Gwen Stefafni Becomes Godmother

Carnival Jubilee has officially announced its Godmother, Gwen Stefani! At the end of this month, Stefani will christen Carnival Jubilee at the Port of Galveston in a grand ceremony, like CCL always does. She surely deserves this title! I love Gwen Stefani, and I hope she sneaks in a song during the ceremony on February 24, 2024. As a person from the 90s, she's a true icon in my eyes. image.thumb.png.2ac29ea44602ee2d4444338cd904afa4.png

@KeithG That is so awesome! What a perfect way to kick off this incredible ship. I'm already playing her songs on repeat today in honor of Gwen becoming godmother. She's an icon for sure, and the title of godmother for Carnival Jubilee is well deserved. Not only is Carnival Jubilee going to have a noteworthy naming ceremony but the ship will also be home porting out of its new Galveston terminal. Terminal 25 underwent extensive upgrades that cost $53 million. Part of the port expansion will include more parking for cruises guests, totaling over 500 additional parking spots in the Express Lot!

image.thumb.png.678bb79bda72fc840eba5cb793767484.png

@Kendall James-Vargas Yep, invitaiton only according to the email, although it will  be shown on all the screens. Should be fun though and maybe the later departure will help with traffic around the terminals. 

Here is part of the email they sent us:

Dear Diamond & Platinum Guests,

You may have heard that Carnival Jubilee’s naming ceremony will be taking place Saturday, February 24.  

To ensure a smooth experience for our guests and manage all the activities, Terminal Arrival Appointments will begin at noon. Please DO NOT arrive prior to your Terminal Arrival Appointments as they will be STRICTLY ENFORCED and all guests who arrive outside their designated times will be asked to return.

Although the ceremony itself will be an invitation-only affair, we are delighted to share that it will be televised on big screens around the vessel, starting at 3:30 PM. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Kendall James-Vargas They showed it live on the big screen by the pool and it was a good time for sure. I believe Gwen Stefani sang a few songs but the broadcast cut out during that portion. The ceremony was fun and different from the normal cruise departure so can't really complain about that. It was well done and the Jubilee is fantastic. 

• Like 1

@KeithG That's awesome! It must have been a blast watching it on the big screen out by the pool. I wish you got the chance to see Gwen Stefani's performance. I love her voice so much. Many of her songs are iconic and bring me back to those younger years of my life. I'm glad CCL was able to make the departure stand out amongst other departures. I would love to hear more about Carnival Jubilee! Do you plan to go back again soon? How does it compare to any other CCL fleet members you have cruised on?

@Kendall James-Vargas We enjoyed the Jubilee, I was skeptical due to the size and capacity. Truly a well done ship and never really felt crowded in general. Having been on a bunch of different Carnival ships of varying age and size, it was odd to be on a ship where everything was working and no signs of rust or wear and tear. 

Especially appreciated the Serenity adults only area, very nicely done, has enough areas for sun and shade plus a small pool. I think there is something for everyone on that ship. If I had to question anything about the design it would be the location and layout of the Havana section. This is the private area where only people that are staying in those cabins can access most of the areas including the pool and outside bar. On the Jubilee it wraps around the front of the ship on Deck 8, with the pool and outdoor bar on one side towards the stern. Haven't stayed in Havana  on Jubilee but have been in the Havana Cabana and Suites on the Vista several times and I really appreciated that it wrapped around the stern and the pool/hot tubs and bar were at the very back. Out of the wind, well balanced and easily accessed by those on the port and starboard sides. Just nitpicking there but that is the reason we haven't booked the Havana area yet on Jubilee. 

We have booked Jubilee again, 2 more times on the books so far within the next 12 months. 

• Like 1

@KeithG Since I'm not a mega ship-lover, I was very curious if Carnival Jubilee would be a ship you enjoyed, but it sounds so well done! CCCL does know what it's doing in terms of attracting/serving various guests with various interests. I'm also very surprised to read it never felt crowded! For a newer ship, still working out it's kinks, I didn't expect to read such a review. 

It seems you really enjoyed you cruise onboard Carnival Jubilee and are anticipating your next cruises onboard the ship! Will your upcoming cruises on the ship be differing itineraries/staterooms than your previous sailing? 

@Kendall James-Vargas Of the two upcoming cruises on Jubilee, one is in the exact same cabin we have been in on the recent cruise and the next is same location one deck higher.

Actually for now Jubilee only has one itinerary or two if you count the occasional reverse port order. It goes to Roatan, Honduras and Costa Maya followed by Cozumel in Mexico. I like Roatan and Cozumel so its not an issue. Carnival does have a few options for other itineraries and is bringing in some smaller ships that take longer cruises.

• Like 1

@KeithG That means you must have loved your last cabin! I love that you were able to get the exact same one for one of those itineraries. The itineraries seem similar, but if you enjoy the ship and those destinations it's perfect for you. What do you typically do when you are in Roatan and Cozumel? When in Cozumel I have always gone to a beach club with all the amenities and it's very convenient. The last time I went the beaches were infiltrated with seaweed! Did you experience that on your recent cruise? I still got in the ocean but it was a nuisance. I preferred kayaking over swimming that time around. 

RCL actually announced it's new beach club in Cozumel, Royal Beach Club! 

image.thumb.png.6679ed27cf571b0c92c0a3ac8b349aaa.png

@Kendall James-Vargas In both Roatan and Cozumel we've seen most of the tourist sites so we enjoy going to the beaches. I bring my snorkel gear. In Cozumel we usually find one of the smaller private all-inclusive locations and in Roatan the last time we decided to try Carnival's beach right by the port. We see it everytime we dock there and always thought we should try it so this time we did, we didn't need to book anything, it's free so we just literally walked over there. Suprisingly not crowded. 

We actually cancelled a cruise to Key West & Bahamas this fall and swapped it with a trip on Jubilee. Decided to wait until next year when the much hyped Celebration Key opens. 

I've only experienced the sea weed issue one time and I believe it was in Progresso, Mx some years ago. I've had pretty good luck although the last trip to Cozumel on Jubilee the current was very, very strong just offshore. As long as you swam into the current and floated back you were ok but that sure could have been embarassing calling for help. I try to stay in good shape but that was pretty taxing even with fins. 

• Thanks 1

@KeithG It's awesome you bring your own snorkel gear! I would like to get my own gear and bring it along while I cruise. It's such a great idea. What did you think of CCL's beach area in Roatan? It sounds like a no brainer, not crowded and free are two great selling points. That's a smart idea to wait until the hype of Celebration Key dies down. I expect it to be so awesome and popular. I'm not going to lie; I'm all into the hype! 

When seaweed is around, it's almost impossible to avoid it. I was so bummed seeing all the seaweed because I have always had such lovely beach experiences in Cozumel. I wish there was a way to predict the amount of seaweed on the shore. If I would have known beforehand I probably would have planned another type of excursion. I can imagine that made snorkeling pretty trying! Do you wear a vest when you snorkel so you don't to work too hard? I always use a vest so I can just float around like a turtle, relaxing the whole time. 

image.thumb.png.7fab1949c542fa8e4f024cc5e6d1d486.png

@Kendall James-Vargas Yep, I'm pretty particular about my gear so I pack my own and keep it in good shape. 

I was pleasantly surprised by Carnival's beach in Roatan, it always looked clean and orderly from the ship and it turned out to be that way. Not the greatest snorkeling in Roatan but sufficient and the beach itself was nice. 

Looking forward to Celebration Key, certainly stepping up the game for Carnival. Also interested to see the pricing for the different activities. 

I don't usually wear a vest when snorkeling but sometimes they force you to wear one. In that case I usually don't blow it up. I like to dive down when I can so that is somewhat restrictive. No shame on those that wear them because it can get very tiring. 

• Like 1

@KeithG I would be too, but I would need to learn the tips and tricks. I'm seriously tired of borrowing snorkel gear and it tasting/reeking of pine sol. Have you experienced that before? Every time I have borrowed/rented gear it always has an awful chemical fragrance that makes me not even want to use it. That alone should have deterred me and led me to purchase my own. I guess I just don't use it enough. I only use it when I'm cruising. Do you use your gear other times of the year? 

Do you expect the prices at Celebration Key to be unreasonable? I would imagine Celebration Key's prices may be a bit higher than Half Moon Cay. After all, everything will be new and exciting! I know some of the amenities will likely be worth the extra bump anyhow. 

Do you use an oxygen tank when you dive? I'm more of a vested surface snorkeler. I'm like turtle/manatee style, and you are more like dolphin/stingray style. I would love to get on your level, but packing your fins is a whole other level of snorkeling I haven't dabbled in. I would also imagine you are likely in better shape than I am!

@Kendall James-Vargas Yep, I've experienced the unique smells and flavors of rapidly cleaned snorkel equipment. Mostly its the quality of the equipment that I don't like and the stylish curling of the fins. I rarely use my equipment when not cruising but you only have to buy it once. My fins are nice but are slightly shorter to facilitate travel. If you get a good mask and prepare it you rarely have leaking or fogging.

I would expect the prices at Celebration Key to be surprisingly high. Of course all of these are voluntary so no quarrels there, pick and choose. I'll give it a shot just to see, might be worth it for sure. I really only need a nice, clean beach. Not much more, not looking for the Disneyland experience. 

No oxygen for me, once you start using oxygen its a much more serious adventure. I'm looking for a beach, a snorkel and a beer. Most of the things to see can be seen in relatively shallow water within easy swim of the beach. I try to stay in reasonably good shape but even for those that aren't the main thing is stay within your abilities or you can panic and that will ruin your breathing. 

• Like 1

@KeithG The fin designs didn't even cross my mind! I'm glad I'm not the only one that has been disgusted by used snorkel gear. From what you are telling me, I would need to really do some research about what gear I would enjoy most. I would buy the fancy mermaid fins because they are cute and not even realize they are incredibly impractical for snorkeling. 

I'm also very intrigued to see how Celebration Key will be. Typically, I don't spend on extras when at private islands. I want a beach umbrella, and unlimited bottled water. One thing I love about private islands is using my drink package at the beach. Although I don't tend to drink alcohol on the beach because it makes me dehydrated, other hydrating drinks are much appreciated! 

The last time I snorkeled I happened to bring a float along with me because I didn't have a vest. I also try to maintain decent shape, but snorkeling without a flotation device will make me tire out too quickly. After an hour or more of intense snorkeling, you certainly have earned a beer in the shade!

image.png.96f8205181f55f39e798adba4163ac70.png