Cruise Hive Boards

Anyone traveling Princess Regal to British Isles out of Southampton May 2024?

We are flying in to Heathrow the day before our cruise and I am thinking about spending the night in Southampton as opposed to spending the night at a Heathrow hotel and taking the cruise transportation to Southampton the next morning.

I am not sure of the best, easiest, and most economical way to get to Southampton the night before. I read that the National Express bus will take us from Heathrow to Southampton bus station but then I am not sure how to get to our hotel (it doesn't have a shuttle). I also read that people had trouble getting a taxi from the Bus station in Southampton.

We are considering the Moxy hotel in Southampton and (on the map) it looks like it might be walkable from the bus station, but since we won't get in to Southampton until early evening, I am not sure if it is safe to walk and if it is truly walkable with luggage.

There are only 2 of us. We don't want to drive ourselves and the car services I have seen are really expensive. Does Southampton have Uber/Lyft? Do they work the same way they do in the U.S. (phone app)?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

Chris

• Like 1

@ChrisP These area all great questions. I have been looking into some cruises that embark from Southampton, but I never got as far as to dig into these travel details. I'm curious to read others responses who have cruised out of this port in the past. The drive isn't too terrible; it looks like an hour and change. I would consider the bus system and then booking an Uber to the hotel of your choice. You could always Uber the entire way from the airport in Heathrow to your hotel in Southhampton. The best idea would probably be to decide when you land. I would check the cost of the Uber for the entire drive but also be ready to hop on the bus with the schedules in mind. Convenience would likely Uber, but I'm sure the bus situation would be more economical. It will be less hassle to just Uber directly and splurge a bit. Based on other's comments, I would not rent a car and drive yourself. Apparently parking and traffic in Southampton is costly and hard to come by. I have also looked into the Moxy hotel and it looks like a good option close to the port.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments. 

My husband hates to travel, so if there is any confusion or difficulties it will be hard to get him on another vacation. I like to be prepared as much as possible as far ahead as possible to keep the anxiety and frustration to a minimum.

I am still hoping for some first hand experience suggestions. We leave the U.S. on May 13th.

Thanks again.

@ChrisP I totally understand that! My husband doesn't always do well with unexpected changes either. It's always better to be over prepared than under prepared. You will be leaving pretty soon! You must be so excited. Based on this comment, I would recommend splurging on an Uber to and from the airport. I wouldn't risk ruining your husband's experience for $100. I would be much more convenient.