Cruise Hive Boards

DisneyBand+

It's awkward when you really do not know what the weather is going to do and you have no clue on how to dress for the day. If it looks grey and wet out, obviously trousers and jumpers and coats are going on to cover yourself up. But then the weather decides to go the other way and you're baking in a sunny afternoon looking like an idiot in your three layers. And that works other way round too, and I've been caught out many many times, when shorts and t shirt on and the downpour that follows is a joke, and again you look like an idiot in your thin clothing.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ That's true. You really have to dress for certain weather patterns and climates. If you don't dress appropriately you will look silly. For instance, if you are taking a hiking excursion, don't show up with flip flops and a bathing suit. There are rimes when that attire is appropriate and other times when it is not. If you are booked on hiking tour, bring hiking shoes! When you are cruising, you have to made an educated guess and ask others for feedback. If you just assume, you may end up packing completely inappropriately. I forgot my tennis shoes onboard one cruise and I was so upset. As someone who enjoys exercising onboard, that was quite irritating to me. Shoes are a big thing. If you end up having to wear tennis shoes to a beach excursion, you could feel just as irritated! 

@Miss Lizzie How did those Disney bands end up working out for you?

You'd be surprised at how many people have done that. I used to spend some time hiking and the great outdoors, and the amount of people I've seen showing up in inappropriate footwear shocks me. Honestly people, think about the situation. 

@LukeJ I'm thinking of my mother in law. I will tell her we are going hiking and she shows up in cute platform shoes. I value that she has style, but she ends up getting blisters and feeling uncomfortable! In fact, I have great style too, but when it comes to doing something active outdoors, I have to be practical. I also want to keep a space pair of sneakers around for her once her feet begin to hurt. Having style is one thing, but you have to have comfort too! Sometimes I will wear heels to dinner onboard my cruise but I walk straight back to my stateroom afterwards to put on flats. The amount of people that choose stilettos now is really rare. More and more women are attracted to comfortable fashion. Uncomfortable fashion is short-lived. 

• Like 1

@3Sisters well fortunately I don't have that issue, and can't begin to understand the discomfort that women have with these type of shoes. They look totally uncomfortable from my point of view, and by watching the sights of relief on their faces when the pull the shoes off, I'm guessing they are not the best to wear. I appreciate the pain and the effort women go through to wear it in order to look good, and even though you all look good in a nice pair of heels, I think it's time to reel it in ladies, and live comfortable.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ Some girl-dominant shoes are so awfully uncomfortable! Fashion in general can get really uncomfortable for females, but it's better to just wear it for photos and change afterwards. I happen to love dressing up! That's one of the reasons cruising can be so fun. The opportunity to dress up in the evenings is awesome. I love taking photos and creating beautiful memories of my family, but the heels must come off after a couple of hours. The look of heels is so pretty, but they are mostly uncomfortable and unrealistic. The funny part is I love heels but my husband is shorter than me, so he prefers when I wear flats. I often wear them anyways because I don't care, but he does. I guess it's a perk of being with a shorter guy! No heels are needed!

@3Sisters as long as you look good and feel good in anything, then please continue. I always appreciate the time and the effort taken by people to look their best. Even if it's for a few hours or for photographs. I say men are always luckier as I could really get ready as quick as. Shower, and a suit and I'm ready for the door.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I agree that wearing what feels good is most important. In the past (particularly as a teen) I dressed to impress. I still love to dress up, but I have better boundaries now. Now it's more about cute comfortability. I don't want to dress down, but I just want to dress in stylish comfortability. I'm all about looking cute for photos, but I have to be sitting down or minimal standing efforts involved. An example is I went to Miami for a wedding and had to walk through a grassy/muddy park in heels. It was horrible I kept sliding and I did it all off the photos! If I knew that was the actual terrain, I would have worn flats no doubt. Even better, I would have worn tennis shoes out there during the ceremony. I'm not sure if the mud was expected by anyone but it was there, and it was gross! 

@3Sisters oh no what a situation. I can picture you trying to balance your way through the terrain and slipping. Maybe there is a photo of you looking like you're really enjoying yourself ha ha. I'm sure you looked beautiful.

• Haha 1

@LukeJ If it's an outdoor wedding in the woods I guess you can expect mixed terrain. Dirt mixed with rain is no good for heels. Heels in general will sink into the dirt as you walk making walking even harder than it already is. Walking in heels on cruise ships isn't the worst for a short time to take photos or go to dinner because it's flat and not dirty. I don't like walking in the dirt to begin with unless I'm wearing hiking boots. Thanks for the compliment. I did look nice despite the shoes. Thankfully I had a long dress that covered up my feet for the most part. I ended up changing my shoes by the time the reception happened. That was a huge blessing! 

Yes you did the correct thing there by changing shoes. Very wise of you. We've mentioned the difficulty in walking in high heels. My mother years ago would always catch her heels in a drain and get stuck. Don't ask me how but she would.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I feel bad for your mom! That's awful. Wedge style platforms are much better to walk in that the traditional heel. I wore very low wedges to church the other day and I hadn't worm them in so long the strap broke off mid church and I had to flop around wearing them until I got to the car. It was embarrassing. Another reason to opt out of wearing heels is if they break, there is basically no way to walk in them. I almost had to go barefoot! Heels are still popular today, but comfortable shoes are way more popular. Men have been wearing comfortable shoes now for a long while! It's about time women felt more confident to wear comfortable shoes too. 

Yes I agree. Men go for comfort and women go for style. So who are we to say anything about women wanting to put comfort first now. But in men's defence, we do love to see a woman in heels. You look beautiful in them and shows off your posture in them magnificently. 

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ Speaking of comfort and style, that's what Disney Cruise Line is going for with its DisneyBand+. You can customize your band now to make it super original; you can even add your name to it! The key about these bands is to purchase and link them to your cruise before your embarkation date. The DisneyBand+ is way better than the older Disney Oceaneer Band. I can't wait to hear about how it works onboard. 

• Like 1

Those bands do look good. We discussed on here before and said about the practicality is good but far better than what they had before. It looks sleek, modern and I'd wear one definitely. That's a good idea that they allow them to be customised, it's a big tick from me. I wonder whether other cruise lines will follow suit and do something similar.

On 6/28/2024 at 12:22 PM, Cruising Caribbean said:

@LukeJ Speaking of comfort and style, that's what Disney Cruise Line is going for with its DisneyBand+. You can customize your band now to make it super original; you can even add your name to it! The key about these bands is to purchase and link them to your cruise before your embarkation date. The DisneyBand+ is way better than the older Disney Oceaneer Band. I can't wait to hear about how it works onboard. 

Hello all, back from my Disney Cruise. 

The DisneyBand+ is not what it is cracked up to be. You have to take it off to purchase anything at a bar/lounge. They are very hard to put on so that was a pain. In the shops they can tap. Mine fell off several times and so did others in my party. Good thing I bought those band savers or they would of been lost. They didn't light up in the animators restaurant or fireworks, just off and on a few times. I got the ivory one and it is totally dirty now and not sure if it will be come clean. 

If you want them to just to have that is fine but not functional and just a expensive glorified room key.

Maybe on the Wish they have the technology to tap at the bars and lounges. 

Miss Lizzie 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

@Miss Lizzie Oh no, that's such a shame! I'm so surprised that the Disney+ Band wasn't all that great. I'm actually bummed about it too because it was really hyped up to be so much more and the quality looked great. I thought the idea of the band was to wear it 24/7 and not take it off! I would be so annoyed to have to take it off at all while onboard. The fact that it kept falling off is another huge issue. I thought the design was durable! Thanks for sharing your review on this. Based on your review I would totally retract my initial comments and say that the Disney+ Band is totally not worth it. Other than the band buzz kill, how was you cruise? Did you have a lovely wedding? Was it everything you dreamed of and more? 

Edited by Cruising Caribbean

22 minutes ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@Miss Lizzie Oh no, that's such a shame! I'm so surprised that the Disney+ Band wasn't all that great. I'm actually bummed about it too because it was really hyped up to be so much more and the quality looked great. I thought the idea of the band was to wear it 24/7 and not take it off! I would be so annoyed to have to take it off at all while onboard. The fact that it kept falling off is another huge issue. I thought the design was durable! Thanks for sharing your review on this. Based on your review I would totally retract my initial comments and say that the Disney+ Band is totally not worth it. Other than the band buzz kill, how was you cruise? Did you have a lovely wedding? Was it everything you dreamed of and more? 

The only 4 hours of the cruise that was worth it was the Fairytale Wedding. We had a great time. There are differences in what is stated in the wedding documents online than what you get. I was disappointed that you no longer get the knife and serving set. You get 2 cheaper made wine mugs. 

The cake was not all that good tasting, I would not pay for the update to orange almond. The cake was really pretty. The extra food was really good. The seafood tray, fruit and veggies trays were well worth it. 

Miss Lizzie 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Miss Lizzie I'm glad you at least had a good wedding onboard Disney Fantasy. I'm sad about the overall issues you expressed in your other thread. It doesn't make me ever want to cruise with Disney Fantasy. It's not right that DCL didn't notify you of those changes. I would have preferred the knife and serving set as a memoir, particularly considering it is better quality! That's good to know about the cake. Orange almond would have been my personal favorite, but I'm sure the up charge would have deterred me too. At least the extra food trays were good, considering you had other food complications while onboard Disney Fantasy. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2024 at 1:32 PM, 3Sisters said:

@Miss Lizzie I'm glad you at least had a good wedding onboard Disney Fantasy. I'm sad about the overall issues you expressed in your other thread. It doesn't make me ever want to cruise with Disney Fantasy. It's not right that DCL didn't notify you of those changes. I would have preferred the knife and serving set as a memoir, particularly considering it is better quality! That's good to know about the cake. Orange almond would have been my personal favorite, but I'm sure the up charge would have deterred me too. At least the extra food trays were good, considering you had other food complications while onboard Disney Fantasy. 

I had several conversations with Disney issues department and they are sending me an alternative serving set. This in no means changes my mind about Disney, I will not be sailing with them anymore. For the money I spent they are not worth it any longer, which I am sorry to say. The only thing they have other cruises don't are the Disney characters and seeing them is not worth the decline in service. I do really think the Disney Fantasy has the B or maybe C team. The best of Disney probably is on the Wish and Dream, probably soon to be on the Treasure. But that still should be no excuse for the bad service I received. 

I hope people will take this seriously. Disney service is not what it use to be and the Fantasy doesn't have the magic any longer. 

Miss Lizzie 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Miss Lizzie Thanks for the Disney band update. I'm so bummed to hear they weren't all that great. I thought they would be so much better than a glorified room key. I'm really surprised that DCL didn't meet your expectations this time around. It sounds like someone who has cruised with the line in the past should consider one of the newer ships like Disney Wish or Disney Treasure. I'm sad that Disney Fantasy didn't have the Disney magic like the line is known for. If the service was better do you think it would have been a better experience? I agree that the line charges a lot, and if the service isn't good, the characters aren't good enough to justify the price difference. 

image.thumb.png.4ff7502a5c77f8eee38c6ddee1b7bb1a.png

• 2 weeks later...

@Miss Lizzie Wow, I'm disappointed for you. I know this was a trip of a lifetime for you, for your wedding! I just wish it all worked out better. DCL is really supposed to have exceptional guest service. 

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/why-cruise-disney/disney-band-plus/

I really thought the Disney bands would have been better too. Based on the advertisements and all of the benefits offered, I didn't expect it to be just a glorified room key as you mentioned. They aren't a cheap device either!

Disney Treasure has officially floated out of the Myer Werft shipyard. The line has really hyped up this impressive ship! I hope the guest service is better than would you just experienced on Disney Fantasy. 

image.thumb.png.e0d385c5fab8ac34adf468fd4aa21bbf.png

@LukeJ I felt the same! This is supposed to be an impressive ship with exceptional guest experience. @Miss Lizzie's cruise shouldn't have ended up like this. The Disney Band sounds like it could be better once the ships are more advanced at using it, but if the ships doesn't offer the technology it's really just a room key. Based on your experience, I doubt you would end up cruising with the line again. There are too many other impressive cruise lines out there. With so many options, why stay with one that isn't meeting expectations?

• Like 1

@Cruising Caribbean I've heard many state that they wouldn't go on Disney again, and I do wonder if it's really worth the money. They are very expensive in my opinion, and that there are cheaper and better cruise lines out there for you to try instead. I understand that with Disney, everything will want me to be much bigger and brighter than anyone else, but that's not always the best way.

• Like 1