Cruise Hive Boards

DisneyBand+

@LukeJ I really think you have to love Disney to love the line. It's fun and unique, but if you don't appreciate the characters and the "magic" it can't be worth it. If the "magic" isn't even hitting right onboard like it wasn't for @Miss Lizzie, it can break the onboard experience. DCL is supposed to offer a particular fantasy experience, with unbeatable themed amenities, but when the service is poor, the line doesn't stand out anymore. I personally don't care about the characters, so the line doesn't stick out to me much. Even if it's for my kids, it's hard to me to justify the price.

@3Sisters very true, and very well put. If the magic isn't there, then they can't justify their prices. It's the same with everything in life I guess, if you enjoy a product, then you're happier to pay the prices, but if its below par, then you feel cheated and disappointed in it. So a company like Disney, if they are to charge their costs, then they better make sure the trip is awe inspiring, and be the best around. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I just don't get why the quality of service has declined on this ship. Maybe this ship needs a different crew. It seems they could be burnt out. That happy spirit may be fading away. It's intriguing how each ship really has its own culture. I have been on sister ships, basically the same ship, but the experiences were quite different due to the crews. Particularly in the MDR, when you have a fun and friendly/attentive dining crew it makes meals so much better! Sometimes I think the overworked, strict, and no-fun bosses can really dim the light of crew members. This is totally a possibility for this particular Disney ship. It's important to switch up staffing often to avoid cultural issues.

@3Sisters yes it's a hard situation. Cruise ships in particular need attentive staff, and happy staff really because that's what customers expect. However it's a very long day they are working, and they don't get much time off, so it's hard for a worker to keep having a positive mindset no matter how they try. We've all been there in work where you simply do not want to be there, and rather be some place else. I've experienced similar on the last cruise I went on, waited ages for a table at a restaurant, finally got in late and the staff literally ignored us. When a waiting staff came over, we were ignored for several minutes while he was on his tablet and rudely took my wife's and sons order and walked off, totally forgot about me. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I totally agree! I think that's why contracts on cruises are typically 12-18 months. You have to switch up crew member dynamics. Between romantic encounters and clashing counterparts, it's necessary to switch things up so that crew members don't get bored and they have to see more of the world! One perk of working on a ship, is getting to travel to places you wouldn't get to go to otherwise. Traveling isn't cheap and cruising can be even more costly. To do such a job, you have to have some incentives like travel, otherwise the job can get too mundane.

• Like 1

It makes sense that contracts are short, and as a business, you'd want fresh faces to keep that positive vibes going. However being in hospitality, I know how disheartened you can get after long shifts and the feeling of no satisfaction. I don't even think the pay is that well received onboard either I would have thought, unless you're a headliner act. To see parts of the world is a perk though 

@LukeJ Also some crews are just better than others! You have to work around positive people, and a bad seed can be toxic to a workplace. CCL has lots of fun onboard, it's like a constant party. This ambiance gets the crew members happily engaged instead of obligatorily engaged. Free wi-fi in ports of call for the crew is a big incentive. Also getting time off together with friends to spend time at the beaches or go to a party is huge for morale!

image.png.22fd652026288adea80d740fe8d627ad.png

Yes it s important that they have a break too, not just for morale, for sustance. The crew do work hard, and not always appreciated for their efforts. It must be really hard to work onboard as they are constantly on the go, and ready for continuous service. 

@LukeJ If you took on a cruise contract, which job would you prefer? I think I would like working in the shops. Their jobs seems super chill in comparison to the other positions onboard. I wouldn't mind working as a barista either. Some of the bartenders looks very stressed. It's super fast paced but looks fun. Bartenders may end up getting replaced with robots! Do you think that would really be a thing in the future? I have my doubts about a robot keeping up.

image.png.13c499d39501ce11a7a7ea2e8e4214ee.png

@3Sisters I worked previously as a chef, so there is no chance that I would work as one onboard a busy ship. I can't dance or sing, so that would rule me out. I agree that the bartenders tend to get a little stressed, and despite working behind the bar before, it wouldn't appeal to me again. I also used to be a photographer in the past so maybe something like that would suit me. I really hope that robots do not take over. It will spoil the whole personal experience for me. I really can't stand the fact that places like McDonalds have got you to order on those machines, and most supermarkets have now removed the tills for self service. I really hate that for two reasons: firstly the company is saving money so that they don't need to pay staff to do it, so people aren't needed and secondly, I've got a trolley full of shopping, and I don't want to get flustered by scanning them through myself because the machine decides not to play ball. 

• Haha 1

@LukeJ At least you know your talents! A chef onboard has to be so rough. I don't even think you get much liberty in the food either. If you don't have creative liberty, the art of culinary isn't so fun anymore. Culinary is fun when you can be creative and innovative. On cruises, it's pretty much the same day after day. That could get dull. Photography onboard is fun! I feel bad that the photographers often feel like solicitors. I don't know why they push the packages so much when they don't make commission of of it. It's not just photos, it can be more like sales! I have aa bone to pick with robots too. Self checkout is the worst. I have to do all the work myself! I have to take everything out of the cart and set it on the weighted scanner or it thinks I'm stealing, even the heavy items. I typically bring my kids with me to shop. Loading and unloading my cart for no reason prolongs everything, and it's the worst. I would rather wait in a long line and have someone do the work for me.

• Like 1

No, it would be hard just dishing up all the time for dinner. At least in the restaurants in the evening, there is a bit of freedom for you to be creative, but only slightly. I'm not really sure on the best job, even the workers in the shops look bored sometimes. I personally don't like that companies do not do any work anymore. To go on a cruise, we have to book it. Then we have to print out booking confirmation. Then we have to print out for the luggage. Then we have to print out for the car parking. Why am I doing their job for them? It may make things easier for them and save them money, but who's paying me for ink and paper?

• Like 1

@LukeJ Culinary is such a form of art! I wish I was more talented in the kitchen because I do enjoy cooking, alone. I typically cool meals for my family 3x a day everyday. The problem with this is that I'm not alone when I cook. It's always distracted and rushed cooking for me. I look for fast and easy meals versus taking my time to enjoy the art. 

To your second point, yes, we are saving companies money by doing the work ourselves. I don't mind doing this work if I can get a little discount off the top of my bill. Many restaurants make you process your own payment now a the table. They don't even bring the bill or say bye and thank you. There are a few restaurants now with robot servers that delivery your food. Have you seen that? I have been to a burger joint like this and I have to say, it's quite efficient. I bet in 30 years servers probably will be replaced by robots.

• Like 1

@Kendall James-Vargas depending on the restaurant, some take culinary art to the extreme. I always loved dressing the plate up, because I like things done properly and I'm a huge believer in people watching Ng with their eyes and taking pride in their work. However not everyone thinks like that and that's partly one of the reasons why I left the hospitality trade. When i started cheffing years back, every dish used to be presented to a good standard. We all used to take pride on this, and found it a compliment that people would keep coming back. Now, the food is bland, because todays chefs don't believe in seasoning and and adding flavour. They just slop food out onto a plate because they don't have the time to dress it. It's never controlled, and nowadays, I find a lot more complaints are made from customers.

@LukeJ I love when food is pretty! The problem I have with pretty food is the portion size. Typically, pretty food is bite sized, and that's not aa good enough portion for me. I want a portion that will fill my belly. I would rather have a full meal than a pretty baby meal that leaves me feeling hungry. I love flavors! It's important to use spices and condiments when you are a chef. I can make bland food myself. I agree guests complain all the time at restaurants, but sometimes with no good reason. My family used to own a restaurant, and people would steal napkins and silver wear almost everyday. It was a four star restaurant too! Some people just don't have good morals. I don't understand why you would steal salt shakers. If you were dining at this restaurant, you could very well afford nicer silver wear and salt shakers. 

• Like 1

@Kendall James-Vargas I do tend to agree with the portions. Some restaurants I worked at, I was shown to stack up not out which it did make it look beautiful, however as you said it was bitesized. Other places I worked at, the more the better. So it did vary at whichever kitchen you worked at. 

It's so sad isn't it, that people felt the need to steal things. I know how that feels, you work hard, and restaurants aren't easy to run, and to contend with customers like this, is simply frustrating. As you say, morals are gone in this world now.

Did you ever work there alongside your parents?

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ That's quite the strategy! Stacking up is supposed to look more appealing, but there is more plate than food. I can't stand paying a full meal price for a quarter of a meal. I don't necessarily need more, I just need filling. I get annoyed with fine dining when the food doesn't satisfy. The bill is high, but my belly isn't full when I'm done with the meal! I don't understand the petty things. If you are stealing, at least have some purpose to it. If you can afford fine china, why are you stealing crappy silver wear at a restaurant? I did work in the restaurant/hospitality world. It was a busy and fun atmosphere. I did everything from hosting large events in the banquet room to customer service in the gourmet restaurant/market. I enjoyed it a lot, but it was short lived. I had children, and moved on into my own line of work. I loved the business though.

• Like 1

@Kendall James-Vargas everything is all about presentation. We see it in the art world. Everyone is expressive in different ways. I love art but some artworks bewilders me. Same in restaurants. I do sometimes consider plating food as a piece of art, as this is what sells your dish. If I can make a dish look beautiful, we eat with our eyes and the first impression of that dish is a positive one. But then admittedly some dishes get delivered with hardly anything on there, other than surrounded by sauces and pureed ingredients. 

It was a fun environment to work in, and the people you work with is what makes it too.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ It's true. Presentation is key, but I want to be presented with a large plate of beautiful food. I find the food presentation to be lovely onboard and the portion sizes are right. Cruise lines know how to do it right. I also love that if I want to try two appetizers I can try multiple without having to pay extra. That's the luxurious life! If I'm on land, the food ticket would be quite high. I find going on an all inclusive cruise saves me so much more. Food costs are quite high now! I agree that the people you work with can make or break your life. Essentially you spend most of your waking hours at work! You want to surround yourself with good people.

The cruise lines do get the balance right. And I'm always satisfied at the end of the meal, in portion size and taste. Whenever we come back and explain to people how much the prices of drinks were, and they weren't as bad as I thought, they are shocked by our bill. But I explain that we possibly had a $100 meal every evening as well as the same throughout the day and didn't cost us anything, so I don't take humbridge to spending a several hundred on drinks for a week.

• Like 1

@LukeJ What was your favorite MDR meal you had onboard your last P&O cruise? Does the line make any specialty items onboard? That's a real analysis. For a three course meal, it's easily $100 per person in the dinner time. Some guests complain about the quality of food served by I find is just as good as any other mid-level/higher-level dining fare on land. I love the bread and butter before my meal. I'm a sucker for this. I always ask for the salted butter though. It'a a cultural thing to have unsalted butter, but it's not the same for me without salt! Do you prefer salted or unsalted butter?

I love anything with a meat based dish. The steaks, lamb and even duck and chicken dishes have been outstanding. I'm not really one for three courses because I always feel bloated and uncomfortable afterwards. However the sizes of the dishes have been perfect, allowing us to finish all three and continue with our evening. The fact that all three are included in the price is just incredible as well. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I also love a high protein meal, but I struggle with them occasionally on cruise ships. The best protein dishes I have had in the MDR are when I choose the earliest dinner seating time and get there as soon as doors open. I do not like when meats change when sitting under a heating lamp. Particularly seafood, gets very tough and/or dry if it's not served immediately after being cooked. I have found the appetizers onboard are truly appetizer sized, not filling you up too much pre dinner. I appreciate that so I can at least try one without feeling wasteful by not being able to finish my main. Typically, I opt out of dessert because I limit sugars and I'm full by that point in my meal. My kids, however, will slam an ice cream sundae every evening without a doubt. I'm glad you enjoyed some good quality meals on your last cruise! P&O Cruises knows what they are doing in the kitchen!

I understand what you're saying about meats being left out under the lights, however I found on P&O especially, there wasn't much problems with that. I guess the secret is, is not to put out so many at one go in order to prevent the meats to dry out. If it's in a sauce, then there is no worries, but limit the volume that you're putting out under the lights. I have a sweet tooth I'm afraid, and I do love a dessert, and I certainly enjoyed my time. In fact my wife even nicknames me two puds now. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ Lamb and duck are things I don't get everyday! I wish I knew how to cook these delicious meat at home. I get intimidated by these meats because I haven't cooked them before. I also didn't grow up eating them on a regular basis. I think cruise lines just start popping out meals on repeat and then servers just pull them off the line at their convenience. That's the glory of a simplified nightly menu. The sauce trick is a good one. The protein will stay soft and moist in a sauce. I'm laughing at your new nickname now! Your spouse can be your biggest support while keeping you grounded and humble at the same time.