REVIEW CCL Bus Transfer Orland to Port & Back

Hello thought some people might like to know what to expect from the CCL bus service to and from port/ Orlando Airport.

For the 1st time out of all of the cruises I've been on I decided to give Carnivals bus transfer service to and from the port a try.

To start off with the bus stall number is #4 located on level one for transportation in terminal B.  

Now the process... I flew in the night prior and expect most would as well. You will need to return to orlando airport terminal B and will be dropped off at the departures level. Then Take an elevator down to level 1. Depending on where you get dropped off it could be a very long walk as the check in counter is near bus stall is #4. Which is where you will board the bus.

Check in process was fairly painless, give the your booking number and name then they give you a boarding ticket. Then you wait. Boarding tickets are different colors for different boarding times/bus. There was a large crowed waiting which I discovered that NCL boards bus at the same exact location. Someone from CCL will announce your ticket number and everyone lines up luggage in tow then drop off luggage next to bus and boards the bus and off to see the wizard you go. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get to the port.

In my case I set a 10 a.m. boarding time arrived at 9a checked in and unfortunately the 1st bus was already full and did t get to leave until 10:30a.

When arriving at the port you leave your bags at the bus and you start the boarding process.  I had a priority boarding and literally as fast as I could walk is how long it took for me to be on the ship... maybe 10-15 minutes after arrival at port I was on the ship. I did see a line for non priority boarding which looked long and much slower.

Debarkation for me was very simple, once more priority debarkation and I have TSA Pre Check along with passport, all of these items seem to help speed up all the processes boarding and debarkation along with airports. 

Night before I left luggage out in hall of cabin. Next morning (debarkation) I walked off the ship, found my luggage, walked to line for passport holders, someone scanned my face and off I went passing by customes, never needed to see a customs officer. I did see other going through actual customs. Located my bus to head back to airport got in line and off I went back to Orlando Airport terminal B to catch my flight home. I was off ship and at my bus in about 15 minutes.

Port Canaveral for me was very streamlined in every aspect.

With that all said I do make sure to adhear to customs limits and don't carry any questionable items in luggage. I do think because having a passport and going through the tsa pre check system also really aids in the security/customs process as you have to go through a background check with FBI and Homeland security, this is just a guess, but I've never been questioned about declaration or bags checked.

Would I do it again? It depends on the port, timing, cost factors and hotel or no hotel. As for the system it seemed to work on this trip.

Would be great to hear others experiences regarding Orlando Airport transportation to port and your Port Canaveral boarding experience.

Final note... if my flight arrive early enough the day prior I would probably would catch an uber or other shuttle service to the Holiday Inn Express in Port Canaveral as it's located directly across the street from the port, the I would be less rushed/stressed could sleep in a bit, have decent breakfast and simply walk across the street check in bags and board.

Edited by euroguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@euroguy Thanks for this awesome review of your experience at Port Canaveral! Since this port is a bit smaller than some of the other major Florida cruise ports, like Fort Lauderdale and Miami, I think the process is much better in comparison. I'm glad to hear it all went so smoothly for you. I have had both experiences at the port, and I think it almost depends on the day! The fact that you get priority embarkation and disembarkation really helps with the transition on and off of the ship. As someone who doesn't have those benefits, I see a lag in the process, but I'm willing to wait patiently if the process is organized. If the process is disorganized, I get pretty aggravated. How was the cost of the CCL bus service? The one downside to flying into Orlando is the distance to the port. I wish that the two were closer! If you didn't take the shuttle, I would imagine the car service to and from the port would have cost a pretty penny.

@3Sisters hello... the CCL bus service was $35 each way which is reasonable considering the distance. It would have cost me around $70 to take a lyft or uber. I have heard that it's cheaper to get a lyft or uber away from airport but I have not checked that out.

I have heard that I could rent a car for $35-40 and drive it one way to the port area and they have a car rental office near the port. I would probably look into that next time.

I agree with you that I wish the port was closer. I think with the high weekly number of people traveling to and from the cruise port (not just ccl) that the state might consider running a train line between the airport or near by and cruise port with no stops inbetween.  I think the would be more efficient in moving people back and forth and allow the state to make a few bucks. 

What do you thinkabout those ideas?

• Like 1

@euroguy That's a great cost! Any cruiser cruising with CCL out of Port Canaveral should absolutely consider using this service. I would absolutely use it after flying into Orlando; it's quite a distance to the port from the airport! Lyft/Uber is at least double each way. It's also worth mentioning that CCL's transport is reliable and will ensure you get onboard regardless of any hiccups along the way. There is the Brightline tram now that runs up and down the eastern part of the state. I have heard talks about an extension to the port. These are the current routes for the Brightline. 

https://www.gobrightline.com/train-stations/fl/orlando

@euroguy Did you see the recent news? 

https://www.cruisehive.com/new-transportation-option-coming-for-port-canaveral-cruisers/126014

The Brightline, that 3Sisters mentioned, will be opening a new station near Port Canaveral! This would make transport to and from the Orlando airport to the cruise port that much simpler. The Brightline travels south, down the east coast of Florida, making travel to other south Florida regions easy and convenient. 

You were right on the money with a train/tram system to and from the cruise port/airport! 

image.thumb.png.42a8bfb979c09d435f91dd98f8005d0f.png 

@euroguy It's impressive for sure! Are any of the future cruises you are looking at out of Port Canaveral? I would say the next cruise you book out of Port Canaveral you should consider taking the Brightline once that stop is open. With the amount of traffic that area gets, it's about time it invests in better public transit systems that run to the port. Once the Aquarium opens up over there, it's going to be another huge attraction. Thee timing of this new Port Canaveral Brightline stop and the opening of the local Aquarium is quite uncanny! 

@Kendall James-Vargas well I'm currently looking at a couple different cruises out of Florida one out of port Canaveral and one out of Miami.

I'm pretty sure that the brightline stop for port Canaveral won't be completed that quickly as there will be lots of red tape and funding to be gotten  then construction. 

But eventually it should make things much better. I do know CCL is looking to switch ports at port Canaveral as they have out grown the current location and looking to make a move in 2026.

@euroguy I don't think that the new Brightline stop will be completed by then. My advice would be to wait until the Brightline stop is ready to roll! Miami is a great embarkation port when it comes to accessibility. Although Miami is very busy and gets chaotic, the public transit system is pretty great. It's been around for quite a while so Port Miami has it's operations pretty much down to a science. Of course, it doesn't operate without flaws, but it's one of those ports you can't go wrong with. You have cruised out of Port Miami recently haven't you? Do you think that CCL would stop cruising out of Port Canaveral completely? I find that unlikely. 

@Kendall James-Vargas I don't think CCL will leave port Canaveral but in 2026 CCL is looking to change to a different location in Port Canaveral as it will be larger than the current location. This tells me that CCL is looking at the short view to increase the volume of cruises going out of port Canaveral.

Its been over 10 years since i last cruised out from Port of Miami. Back then I was gold level and really don't recall how it was...it's all a blur all these years later. Now I get priority boarding and sure that would make for a great boarding experience from Port Miami. 

My biggest issue is trying to decide which cruise to take in Feb or March 2025. I get free balcony on hundreds of ccl cruises to select from but have narrowed it down to 4 choices.

1)  3/22-30/2025  8 day - Port Canaveral - Vista. Amber Cove DR, San Juan PR, St Maarten VI, St Thomas VI

Already been to Amber Cove and San Juan, would stay on ship at amber cove, more things to see in Peurto Rico.

2)  2/15-23/2025 8 day - Port Miami - Horizon  -- Aruba, Curacau, Bonaire 

Never been to any of these stops

3)  3/22-30/2025 8 day - Port Miami - Magic Amber Cove DR, San Juan PR, St Maarten VI, St Thomas VI

Same as choice #1 but out of different port and different ship

4) 2/15-23/2025 8 day - Port Tampa - Legend - Limon Costa Rica, Colon Panama, Grand Cayman

I'm leaning towards #2  but just not sure as I would like to see the Virgin Islands and #4 is an unusual cruise going g to different and unusual ports, but in few years when i retire I will most likely do a transatlantic Panama Canal cruise

I'm interested in hearing others input

• Thanks 1

@euroguy That sounds more like it! I'm glad you clarified that! CCL has been cruising out of Port Canaveral for quite some time and has been pretty loyal. It makes sense to me that CCL will be expanding its sailings out of Port Canaveral. I didn't realize it has been that long since you have cruised out of Port Miami. It's still has hectic as ever, but operations run generally pretty smoothly now since its added terminals and more. Priority boarding out of Port Miami is going to be a much better experience. As someone who boards as a regular passenger, I can guarantee the process is very congested and not a cake walk. With your priority boarding perk, you will likely have a good experience the next time you cruise out of Port Canaveral. 

I have cruised to many of those ports before, and I would personally choose number four due to the itinerary. Number two's itinerary is a good one too. I don't think you could wrong with either. Have you cruised out of Tampa before?  The flight cost to Tampa is usually more than to Miami. I always find the cheaper flights going into Miami. Avoiding Spring Break would be ideal. The dates of number one and three are going to likely attract a spring break crowd, filled with kids. That's something to keep in mind.