Covid 19 and Influenza Outbreak on Quantum of the Seas

The Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas has an outbreak of Covid 19 and Influenza A onboard. Original outbreak happened from sailing on 4/4/24 from Brisbane to Honolulu. A large number of people fell ill. Company is trying to keep it quiet. 4/19 to 4/29 Honolulu to Vancouver trip, boarded to room not cleaned or linen sheets changed. Ship blamed coast guard annual inspection. Tested and confirmed Covid and quarantined to cabin. A lot of sick crew and guests. Crew very sick in dining room and housekeeping. Housekeeping manager onboard after quarantine says rooms we are occupying had lots of Covid and influenza guests, didn’t get to clean them as well as wanted and ran out of time. Ship staff confirms outbreak but ship doesn’t report it to the us authorities like coast guard or cdc vessel sanitation program. People in quarantine getting cold food in cabins. Ship ran out of tests and supplies at one point in medical to treat the numerous crew and guests falling ill. Royal Caribbean doing their all to keep things quiet and not let it get out. CDC reported to meet ship and do inspections as well as coast guard after up to 5,000 guests have been in contact with COVID 19 or influenza a or fallen ill. Ship disembarks Monday 4/29 Vancouver Canada. Then sails to Alaska.

• Thanks 1

@Whistleblower2024 It's unfortunate an outbreak like this occurred. Unfortunately, viruses like this spread all too quickly. Were you cruising on either of these itineraries mentioned? I'm surprised the ship would have ran out of tests onboard. I'm more curious to learn about how this situation affected you? Did you become ill at some point? RCL is known to be a very clean ship. I would be very surprised with the bed linens weren't being properly sanitized, particularly if there was an alleged increase in sickness onboard. 

image.thumb.png.cc107df5c879b5b231015315fc8a7147.png

Yes I was aboard. Quarantined for 10 days. The US Coast Guard did their annual inspection in Honolulu on 4/19/24 when the Brisbane passengers disembarked and new passengers embarked. The guest service desk and housekeeping manager disclosed that the rooms were not cleaned because they were busy with the Coast Guard inspection and crew were needed elsewhere. They then said they would get to rooms as they could. The line of angry guests went a long long ways down the ship at guest services. The housekeeping manager also disclosed that many guest were sick on the floor we were on, and many other rooms as well as ship crew. 

• Thanks 1

@Whistleblower2024 That's so crazy! To think guests are still having to be quarantined for ten days despite the pandemic being "over" comes as a shock to me. I can't believe that the service desk and housekeeping manger disclosed this information to guests. Rooms not getting cleaned are unacceptable. I thought that would be against protocol. That's so intense! When an outbreak like this strikes, it's pretty hard to come back fro, especially if the rooms aren't being cleaned! Did you end up being quarantined onboard Quantum of the Seas? You weren't allowed to go to the buffet and pool areas?