Smart elevators

What happens when the kids come along and push multiple floors multiple times?  Wife and I were just talking about “smart elevators” last nite.  We haven’t experienced them yet, but if they are similar to “smart phones”, I say no thank you.  Life is getting to complicated.  

• Thanks 1

Ok, this is another of someone’s “brilliant ideas” that is and will cause more confusion than needed!  Why doesn’t Carnival spend money on more user friendly and useful passenger amenities such as better food and more private/adult only spaces on board.  What a waste of money and a lost opportunity to do some improvements that will really enhance the cruising experience rather than frustrate travelers (especially handicapped passengers, I feel your particular pain)!

• Like 1

On paper, smart elevator sounds like a fantastic idea. It's simplistic, helpful and very modern and stylish. When I first read about them, I did think it was ideal, however I have now read negative views about them, not working properly, no good and I wonder why. I understand the frustration of technology that doesn't work, and I appreciate most things go down time to time. However surely this is a clever design that can make people's lives easier.

First there were smartphones and I've forgotten how to use my camera and cd player. Then there were smart TVs and I have trouble finding my local news station among the hundreds of channels. Now there are smart elevators that we all need to be retrained on how to use. All this smartie tech just makes me feel dumb!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't walk or use stairs I usually rent a scooter so I can use while I'm on board LOL likeability of me getting it elevator that will fit me and a scooter and a caretaker is almost unlikely because most people use the elevator instead of taking the stairs when they're able trust me if I was not in a scooter or needed a wheelchair I would be on those stairs every time I leave my room world's gone lazy and not very sincere

16 hours ago, FJB said:

What happens when the kids come along and push multiple floors multiple times?  Wife and I were just talking about “smart elevators” last nite.  We haven’t experienced them yet, but if they are similar to “smart phones”, I say no thank you.  Life is getting to complicated.  

with the smart elevator you push the button outside the elevator and there are no buttons inside.    so it pretty much deters the kids pushing the buttons thing.        The  big challange for many is that the just get in expecting to push a button and since they can't it causes them grief.  they have to go to wherever the elevator is going and then get out go to the panel select where they want to go then wait for the elevator that it tells them to wait for which will go where they want.

• Thanks 1

@paulellisparker I have used smart elevators, and I really love them! I haven't seen the wheelchair icon on the cruise lines I have been on. I find them to be more efficient and they make less unnecessary stops. Wheelchairs on elevators, just like strollers, can be difficult because they take alot of space and the elevators get full easily. I wish more people were open to taking the stairs during the day. It would make the elevators more available for those that truly need it. As long as I'm not dressed up for dinner in heels or lugging my young children around, I'm more than willing to take the stairs. It's great exercise anyways! 

Smart elevator. Stupidest thing I've ever heard. If the ship only had one or two elevators then maybe but in the middle you got what like 8? You dont need any such garbage there!  Carnival spends their money on the dumbest stuff! How bout spending money to bring the MDR menus up to at least Royal Carribean status? I'd be good with thst!

We've been on several CCL ships with these smart elevators along with using them in a couple of office towers I've visited.  Yes, it is a different process.  And, yes, it does put you a bit off-guard the first few times you use them because it breaks down all of the years of learned behavior on what you do to ride an elevator.  The biggest shock to the system is the "need" to push your floor button when you enter — which of course, those buttons don't exist.

But, once you get the idea, it really is a great advancement and SO simple.  When your elevator arrives, you get in and it takes you to your desired floor.  Easy.  Change is hard, I get that.  But, if some people had their way, we'd still be driving horse-drawn carriages instead of cars.  Imagine the shock of learning how to drive a car during the early years of automobiles.

So, embrace the change, and open yourself up to learning something new.  Who knows, you might just like it.

• Thanks 1

@RoadTravelled I appreciate your perspective here. On my last cruise I felt so foolish looking for the floor buttons once inside the elevator! Honestly, the smart elevators simplify the process. If you are drinking, all you have to do is hop on and hitch a ride. It puts you out wherever you need to be! I really like the smart elevators, but I don't cruise with a mobility device and if I did I may feel differently about it all. I like the way you put it; change is hard. It's an adjustment but when looking back, I prefer this way over the old one. I have found it to be more efficient and timely as well. During peak hours (like dinner time) I remember waiting for over 10 minutes or more for an elevator! Don't knock it till you try it! It's a pretty great advancement to me. 

• Like 1