more difficult to find spots for fueling. Do you have another type of ship power you would think is a better alternative than LNG? 

Every power source has its advantages and disadvantages.  I do not think that we will every see Lithium Ion powered cruise ships.  But what may be promising would be Hydrogen powering fuel cells which would generate electricity.  

• Thanks 2

@stevenr597 Actually, lithium-ion-powered cruise ships are becoming a thing! In fact, AIDA Cruises ship, AIDAperla has a 10,000kWh lithium-ion battery, and it's a pretty large ship. https://www.carnivalcorporation.com/news-releases/news-release-details/aidaperla-will-receive-largest-battery-storage-system-passenger 

I really hope that we will begin to see more lithium-ion-powered cruise ships in the future. That's an exciting way to power a ship, by Hydrogen powering fuel cells. The MSC Cruises-owned line, Explora Journeys is in the process of building some hydrogen-powered ships. It's all a great way to begin decarbonizing the industry. 

• 2 weeks later...

Explora Journeys has released details on its new multi-generational programming, and I couldn't be more excited. I have been very please with MSC Cruises' family programming so I have faith this luxury MSC-owned cruise line is going to provide exceptional family activities and spaces that will delight everyone. I'm impressed that this luxury cruise line is so family-focused, I have noticed many other luxury lines to be more adult-focused. 

Another huge perk of Explora Journeys is going to be the line offering free cruises for under 18 guests! This is one of MSC Cruises' biggest perks, and not its luxury line will be hosting an even bigger perk, extending the age range of children who can cruise for free. I love this branding and inclusive strategy the cruise line has. 

Explora Journeys' prices are a bit high, even for a child-cruise-free experience, but I must say the fleet is so lovely and thoughtfully designed. For those who enjoy a quality cruise experience, this cruise line is it. Just take a look at this article featuring the onboard Owner's Residence Suite. https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-line-unveils-3000-square-foot-owners-residence/101570

This is a 3,000-square-foot guest suite, with top-quality design elements, that are pretty much unbeatable. The Owner's Residence Suite just "wows" me. 

Edited by 3Sisters