Cruise Hive Boards

Port of Tampa hotel info needed for Celebrity cruises.

We are cruising out of Tampa on The Constellation for the first time and need input on the best hotels near the port as well as any waterfront restaurants that might be good. Thanks in advance for those that might have some experience with this.

• Like 1

As a Tampa area resident, here's my thoughts.

'Best' hotels near the port: Downtown is about a mile from the port and has a wide variety of hotel choices.Best can mean many things, but the hotel that stands out to me is the Marriott Water Street.There are many other options, both more $$$ and less.

Waterfront restaurants that might be good: This is probably more subjective that asking for the best hotel. The truly good waterfront restaurants are over on the Gulf, some 30 miles (by land) from Port of Tampa. Locally, I would consider Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City (a neighborhood next to the Port) or Bern's Steak House in SoHo (South Howard Street a neighborhood near downtown). Both Ybor and SoHo are nightlife districts with a plethora of eating / drinking establishments (get you ready for your cruise drink package). Both Columbia and Berns are highly rated, long time, well known Tampa restaurants; just not on any waterfront (well maybe when the street floods...). Or, you can just eat at the Marriott and view the ship channel and Harbor Island.

Cruise Hive has several excellent articles on Tampa you should review. Enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1

@kefthecruiser I'm glad you gave your insight as a local! Tampa can be pretty hard to navigate without some insider info. 

@Seaawgs Thanks for the trolley tip! I haven't actually ridden on it, but I have seen it in passing when I was downtown for a concert once. The Columbia Restaurant is really awesome and I highly recommend it too, particularly if you like Latin food. The Hampton Inn will be much cheaper than the lovely Marriott Water Street. The cost of hotel parking can be hefty there so beware!

@Loyal To Royal Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to navigate around there particularly due to the heavy traffic. There is lots to see and do in Tampa, and I hope you have extra time to explore! The Tampa Aquarium area has some nice places to dine and venture too right by the water. I have always felt safe and really enjoyed that district while visiting Tampa. 

Great info and much appreciated. I highly agree with your suggestion of Marriott Water Street as well. I see where it is super close to the terminal and rates seem pretty good. Trolley sounds interesting as well as Columbia and Berns for good eats!

@Loyal To Royal I wanted to add since you didn't mention your cruise dates. Please look into what is going on in downtown Tampa the weekends you embark and debark. The worst time will be January 25 - Gasparilla Day when pirates invade and 'takeover' downtown. Hundreds of thousands (this is not hyperbole) wanna-be pirates and spectators overrun the area. Either book your hotel and restaurant early or change your cruise dates. Seriously, it's that congested. Enjoy your Tampa visit.

https://gasparillapiratefest.com/

• Like 1

@kefthecruiser I have friends that love Gasparilla! I'm not much of a get dressed up person but that's a truly unique (and crowded) event in Tampa. Have you ever participated in the pirate festivities? Most of my friends that have gone go strictly for the fun and booze, but it's like the Floridian Mardi Gras. I haven't participated because I don't want to dress like a pirate but it's no doubt a good time. People that attend always end up going back for more the following day. @Loyal To Royal One thing about Tampa is the limited parking. Unless you taxi, just expect high daily parking rates for the most part. Parking at the port is always costly, but I'm not sure if you are planning to rent a car or not. It may save money if you skip it and opt to Uber around instead. 

@Cruising Caribbean Ahoy me mateys, a pirate's life for me. Haven't attended Gasparilla events in years. One could say, I aged out. Most spectators don't dress like pirates. The event has grown through the years; now there are 3 parades - children, invasion day and night. Night parade is definitely 'adult' & day parade can be rather rowdy (all are on different days). One could say Gasparilla Day has been hijacked by corporate sponsors. Let the drinking and carousing begin...

BTW - Just checked cruise ship parking at the port garage & it's $15.75 / day. 

• Haha 1

@kefthecruiser I bet you always get dropped by a friend/family member and don't have to park at the cruise terminal! I remember when I used to have family near Floridian cruise ports. Those were the good old days. Now I fly, rent a car and park it at the cruise terminal for extra hundreds of dollars per person. I think that $15.75 is pretty standard. Don't you? Cruise terminal parking is never cheap, but it's convenient to have that parking option. Leaving your car at a local hotel parking garage would be more like $25 per day. I guess you aren't participating in Gasparilla anymore. It has to be a shock to cruisers that sail out during that week. It's a if they landed on a shipwreck!