TRAVEL WARNING Amber Cove (Domican Republic & Haiti)

Currently Haiti has serious rebel unrest and U.S. citizens and U.S. Embassies are being evacuated.

The reason this is important is the port of Amber Cove is in Puerto Playa  region in the Dominican Republic which is near the Haiti/D.R boarder.

I would recommend serious caution about a visit to Amber Cove or any other part of Domican Republic. If U.S. people and Embassies are being evacuated then it's a serious situation and I've seen some news footage and looks pretty ugly.

Simply wanted to give you all some heads up in case you didn't know and are getting ready to travel to Amber Cove. Don't rely on CCL posting any warnings or cautions. 

Edited by euroguy

• euroguy changed the title to TRAVEL WARNING Amber Cove (Domican Republic & Haiti)

@euroguy Thanks for this forewarning. For those that may be unaware, Haiti is in a state of emergency and many cruise ships will be avoiding this area. If you are cruising to this area, you can expect an itinerary change or to plan on proceeding with extreme caution during this time. Labadee is another area in Haiti that cruisers should be cautious of during its current state. Hopefully, Haiti can get everything under control pretty quickly, but it may take some time considering the massive prison break that took place. All of this being said, it's always best to check the news and search advisories of all areas you travel to ahead of time to ensure you are properly prepared for each destination. 

@Kendall James-Vargas yeah Haiti is a mess and in comple anarchy at this time.

i am also concerned why CCL continues to go to Mahogany Bay (Jamaica) as Mahogany Bay is level 4 (highest threat level) and specifically listed by the State dept  which is advised not to go.

I'm certain that CCL can find more calm places to travel to that are equally or better.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@euroguy Thanks for this forewarning. For those that may be unaware, Haiti is in a state of emergency and many cruise ships will be avoiding this area. If you are cruising to this area, you can expect an itinerary change or to plan on proceeding with extreme caution during this time. Labadee is another area in Haiti that cruisers should be cautious of during its current state. Hopefully, Haiti can get everything under control pretty quickly, but it may take some time considering the massive prison break that took place. All of this being said, it's always best to check the news and search advisories of all areas you travel to ahead of time to ensure you are properly prepared for each destination. 

What cruise lines are avoiding the DR?

• Thanks 1

@euroguy In fact, you may be on to something. Now with RCL canceling ports of call to Labadee over the course of the next seven days, CCL is having to rethink its choices. CCL has notified guests that it will continue to visit Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic for the time being, while ensuring the areas safety at this time. Personally, I would be cautious while stopping at Amber Cove, but I'mm hopeful all of this local unrest will pass and settle quickly. 

@Old Cruiser RCL has released news that it will be pausing stops to Labadee for the time being, monitoring the situation and updating guests of changes as they occur. Currently, RCL is suspending visits to Labadee over the next seven days. We may be seeing more cruise lines doing the same in the coming days.

image.thumb.png.43041fdc0d38623eae1a8d2eabf20021.png

It's sad the CCL is not taking g safe guards for the guests...  but  I'm not surprised since not stopping at amber cove would cost ccl a lot as they own the amber cove port and all the goodies that travelers spend on would stop coming in which would greatly effect the bottom line. 

It seems like CCL has taken the same position with Mahogany Bay Jamaica which the State Dept. Has specifically listed Mahogany Bay as level 4 do not travel. 

If you recall on my previous trip to Mazatlan it to was level 4 by state dept and the drug cartel was blowing things up near the airport and shootings but CCL still stop at the port and literally didn't make any announcements to guest going ashore. I really don't understand this policy...well actually I do...it's called money.

• Like 1

@euroguy I don't disagree with the travel warnings about Haiti, DR, and Jamaica. However, the Mahogany Bay Port I'm familiar with is on the island of Roatan, Honduras. Is there also one in Jamaica? BTW - Honduras is not all that stellar of a country either.

I think this comes from 'Hill Street Blues' - Be Careful Out There!

@kefthecruiser I may have made a mistake with mahogany bay being Jamaica but I'm pretty sure I saw it. 

I just looked up honduras which is concering.... its level 3. Below is an out line posting proble.s With that said I still stand on my concerns with CCL not protecti g the best interest of its guests

Honduras

Safe for Americans?
Country Summary: Violent crime, such as homicide, armed robbery, and kidnapping, is common. Violent gang activity, such as extortion, violent street crime, rape, and narcotics and human trafficking, is widespread. Local police and emergency services lack sufficient resources to respond effectively to serious crime.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m supposed to be cruising with Carnival Cruise lines the week of April 12 through the 21st to Amber Cove and Romania Dominican Republic.. this worries me if Carnival is still going to go to this port, knowing it’s on a level 4.we should be heading to that port Amber Cove on the 17th and 18th on the other side la Romania…Just would like to know if Carnival would skip this port, but I’m seeing since they own it we’d probably still go knowing it’s so dangerous..

• Thanks 1

@Judith austin As of now you will make it to Amber Cove, but things are constantly changing! 

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-addresses-port-visits-to-hispaniola-after-haiti-violence/126129

If you do end up stopping in Amber Cove, I would recommend staying in the port area. I would be very careful to go off on your own considering the local circumstance in Haiti. An excursion booked through CCL should be a safe route! 

Which CCL ship will you be cruising on? I will keep my eyes peeled to see if anything changes. If you hear anything please let us know! 

image.thumb.png.7ab2325de9c47a6f1ac6221fed6e6788.png

@Judith austin Perhaps we all need to take a breath here. Haiti and the Dominican Republic are distinctly different countries with little in common. Yes, they are both on the island of Hispaniola and have a common border, however, even in 'normal' times there is limited travel between counties. The DR maintains a border patrol. 

People write about 'levels'. The only levels I know are the travel advisories issued by the US Department of State

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

SO, Haiti is 'Level 4 - Do Not Travel' and the DR is 'Level 2 - Exercise Increased Caution'. (To finish out the levels, Level 1 is 'Exercise Normal Precaution'; Level 3 is 'Reconsider Travel'.)

For fun, I looked up some other cruising paradises. Coming in as Level 2 are Cozumel, Costa Maya, Bahamas, and Belize. Level 3 includes Jamaica and Honduras. Certainly, not all-inclusive; use the link to check any country. You won't find Puerto Rico or St Thomas listed (they are not foreign countries).

• Like 1

@kefthecruiser Thanks for clarifying this information! Since the DR is not Haiti, the travel advisories for those two areas are distinctly different. I'm glad you shared what the advisories are currently for both DR and Haiti. For a level 2 area, I would say you are say to travel and proceed with caution. I wouldn't be so sure about getting off on a level 4 travel, but @Judith austin's cruise is stopping in the DR it should be fine to proceed as normal. I always recommend proceeding with caution if it's a new-to-you area. Always keep you eyes aware and guard up, but Amber Cove should be a safe bet for your upcoming sailing. 

@Judith austin Have you been to either of these destinations before? I have been to Amber Cove a few times recently, and the port is really nice and safe. Venturing outside of the port is one of those things I typically opt out of if I don't book an excursion through the cruise line because I cruise with young children. If I felt safe walking around Amber Cove with toddlers bobbing around everywhere, I think you will feel the same way too!

On 3/13/2024 at 10:15 PM, euroguy said:

@Kendall James-Vargas yeah Haiti is a mess and in comple anarchy at this time.

i am also concerned why CCL continues to go to Mahogany Bay (Jamaica) as Mahogany Bay is level 4 (highest threat level) and specifically listed by the State dept  which is advised not to go.

I'm certain that CCL can find more calm places to travel to that are equally or better.

Mahogany Bay is a CCL port in the Bay Islands of Honduras.

• Thanks 1

@Harriet Thanks for that! Mahogany Bay is in fact in Honduras. Many people get it confused to be in Jamaica, and I think it's because of Montego Bay. Montego Bay is a beach town west of Falmouth, Jamaica. It's a lovely port to explore! Jamaica is currently at a level three travel advisory, meaning you should reconsider travel at this time. Have you cruised to Jamaica in the past?

image.thumb.png.7cc927630e3c78ca3c2ca41900c291ad.png

• 3 weeks later...

@euroguy RCL is continuing to suspend stops in Labadee through May 2024. Several itineraries have been impacted by these changes, but I commend the line for taking such precautions. The impacted itineraries will reroute to alternate nearby destinations that have not been yet determined. It have been stated that 53,000 people have left Port-au-Prince due to local food shortage. This area is really struggling hard! 

image.thumb.png.77c8477e22c9a46993c1323ced1172f3.png

@Cruising Caribbean im glad that other cruise lines are taking a proactive approach to the situation with Haiti which boarders Domican Rebulic.  I know others have said that Domican Republic has a strongly enforced boarder and John Heald posted that Amber Cove is 200 or so miles away from the boarder, but when people get desperate i.e. starving or bad actors a strong boarder can only be so strong and probably has weaknesses and I'm certain that some have already gotten across into D.R. it doesn't take many to cause issues. Look at what has happened here in the U.S. how a few bad actors can cause chaos and worse and thwy travel hundreds of miles. Just my two cents. I personally wouldn't go back to D.R. right now as you just don't know what will happen and the situation is a powder kag. 

• Like 1

@euroguy I completely agree with that! Haiti and parts of the DR are struggling big time. The population is struggling and getting desperate, often causing survival instincts to turn corrupt and disrupt the current structures in place. The better safe than sorry analogy is appropriate here. It's wiser not to take a chance and stop elsewhere for the time being. I'm hopeful the region will get back on it's feet sooner than later, but recovering from a breakout like this take lots of time and effort!