Distilled water for CPAP

@Brenda Gail  Here is the link to Carnival's site which explains the way to do this.  To quote the relevant portion:

Carnival carries distilled water which can be purchased either pre-cruise or once on board. In order to ensure the ship has an adequate supply, please contact our Fun Shops department at 1-800-522-7648 (Ext. 70039), Monday through Friday, 9:00am-10:00pm ET and Saturday and Sunday, 9:00am-6:00pm ET.  For purchase on board, please contact Room Service. Should you wish to bring your own distilled water with you, it must be hand carried along with your CPAP machine. The cost for distilled water is $3.25 USD per gallon (plus an 18% delivery fee).

I just also saw a note from John Heald, CCL Brand Ambassador, which says the cost is $4.00 USD per gallon.  So, not sure the cost at this point. But, still seems very reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Brenda Gail I second what @RoadTravelled shared. I happen to think the cost of distilled water is pretty reasonable too. Bringing your own could be heavy and cumbersome. Possibly bringing one gallon onboard with your medical device could be worthwhile, but anything more than that would likely be too much to lug around. I would be sure to call the number listed in the comment above to ensure there is enough supply for you for the duration of your cruise. 

@RoadTravelled Thanks for sharing that! Out of curiosity, how many gallons would you foresee yourself needing for the duration of your cruise? I never thought about the need for gallons on water for medical devices, but I'm so happy cruise lines like CCL provide those services! I'm pretty impressed by the price too. I'm glad cruise lines aren't gouging for water for medical devices. What if cruise lines made guests buy cases of bottled water for their medical devices instead? That would be so costly and inconsiderate. I'm impressed by CCL!

• 5 weeks later...

I did buy a gallon of distilled water for 3.83 dollars. This is for at 7 nights cruise in the caribbien. I have an AirSense 10. I thknk a gallon is probably a little more that you actually need, but better to have a little more than less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey @Ronnyval! That's a very reasonable price and I'm glad the cruise ship had the water supply to offer you. The fact that you only needed the one gallon of water for a 7-night cruise is also promising. I expected to you to need more than that! I agree that it's better to have more than less. After having this good experience, would you plan to cruise again with CCL in the near future? How was your overall cruise experience? Did you enjoy the ship you cruised on?

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, Carnival is the only cruise line that charges for distilled water. You can buy a gallon at Walmart for $1. 

It's not the money,  it's the inconvenience of having to preorder the distilled water through disability services. 

My guess is that it costs Carnival $10 to process the request and charge your credit card including verification and employee time and tying up a phone 

It's also one more chore to do on Carnival that is a unique policy.

If 1% of passengers need distilled water, that means Carnival could raise fares by 1 cent and drop the individual passenger charge. 

There is also the issue of first time cruisers on Carnival not knowing about this policy and having to hope that Carnival has some extra distilled water available. 

• Thanks 1

@Stanley That's true. I wish you could just bring your own gallon on if you wanted to. I didn't realize that CCL was the only line that charges for this service. I would be upset if the line had to pay $10 to process that request. You aren't wrong in your mathematics, but I'm thinking the fee associated is strictly due to the fact that some guests may abuse that privilege. Some guests may order the water and drink it in their stateroom, and the cost associated helps ensure the persons ordering this service will be using it for a medical purpose. I don't this is distilled water service takes advantage of any guest onboard. It's a minimal cost for a necessary service. Yes, the price of zero would be better, but I still find the convenience fee of having it delivered straight to your stateroom well worth the extra dollar or so. 

6 hours ago, Stanley said:

As far as I know, Carnival is the only cruise line that charges for distilled water. You can buy a gallon at Walmart for $1. 

It's not the money,  it's the inconvenience of having to preorder the distilled water through disability services. 

My guess is that it costs Carnival $10 to process the request and charge your credit card including verification and employee time and tying up a phone 

It's also one more chore to do on Carnival that is a unique policy.

If 1% of passengers need distilled water, that means Carnival could raise fares by 1 cent and drop the individual passenger charge. 

There is also the issue of first time cruisers on Carnival not knowing about this policy and having to hope that Carnival has some extra distilled water available. 

@Stanley  Per my post earlier, you can bring your own onboard with you if you wish.  So, if  you want to pick up a gallon at Walmart you can, you just have to lug it onboard with all of your equipment and carry-on luggage.  You don't have to pay for it with Carnival.

But, it would seem to me much better to pre-order this for about $5.00 total and have it in your stateroom waiting for you rather than having to carry it onboard.  I don't see that as any inconvenience at all.  You can also just purchase it once onboard, subject to availability.  That's the issue here.  Remember ships are finite spaces.  They only have so much room.  They can't carry every single possible product and in the quantities that a pax might want.  They have to be judicious in their use of space.

So, either bring it onboard yourself or pre-purchase and you should be good.  Either way, it's cheap.  Part of cruising is planning ahead and knowing the rules no matter what cruise line you are on.

• Thanks 1

@RoadTravelled Thanks for sharing this! The fact that you can bring your own water onboard is huge! You have both options for both, and it's a courtesy service to have the water provided onboard. It's not a mandatory thing. I would rather pay the minimal service fee than have to carry around a jug of water. Sometimes it's a little overboard to scrutinize services like this @Stanley. It's an option if you so desire and not mandatory. I'm appreciative cruise lines are so accommodating! It's important they stay that way, and I hope guests how truly flexible/accessible most cruise lines are today.

• Like 1